Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

I want to come, too!! Probably all sold out. Does anyone know a source for "last minute" openings?

Thinking about 2009, how far ahead did most of you book?

Barbara

There is a gal on our trip who had her roommate fink out on her. Don't know if she is still looking or finally gave up and paid the single supplement. Is it just you and would you want to room with a stranger? I do know there was a waiting list for our trip.

There is a gal on our trip who had her roommate fink out on her. Don't know if she is still looking or finally gave up and paid the single supplement. Is it just you and would you want to room with a stranger? I do know there was a waiting list for our trip.

When I casually mentioned this idea last night my husband sounded interested. It was a pleasant surprise, as he really doesn't like to travel.

I brought it up when we were at the local Oktoberfest. Sneaky, but I thought maybe that would put him in the right frame of mind for Germany and Austria.

Specifically looking for shorter cruises..5-7 nights. Actually found a couple with 2008 openings; probably cancelations from prior bookings.

Cruise prices are good, but OUCH on the airfare. Trying to decide.

We will be on the Viking Spirit going from Nuremberg to Vienna beginning on December 7 and ending in Vienna on December 14. This is our first river cruise. I absolutely LOVE Christmas! We are blessed to live in Military City USA (San Antonio) and I have picked up exquisite German Christmas pyramids at estate sales for literally a few dollars. Also have smokers and beautiful angels.I also collect nativities. Hubby has always wanted to go to Germany and I can get my Christmas "fix", so off we go! I will probably buy souvenir ornaments for friends and family. We are so excited. I agree, this is such a great thread with everyone being in the Christmas spirit! Thanks for starting this.:)

We will be on the Viking Spirit going from Nuremberg to Vienna beginning on December 7 and ending in Vienna on December 14. This is our first river cruise. I absolutely LOVE Christmas! We are blessed to live in Military City USA (San Antonio) and I have picked up exquisite German Christmas pyramids at estate sales for literally a few dollars. Also have smokers and beautiful angels.I also collect nativities. Hubby has always wanted to go to Germany and I can get my Christmas "fix", so off we go! I will probably buy souvenir ornaments for friends and family. We are so excited. I agree, this is such a great thread with everyone being in the Christmas spirit! Thanks for starting this.:)

We'll be getting off that day!! We'll TRY to leave her in good shape for you. :D

Please tell me what a "smoker" is ... I have to know what I may buy before I get there ... lol ... :o

Thanks

Carol

Steamboats correctly identified a smoker. Thanks for doing this! I can't wait to eat the Christmas goodies in Germany and Austria! Hubby loves gingerbread. I will eat almost anything sweet, so I am looking forward to this trip. I am a retired teacher and had all the Christmas-themed sweaters, so I think I'll pull them out and wear them on the trip.:)

I want to come, too!! Probably all sold out. Does anyone know a source for "last minute" openings?

Barbara

Hi Barbara -

It's been a few days since you posted this, but I just got my final payment info from the group I'm going with (Travel Insider) and he said Amadeus just announced discounts for new bookings on Christmas Markets cruises as they are filling slowly this year. You might want to check with amawaterways.com or your TA.

Cheers,

Jane

Hello Pam,

I see that you are from Chandler ,AZ. By chance would you know Marcia Clark (Husband is Dareld) She is a high schoolclassmate from Marior, Ohio.

Barbara Boyer

kite200@aol.com

Barbara, check your email. I don't know your friends but I did send you their address in case you don't have it.

Bilyeu5, hope you have found a trip. How nice is it that your hubby was so agreeable!

Thanks to Steamboats for filling us in on what a smoker is too. Might have to do a little shopping for those! Too cute!

I just returned from a few days up in Northern Arizona helping my son move into his first apartment. While it was a lot of work, the nice, much cooler weather was a great trade off. It was so hard to come back to the heat here, but it did get me much more excited for my Christmas trip. Maybe it's time to start playing some Christmas music? (I know, I'm a dork!) :D

Thank you Pam for your reply. Just thought you might know them. I do hope that we aren't the only ones on the November 29th Christmas market cruise from Prague to Budapest with AMA. I do know the ship isn't full. Have a good time on your Christ Market cruise. Enjoy the hot wine and keyhole sausages. Purchase a Nuremburg angel , prune ornament and some lebkuchen.

Barbara

I do know the ship isn't full.

Barbara

That really surprises me that your ship isn't full. Our trip has had a waiting list for months and GCT told us when we wanted to add a few to our group that they did not have one person not make their final payment, with the exception of the roommate in our group. Who knows if that is true or not, but I do know we can't get any more in our group.

Hi Barbara -

It's been a few days since you posted this, but I just got my final payment info from the group I'm going with (Travel Insider) and he said Amadeus just announced discounts for new bookings on Christmas Markets cruises as they are filling slowly this year. You might want to check with amawaterways.com or your TA.

