Limiting food courses???????

misand

I read a review where the guest was given the menu and told they could only pick 3 courses. Example salad, soup, entree. You were not able to pick 1 thing from each course. This would defeat the purpose of cruising as we like to try many different things. What happens if we don't like what we ordered? Wait staff on other cruise ships have alway encouraged us to try multiple things even 2 soups, 2 entree, etc. You get the idea. Anyone with any recent experience in the dining room? Are they really limiting the food you order? It's not like I plan on ordering everything on the menu!!! One of the things we have told all our friends about cruising is they great food options. Now they are all going with us, I don't want to let them down.

Misand:confused:

When we were on the Lirica in Dec 2006 you could order from all courses and as much as you wanted. I was famous at our table for ordering 2 apps and 2 deserts each night, plus what ever else. Saw some who would order more than 1 entre, sometimes right at the start some after getting served.

We did eat the pizza and it was pretty good, not the best but diffentily better than some we have even had at home. Every night the food was based on a different region of Italy. Now our cruise was in the Caribbean.

What area are you thinking of cruising with MSC in?

We will be going to the Caribbean with MSC again next spring. Again on the Lirica.

On my Lirica trip I requested an early dining so I wouldn't stuff myself before bedtime (wanted to get up early and hit the islands). I was assigned late dining for some reason. Because my tablemates were very pleasant I decided not to change. I did try to adapt by eating earlier at the buffet and then just very light at the final dinner.

My waiter took this in almost a personal way - seemed like he was very proud of the food offerings and almost hurt that I wasn't partaking. So, I modified my habits and started saving room for dinner. This made the waiter happy. In turn I guess this made me happy. I think a happy staff makes for happier cruisers.

On my Lirica trip I requested an early dining so I wouldn't stuff myself before bedtime (wanted to get up early and hit the islands). I was assigned late dining for some reason. Because my tablemates were very pleasant I decided not to change. I did try to adapt by eating earlier at the buffet and then just very light at the final dinner.

My waiter took this in almost a personal way - seemed like he was very proud of the food offerings and almost hurt that I wasn't partaking. So, I modified my habits and started saving room for dinner. This made the waiter happy. In turn I guess this made me happy. I think a happy staff makes for happier cruisers.

We are going in March on the Orchestra! I am a huge mexican fan, any chance you saw this on the buffet?

:p

We've been on close to a dozen cruises and I haven't seen a cruise line yet that does Mexican dishes better than Taco Bell.

Someone made a comment on an MSC thread about a Chinese dish that reflected the same sentiment, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

just back this week from a cruise in Europe on the Lirica and there was absolutely no restrictions on what you could order. They certainly didn't encourage you to order more than one thing from each course, but with 6 courses available at both lunch and dinner this would not have been something that i would have considered doing. My problem was trying to skip courses. I rarely eat dessert and the waiters kept trying to get me to try something. Anytime that i left part of any course, (because i didn't want to eat anymore) they usually offered to get me something else

Welcome back Amomondo, hope you had a good cruise. :)

(The weather has been good here though this week :p )

just back this week from a cruise in Europe on the Lirica and there was absolutely no restrictions on what you could order. They certainly didn't encourage you to order more than one thing from each course, but with 6 courses available at both lunch and dinner this would not have been something that i would have considered doing. My problem was trying to skip courses. I rarely eat dessert and the waiters kept trying to get me to try something. Anytime that i left part of any course, (because i didn't want to eat anymore) they usually offered to get me something else

This was my experience on the lirica last year too.

I now wonder whether limiting the food courses was just on the Poesia...or whether it was just down to our waiter. I'd be interested to know the experiences of others who have sailed on her.

For those of you who may be worried, our cruise was indeed in the Med, where the 'rules' are different to the Caribbean, so hopefuly, it won't affect your sailings, whatever the ship.

Thank you so much for remembering all of us here on CC who are really wanting to get the low-down on the food on MSC!!! I do hope to hear from others as well.

Welcome back Amomondo, hope you had a good cruise. :)

(The weather has been good here though this week :p )

This was my experience on the lirica last year too.

I now wonder whether limiting the food courses was just on the Poesia...or whether it was just down to our waiter. I'd be interested to know the experiences of others who have sailed on her.

For those of you who may be worried, our cruise was indeed in the Med, where the 'rules' are different to the Caribbean, so hopefuly, it won't affect your sailings, whatever the ship.

I reckon it was just your waiters - maybe they were new or maybe they had more tables than normal to go backwards and forwards with all the courses!

You have mail

Tracey

Archived