Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

Hubby and I will be on Uniworld from Cologne to Basel. We leave the Sat after Thanksgiving. We are taking the train from Basel to Bern for 1 day and then to Munich for 2 more nights. Last year we also cruised with Uniworld from Vienna to Nuremberg and then took the train to Munich. Christmas markets are spectacular! I've done a coach tour a few years ago and also took a train from Rome to Munich for the markets. In addition to the gluhwein look for the gingerbread (I like the Elisenlebkuchen) and other cookies and candies. Every town will have at least 1 wood carving booth, where you can find nativity figurines (all sizes and prices). At least the dollar is gaining some against the Euro. Also look for wooden toys for children and straw stars and the oddity of "prune people". Wooden pyramids are nice also, but pricey. Make sure that things are made in Germany. If it is low in price, it is probably made in China.

Hi there ,

My husband and I are travelling on the Avalon Tranquility over Christmas! We leave Canada on December 24th and arrive in Prague on Christmas Day then on to the boat on the 27th in Germany. We end up in Vienna for New Years Eve so should be a fun filled week, especially seeing my birthday is the 28th as well!

This is our first cruise and first time over seas. This board has certainly provided much information and hours of enjoyment.

Looking forward to talking with all you "Christmasy" travellers.

Cheers,

Stephanie

This is turning out to be a good topic. My wife and I are from SE Virginia - Yorktown / Williamsburg area. We have gone on several Ocean cruise ships and liked them. We have traveled quite a bit in Europe over the last few years to include Rome for Christmas and Venice for New Years.

A recommendation for everyone who will doing "too much" shopping. Sign up for a FedEx account at their web site and get an account number. You can go to a FedEx drop box and pre fill some shipping labels and take them with you. The cost of shipping using your account # rather than paying in cash in Europe is a lot cheaper!!!! Then FedEx just bills you (or your credit card) directly in US dollars.

Welcome to the new Christmas Cruisers Yaya& Papu (gotta tell me how you came up with that name as i am sure there is a story), StephandJeff, and second seating (I can guess where you got that name! :D)

A recommendation for everyone who will doing "too much" shopping. Sign up for a FedEx account at their web site and get an account number. You can go to a FedEx drop box and pre fill some shipping labels and take them with you. The cost of shipping using your account # rather than paying in cash in Europe is a lot cheaper!!!! Then FedEx just bills you (or your credit card) directly in US dollars.

Oh Fred! This is just going to get me into that much more trouble now! I want to thank you for the great idea but I have a feeling my husband won't be so happy! :D

Hello everyone and hi again WIT!

My DH Dave and I are looking forward to our very first AMA Waterways Amadeus cruise on 12/6 leaving Amsterdam to Trier on the boat, then three day post cruise in beautiful Paris. Not only is this our first river cruise but our first time in Europe We are SO excited and a little apprehensive too!

Thanks for starting this thread! So great to hear about everyone's upcoming adventures.

:) Cherie

And another question, what are the wood carvings that have lights in them that people put in their front windows? Any name for those? I loved them and managed to bring one back before and will find another one this time I hope.

In our part of the woods they are called "Weihnachtslichterbogen" (Christmas Light Arch). They come in various shapes arched / triangle, various colours white / red and with varying numbers of candles (lights) 5, 7 10 etc.

I do not know where the use of such lights comes from (maybe just a Chrsitmas gimmick), but in our village there is a tradition whereby if someone has left home or is missing, then a lighted candle is placed in a window (at Christmas time on on their birthday) to guide them home.

Ron

light1.jpg.f694a18218ec0bc56ed54cb4ac889f4e.jpg

light2.jpg.b851747e94f97e189f1e8b13c20f8ca7.jpg

I purchased a "Weihnachtslichterbogen" (Christmas Light Arch) last year on our Christmas Markets tour. Later I realized that there was a difference in the plug and voltage. :mad: Decided to use an adaptor and give it a go, and it works. :) :) I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Pam,

We have been on cruises on the Seine, the Rhone, the Peruvian Amazon, the Nile, the Elbe and 3 weeks from the Black Sea to Amsterdam. Also a cruise around So. America with Uniworld (no longer available). This will be our 7th river cruise with another booked for April 2009--Antwerp to Basel. We have gone on 3 ocean cruises with Oceania. We SKI--spend kid's inheritance. We leave for a cruise from Montreal to NYC on Friday--never been to the Maritimes. No shopping on that one, saving the pennies for all those Christmas markets. Since you have already been, do they sell Glugwein in botles? Would really like to bring some home as gifts. This is a great thread--thanks for starting it. Travel safely. Pat

I purchased a "Weihnachtslichterbogen" (Christmas Light Arch) last year on our Christmas Markets tour. Later I realized that there was a difference in the plug and voltage. :mad: Decided to use an adaptor and give it a go, and it works. :) :) I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Susan, I am lucky enough that my DH changed the plug for me. I am going to try and attach a pic of it as it's a little different than the ones Ron posted.

