Are onboard mutinies justified?

Erica@cruisecritic

Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?  

2,615 members have voted

1. 1. Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?

• Yes -- cruise passengers should get compensated for all missed ports.
    • Yes -- cruise lines don't give passengers another way to complain.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise is seriously re-routed.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise staff mishandles the situation.
    • No -- if you can't handle a missed port, don't cruise during hurricane season.
    • No -- cruise passengers need to read the fine print.
    • No -- you're still on vacation, aren’t you?
    • I've posted my opinion below.

• Administrators

Interesting veer in this thread -- shifting responsibility from the immature people who pitched a fit and disrupted operations of a vessel at sea to the captain of said vessel, based on his alleged poor customer service skills. Of course that myth got started when someone posted that the captain called the passengers "suckers." Many people have since clarified that the captain was explaining that after this storm, he had to sail through more of "the suckers" because there were several ts/hurricanes in the Atlantic at the time. But never let the facts stop folks from coming here to state as fact that the captain lacks customer service skills. :rolleyes:

Regardless, some captains are better at schmoozing than others -- but nobody became captain of a multi-billion dollar passenger vessel in order to do the CD's job (glad-handing passengers and smoothing ruffled feathers and generally kissing patootie). The Captain's job is to protect the safety of the souls on board, and the vessel. I still want to know where the CD was during all of this -- haven't seen a word about that person, who actually DID have the job of communicating with passengers, etc.

Yes, Royal Caribbean has two female captains.

###

Thats great to hear!! :D My dad has worked in the merchant business for 34 years and a lot of those years as 1st mate and captain.. And he has never mention working with a female captain... I don't think its a field women are running to do...

The scarier thing is that these are the same morons who will be voting in the upcoming election.!

How ridiculous that passengers would even consider revolting when a cruise ship moves out of harms way! These are the same morons who would immediately sue the cruiseline should they be injured during a storm.

When you cruise during hurricane season you have to know going in that your itinerary is likely to change due to inclement weather. That's why the rates go down and it's considered "off season".

Forensic- It is not correct that a 'Captain's License' will qualify an individual to 'Captain just about anything on the sea'. Licenses are based on a variety of factors and what would qualify one to sail may hardly qualify another individual to be the Master of a Vessel the size of this particular cruise ship. There are varying levels and degrees of requirements, up to and including tonnage.

You beat me to the punch, FC! Handling a megaship weighing 110,000 tons cruise ship is very different than handling a 110,000 ton freighter or a tanker or a 40,000 ton cruise ship. It's like a driver's license. Just because you have one doesn't mean you can also drive an 18 wheeler if you can drive a car.

MichellP is right. Where was the CD and his staff during all this? LauraAnne? Can you help?

Anita

Regardless, some captains are better at schmoozing than others -- but nobody became captain of a multi-billion dollar passenger vessel in order to do the CD's job (glad-handing passengers and smoothing ruffled feathers and generally kissing patootie). The Captain's job is to protect the safety of the souls on board, and the vessel. I still want to know where the CD was during all of this -- haven't seen a word about that person, who actually DID have the job of communicating with passengers, etc.

Absolutely spot on Michell. He may be the best schmoozer in the cruise industry, but if he errs making decisions that hazards his ship and its' passenger, he/she may as well start looking for another line of work. It is not his job to schmooze the passengers, it is the CD's or the hotel manager's.

Forensic- It is not correct that a 'Captain's License' will qualify an individual to 'Captain just about anything on the sea'. Licenses are based on a variety of factors and what would qualify one to sail may hardly qualify another individual to be the Master of a Vessel the size of this particular cruise ship. There are varying levels and degrees of requirements, up to and including tonnage.

Yes, I realize that, and he (even though I think he is a jerk) has mastered all of those. He has spent his life on the sea and he is qualified to Master just about everything as sea including cruise ships, cargo ships, tug boats, oil tankers, etc., etc., etc. He has many, many Master's of Vessel qualifications. He too has NO people skills, but I would even sail into a hurricane with him, if I had to. In fact he is the only one with which I would. I would trust him at sea on any type of vessel in any conditions. As long as I don't have to talk to him:rolleyes:

It must have been very disappointing, but the issue of safety should always be on the forefront. I see many deals that are offered during the peak of hurricane season, but I choose to pass on any cruises up through Oct; I do cruise in late November to celebrate my birthday and there is still a risk, but hey, this is a week that I do not have to be at work with demanding, whining people.....If there happens to be a change in itinerary, I will pout for a few minutes and then go get my Funship drink and let the party begin again! A lawyer leading a mutiny...who whould have thunk it.:rolleyes:

:mad: For the cruisers who withheld tips from the staff...SHAME, SHAME,AND MORE SHAME!!!!! I bet neither one of you balked at the many different services that the crew was providing for you. You were still enjoying the clean linens, towels, refilled ice buckes, towel animals, service at dinner, etc... Some people are just looking for a reason to save a buck, but why would you penalize the hardworking crew members who are already overworked and underpaid. You should be ashamed of yourselves.:mad:

I agree to a point. We all should know by now of itinerary changes. BUT the cruise line can be more accomodating in going to similar ports as the originals. I canceled on the Miracle for NEXT! September because of a COMPLETE itinerary change this far out. I called and they said it had to do with the propulsion system. BS!!! It's 12 months from now.

Sorry Carnival

Found a better deal on Prtincess out of NYC

Joe

I called and they said it had to do with the propulsion system. BS!!! It's 12 months from now.

Actually, I would think that with the cost of fuel now, cruise lines may be changing itineraries to keep the ships running at maximum efficiency. No more runs at full speed for long periods of time. They are probably looking at fuel economy instead of the most interesting combination of ports. Or some of those ports could have been destroyed during the hurricane season this year. It takes a while to get them completely up and runnng again. Carnival doesn't stay in port for as many hours as other lines (typically) so I would imagine that if the number of ships is limited, Carnival may be the odd man out.

I have done a total of 3 cruises, 2 in bad weather. My first cruise was during the storm of the century in 1993. We left Cozumel for Miami and hit 30 ft seas. Winds were howling and amazingly, the upper decks were never closed off. My brother turned a corner and was knocked off his feet by the force of the wind. (We were teenagers and stupid, but not seasick) There was a freighter lost near where we were sailing. I'm quite sure the lawyer from NY would not have wanted to have this experience, although there may have been a negligence suit for him with the failure to secure the outside decks.

Our cruise last January on HAL encountered some rough seas as well. Our balcony was locked one day as was the Promenade deck. Should I have complained that I was denied all the perks of booking a balcony cabin? I'd rather be safe.

Also, if the irate passengers were upset about port selection, they should have been calling CCL headquarters or using the internet service to email. I seriously doubt the captain is the one making the port arrangements.

Looks like the NOs (for whichever reasons)..have it!!

Anyone who goes to that "extreme" for ANY reason that is not life threatening....should be placed on a "no cruise list" for all cruise lines PERMANENTLY!!!

Looks like the NOs (for whichever reasons)..have it!!

Anyone who goes to that "extreme" for ANY reason that is not life threatening....should be placed on a "no cruise list" for all cruise lines PERMANENTLY!!!

I am sure that lawyer guy can no longer cruise Carnival, Princess, HAL, Cunard, and any other line that is part of Carnival corporation. Watch out RCI and Celebrity-here he comes!

Archived