Any Labadee damage?

IrishCC

It appears that Haiti has sustained a lot of damage from the storms . . . .Does anyone know if Labadee has sustained any damage?

We were there on Monday and there was no damage that we could tell at that time...

Good to hear about Labadee, but I feel really bad for all the Haitian's that have been effectived by all these storms.

We do as well. Even the day we were there the people that work there did not get the tip money that they would normally have because of the weather. Very few people stayed on the beaches.The very first beach had some people on it, but that was it. We were able to get off early and we walked to Dragon's Breath, but by that time it started to rain so we went back to the ship.

We do as well. Even the day we were there the people that work there did not get the tip money that they would normally have because of the weather. Very few people stayed on the beaches.The very first beach had some people on it, but that was it. We were able to get off early and we walked to Dragon's Breath, but by that time it started to rain so we went back to the ship.

I'm sorry to hear about the weather on your day in Labadee Keggy, how was the rest of your cruise?

In agree the govmt or what they call one is VERY corrupt! BUT...........this has been bothering me very much as I would really like to find a way to help the people! I just picture the folks behind the chain fence! Labadee is one of our favorite ports but my heart breaks for the people and it's not their fault about the govmt! I live in RI and trust me I know about corrupt! We NEED to find a way to help these folks! If you read the reports they have been stranded on rooftops without even a sip of water and they have lost SO many lives and now IKE hit them! If anyone knows a way we can all help PLEASE post!

The gov't. in Haiti is corrupt--that's why the country is in such turmoil and poverty all the time. I wouldn't send any cash--it won't go to those who really need it.

Kinda like the tens of millions of dollars in donations or charity mishandled or otherwise squandered in the aftermath of Katrina, right? Personally, I don't really differentiate between government corruption (Haiti) and the raw incompetence of a government (United States) in situations like these. I'll still do whatever I can.

To answer hazmatt's question, you could look into the Lambi Fund of Haiti.

Thanks for the info Davey, That organization really looks like they are helping in the right way, Trying to find solutions instead of just giving money. I hope more people can give. Looks like a lot of devastation down there and they can use all the help they can get.

I really feel bad for all those affected by this years tropical weather. Haiti seems to have been devastated. I want to do something but agree that it is difficult to get help to those who need it. I'll check out the charity mentioned. I even suggested to DH last night that maybe we could give some money to the Haitians working at Labadee when we visit in a few weeks that way we would know that a person in need received it and not a gov't official. I'm not sure how that would go over though. And I don't think money is necessarily their immediate need although they could eventually use it. I know they need food, water, and basic necessities at the moment. The news stories I have read are just so sad.

The gov't. in Haiti is corrupt--that's why the country is in such turmoil and poverty all the time. I wouldn't send any cash--it won't go to those who really need it.

Actually, the reason Haiti is in such turmoil and poverty is due to something which happened about 200 years ago - namely the only successful slave revolt in the Western Hemisphere. The consequences of this were, and are, devastating.

Haiti will always suffer more than others in hurricanes due to the country being almost entirely denuded of forests, there is nothing to stop the flow of water, resulting in unbelievable flooding.

There are aid organizations to which money can be safely donated for the purpose of aiding Haitians.

Archived