Cheers,

Jane

Thanks for the tip. I checked with AMA and they are running some specials that include reduced single occupancy surcharges. Since my husband has decided he'd rather not go, this would be a GREAT benefit to me if I decide to take the plunge. If you have a good TA who is expert in river cruises, could you email me the info? Bilyeu5@aol.com

Thank you Pam for your reply. Just thought you might know them. I do hope that we aren't the only ones on the November 29th Christmas market cruise from Prague to Budapest with AMA. I do know the ship isn't full. Have a good time on your Christ Market cruise. Enjoy the hot wine and keyhole sausages. Purchase a Nuremburg angel , prune ornament and some lebkuchen.

Barbara

From one Barbara to Another,

What is the name of your cruise? Is it "Christmas Time"? I see one listed on 11/27 from Prague and one on 11/29 from Budapest. If I cut out the 2 days in Prague, one of these might work for me. I might as well price out the same one you're one!

With all of the talk of illness on the river ships, are any of you taking any extra precautions? I got my flu shot yesterday, have the sore arm to prove it, and also started taking some extra vitamins to help boost my immunity. I normally pack a small pharmacy to take and always have some type of bleach based wipes to clean off the room when we first arrive. I will even go so far as to wipe down my area in the plane(s) too. Might be a little extreme to some, but I'll be darned if I want to get sick on my vacation and will try just about anything to prevent it!

I have a question posed by a friend who visited Germany during the Christmas markets. There was a spice cookie that was served with coffee, does anyone know the name or have a recipe for this cookie?

Thanks,

Second seating

You probably mean Lebkuchen.

There are any number of receipes (in English) on the Web, here is an example:

http://www.bigoven.com/160232-Lebkuchen-recipe.html

Ron

Second Seating,

If it´s not Lebkuchen (Ginger bread) then try Spekulatius.

http://www.bigoven.com/private/spekulatius-recipes

725px-Spekulatius_four_pieces_of.jpg

Those are spiced cookies. You can have them with thin sliced almonds or without. Actually I never made them but buy them (and I don´t think there are many who are baking them).

steamboats

Okay, this might sound wierd, but do you all eat the pretty gingerbread cookies that can be found in the Christmas Markets that are all decorated so nice? I never have since I think they look so nice! Just wondering if they are really good too?

IMG_1605.jpg.6e6b8e61228afed9227ab8bac0549997.jpg

Pam,

They aren´t pretty popular here in Munich (or Bavaria). But you can see them for the Oktoberfest (which is on right now)

wiesnhandi_19.jpg

And yes, you can eat them. And no, they don´t really taste good IMHO. They are more decorative.

This kind of gingerbread is much better

Lebkuchen.jpg

They are called Elisenlebkuchen. They come round or square, with or without decoration, covered with chocolate or icing or just plain. You find them in every supermarket too. Like this

lebkuchen-01k.jpg

(and in larger boxes, even in very decorative metal boxes).

steamboats

Just wanted to say farewell for a couple of weeks ... DH & I are leaving this evening for Holland America's Westerdam. Cruising the Panama Canal from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, and very much looking forward to it.

Next trip is our German Christmas Markets cruise in December, and we can't wait for it! Cookies are now on our list of "must-do's" ... lol

Hope all of you stay well, and we'll be back mid-October...

Carol in SC

Have fun Carol! Sounds like a fun trip. We are leaving this afternoon for Montana to visit the inlaws. Don't think my trip will be anywhere near as much fun as yours, but at least we will be in some cool weather.

Steamboats, thanks for the heads up on the gingerbread cookies. Guess I am glad I never tried eating any of them! The others you showed look yummy too so will have to keep my eye out for them. Cherie, I agree, now I am hungry!

Hello Barbara,

We will be on the AMA November27th Christmas Market trip from Prague to Budpest. We did this cruise with AMA a couple years ago and had a great time. The weather is cold but if one dresses well it is delightful. The towns are dressed for the holidays and the shopping is great. We book the lowest cabins as it is dark when we go to bed and it is dark when we get up in the morning.You don't spend time in your cabin during this time of year. Other AMA cruises we take we get a middle of the line cabin. All are the same size regardless of where you are located.

Hope you will join us. Where do you live? We are from northern Ohio.

Barbara kite200@aol.com

We bought some rain pants and wool socks yesterday. All we need are a few more sweaters and we'll be set to go. Just 60 days to go!! We received a new flight schedule today but not much changed. Our flight between Seattle and LA was changed to the next flight (an hour later) but we still have a long layover. This way we don't have to leave home as early. :D It's the 6:50 AM flight out of Munich that will "kill" us.

Archived