Pacmom, I like your "SKI" term! :D Sounds like you have been on some amazing trips! To be so lucky! Have a great time on your cruise this week. It is a fall colors cruise or too early in the season for that? I don't remember if they sold the wine in the bottle or not. Like I said, I'm not much of a wine drinker. I did find lots of other things to drink in bottles at the markets that I brought home as gifts though! Another thing to maybe think about is that each Christmas Market has a different mug they sell that you can collect. Those were kind of cute.

Welcome to river cruising Cherie! Sounds like you picked a super trip for your very first visit to Europe! Nothing to be apprehensive about, just roll with the flow and you will be fine, in my opinion. Just can't let the little things bother you.

and Ron, can you somehow teach me over the internet how to pronounce that word for Christmas Light Arch?

Cheers!

1900003570_woodxmastree.jpg.69862c1b1ee9046df5b24d959ee22672.jpg

What a great thread!

It's so nice to join a thread on river cruising for once, there seem to be very few of us on cruise critic.

We are booked on the December 6th Danube Holiday Market Cruise on the Uniworld River Empress from Passau to Budapest.

This is our 2nd Uniworld holiday market cruise, the first was in 2005. We did the Rhine & Main markets from Wurzburg to Cologne on the River Queen.

Love Uniworld and love the Christmas markets. We'd been talking about our '05 trip forever until we just said - "let's stop talking about it and just do it again!"

My favorite souveniers from that trip were the glass ornaments we bought, a nutcracker, the gluewein mugs from different cities, wooden lebkuchen molds, and one of those wooden windown thingies :)

If you haven't tried it before, be sure to get some currywurst at the markets. Its bratwurst in a kind of sweet curry-like sauce...and it's gooooood!

What a great thread!

It's so nice to join a thread on river cruising for once, there seem to be very few of us on cruise critic.

We are booked on the December 6th Danube Holiday Market Cruise on the Uniworld River Empress from Passau to Budapest.

This is our 2nd Uniworld holiday market cruise, the first was in 2005. We did the Rhine & Main markets from Wurzburg to Cologne on the River Queen.

Love Uniworld and love the Christmas markets. We'd been talking about our '05 trip forever until we just said - "let's stop talking about it and just do it again!"

My favorite souveniers from that trip were the glass ornaments we bought, a nutcracker, the gluewein mugs from different cities, wooden lebkuchen molds, and one of those wooden windown thingies :)

If you haven't tried it before, be sure to get some currywurst at the markets. Its bratwurst in a kind of sweet curry-like sauce...and it's gooooood!

Thanks for the tips! We are so excited to be going on our first river cruise. I've been told by many that it won't be my last because I'm going to love it. Can't wait to find out.

Happy Cruising!

:) Cherie

I echo the sentiments that this is a great thread.

Our first riverboat cruise (but not our first cruise, by far) is Vantage's River Navigator, Nuremberg to Cologne. We depart the US Nov 29 and spend three nights in Munich. We board the ship Dec 3 and it sails Dec 4.

We visit Nuremberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg-Rothenburg, Miltenberg, Mainz-Heidelberg, Rudesheim and Cologne.

Is this the same cruise PacMom is on?

DH & I are traveling with another couple. And we're really looking forward to it. Coastal South Carolina doesn't get very cold, nor do we see snow. So this should be fun...

cp556 can I ask about the picture in your avitar? They look pretty friendly!

Thanks for all the great tips from the experienced river cruisers! Keep them coming please!

Thanks, Pam. They're not too far from you! About 300 miles, according to Mapquest.

We visited Oatman, Arizona two summers ago while touring your state. It's a wonderful old ghost-type town with lots of arts & crafts, cowboy street shows, and best of all .. wild donkeys descended from the donkeys the miners had in the olden days.

We were told that the donkeys would approach people to get the carrots they're used to receiving (sold at all the stores) and it was so true! They even stuck their head into our car for a carrot. DH took a photo and it's one of my favorites!

Oatman is also known as the place Clark Gable & Carole Lombard spent their honeymoon night ... but I guess I'm showing my age....lol...

Thanks, Pam. They're not too far from you! About 300 miles, according to Mapquest.

We visited Oatman, Arizona two summers ago while touring your state. It's a wonderful old ghost-type town with lots of arts & crafts, cowboy street shows, and best of all .. wild donkeys descended from the donkeys the miners had in the olden days.

We were told that the donkeys would approach people to get the carrots they're used to receiving (sold at all the stores) and it was so true! They even stuck their head into our car for a carrot. DH took a photo and it's one of my favorites!

Oatman is also known as the place Clark Gable & Carole Lombard spent their honeymoon night ... but I guess I'm showing my age....lol...

I have lived in Arizona almost my entire life with the exception of 12 years. I have never even heard of Oatman. Guess I am going to have to look it up just to see the donkeys.

But more importantly, what on earth made you to visit Arizona in the summer?????? :D

AZPAM,

I love reading this thread.

In 2005, my daughter( 19) and I did the Xmas markets, although not on a cruise. We had a great time and my favourite purchases were the smokers. I also loved the food at the markets in particular the potato fritters( servied with apple sauce) and as we both don't drink- discovered kinderwien( no sure of the spelling) We also collected the mugs from the different markets. You pay a 2 euro deposit( may have gone up) on the mugs- the idea is when you take the mug back they refund the 2 euro- if you want to keep the mug make sure you get a perfect one- some can be a little old.

This year I am going on a rivercruise with a girlfriend and am hoping to catch the begining of the markets at the end of our cruise???

I think is is great that you can get such a group together- I would love to be able to do so from Oz. ( I apologize to all hubbies in advance for my next comment-as I guess all hubbies aren't like mine- he hates shopping) It would be great if we could get some ladies groups together from different countries all meeting on the boat? A multiculturall ladies, Xmas shopping experience.

I look forward to your report.

I took a Uniworld cruise AMS BUD and it was wonderful. I'm now debating about taking the River Ambassador Basel to Amsterdam (Colmar, Strasbrourg, Speyer, Rudesheim, Koblenz & Cologne) early Nov or wait and take a Christmas Cruise.

Of the Cruises listed below, what Christmas Cruise on Viking is the best itinerary? What are the best Christmas Markets?

RHINE GETAWAY Basel to Amsterdam (stopping at Cologne, Koblenz, Rudesheim, Heidelberg, Strasbourg and Breisach)

DANUBE DELIGHT Passau to Vienna (Chesky Krumlov, Linz, Melk, Vienna, Budabest and Bratislava

DANUBE EXPLORER Vienna to Nuremberg (Melk, Linz, Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg)

I echo the sentiments that this is a great thread.

Our first riverboat cruise (but not our first cruise, by far) is Vantage's River Navigator, Nuremberg to Cologne. We depart the US Nov 29 and spend three nights in Munich. We board the ship Dec 3 and it sails Dec 4.

We visit Nuremberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg-Rothenburg, Miltenberg, Mainz-Heidelberg, Rudesheim and Cologne.

Is this the same cruise PacMom is on?

DH & I are traveling with another couple. And we're really looking forward to it. Coastal South Carolina doesn't get very cold, nor do we see snow. So this should be fun...

What a fun cruise itinerary. Make sure in Rudesheim you have a Rudesheim Coffee. It will help you take the chill away. Here's the recipe for it that I found on the internet: place 3 sugar cubes in a mug of hot coffee and add 1/2 oz of Asbach Uralt Brandy. Ignite and allow to burn for a several seconds. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of grated chocolate. http://wilkywilliam.blogspot.com/2006/10/wine-and-coffee-from-rudesheim.html

Also, in Rothenburg, try a schneeball, a hard to describe cake - http://www.romanticroad.com/striffler/english/schneeball.htm

Have a great time!

Also, in Rothenburg, try a schneeball, a hard to describe cake - http://www.romanticroad.com/striffler/english/schneeball.htm

Have a great time!

Are these things kind of like pie crust in a ball with stuff sprinkled on them? We found something like that last time we went and were quickly addicted. Even brought some home for the guys, they were so good! I think I had better go on a diet for all the goodies we will be eating again! Yummmmmmm

Cruiser Kathy, I'm not going to be any help and I think all of those look like fun! As for the Christmas Markets, on thing I've read/heard is that most of them don't open before Dec 1st, so maybe that is a consideration?

So glad to hear everybody is enjoying this thread so much :D I appreciate all the great tips I am getting.

It's nice to have responses so quick. When I took the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise we did go to Rothenburg and Rudesheim. I agree the schneeball (I would have never remembered the name) and the Rudesheim Coffee were great. Thanks for the receipe.

I originally wanted to do a Christmas cruise early December but my friend is not sure she can go then so we were looking at two other cruises in early November, even though it's before the Christmas Markets open. I just started another thread on the two cruises I was looking at there - Uniworld Castles and the Rhine Discovery. What I like about Uniworld's Castles Along the Rhine itinerary is there are only a few stops I've been to before. The Rhine Discovery also sounds like a good itinerary.

. What I like about Uniworld's Castles Along the Rhine itinerary is there are only a few stops I've been to before. .

That's what would make the different to me. Itinerary is more important to me than the ship or what line I would go on. I know it's really hard for most people to be gone in December. I'm trying my hardest to get everything done before I leave. I asked my sister in law for some Christmas lists for the kids last week and she thought I was nuts.

I have lived in Arizona almost my entire life with the exception of 12 years. I have never even heard of Oatman. Guess I am going to have to look it up just to see the donkeys.

But more importantly, what on earth made you to visit Arizona in the summer?????? :D

DH is a retired Army officer. His battalion has a reunion every July, and it moves around the country. 2006 was Scottsdale. (2007 was Philadelphia, 2008 St Louis, and 2009 is Reno....heaven help us). We rented a car and decided to explore Arizona.

In Laughlin NV we asked a waitress for a recommendation for a day trip. She asked if we liked unusual places, then suggested Oatman. WE LOVED IT. Here's one site: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/AZ-Oatman.html

And, I apologize. Apparently these guys are burros, not donkeys ... lol.

I'm enjoying this thread. I don't know anything about Christmas Markets and I'm learning a lot. DH lived in Germany for four years with the Army, so he's ahead of me....

Archived