Are onboard mutinies justified?

Erica@cruisecritic

Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?  

2,615 members have voted

1. 1. Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?

• Yes -- cruise passengers should get compensated for all missed ports.
    • Yes -- cruise lines don't give passengers another way to complain.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise is seriously re-routed.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise staff mishandles the situation.
    • No -- if you can't handle a missed port, don't cruise during hurricane season.
    • No -- cruise passengers need to read the fine print.
    • No -- you're still on vacation, aren’t you?
    • I've posted my opinion below.

It is no secret that this time of year is prime hurricane season. If you choose to take advantage of the low rates offered by the cruise line because of the chance of encountering a hurricane, then caveat emptor (buyer beware). Accept responsibility that you gambled on good weather and lost, and "own the problem." Sorry, but we have a hard and fast rule not to cruise in the Caribbean during hurricane season, and you know what? We have never had this problem.

• Administrators

I don't understand the poll title or the way the choices are phrased. A "mutiny" is an organized attempt to overthrow authority, particularly on a ship at sea. It's a crime.

From the news accounts it didn't sound like these people were trying to overthrow the vessel's captain. Apparently they were trying to be as disruptive as possible in public venues, to stop the orderly operation of the ship's business. I think that's a breach of their contract of carriage, and they should have been warned once, then put off at the next port to make their way home at their own expense.

As for the poll choices, maybe I missed the one that said "No, onboard mutinies are never justified?" Confrontational, physical, mob behavior is extremely scary -- and the people who crank it up have no ability to control it in the long term, as it can take on a life of its own. I think everyone onboard that ship is lucky that nobody was physically injured with this kind of irresponsible behavior (note the post above talking about starting up a counter-revolt -- what might have happened then?).

I live in a hurricane zone. WE know what the dangers are. That's why we NEVER book a cruise between mid-July through mid-October. We would never tell someone else to make that choice, however. If you choose that time period, you should be an informed passenger! It makes no sense for passengers to get mad if they need to change ports. Hurricanes can be life-threatening, and until they actually make landfall, are extremely unpredictable. Why would anyone willingly put themselves and others in harm's way?

This mutiny is just ridiculous. It is hurricane season people. Don't cruise during hurricane season if you have your heart set on visiting a specific place.

I like being on a ship, sun shining, calm seas, out by the pool with a tropical drink (a mai tai would be real nice!) with my sweetie. Oh captain, do we really have to stop?????

Ports are fine but being on a ship is the biggest thing for me.;)

I think we are understanding the point. I see that most of the ones doing the complaining are from the NORTHEAST thsee fokes think everyone owes them something. I know this for fact... The captain has a chain of command. Starting from his bosses. Carnvial Crop. The captain has done nothing wrong here. He made sure every passenger and staff was out of harms way. Did any of the passengers think of his job. I am sure he did not like changing directions to advoid a hurricaine. But he did to keep them safe.

I give him kudos for a job well done. If these people had read the fine print on there contract. They would of read nothing is a garantee. They where promissed three ports and they got 3 ports.

I think the ones that did complain should be blackballed. Starting with the Lawyer. From what i have read over this past week the lawyer has done nothing but make it worse for all whom was on the cruise.

I will also add not one of passengers that complained ever think of anyone else but themself.. You talked about miss commucation.. Think of the ISLAND PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO COMMUCATION, NO CLEAN WATER, NO FOOD, ECT.. AND NO WHERE TO GO WHEN MOTHER NATURE COMES A CALLING WITH A HURRICANE. THEY CAN'T GET IN TO THERE CARS AND DRIVE AWAY FROM THIS STORM TO GET OUT OF HARMS WAY.

I say they are not justified one bit.

The passengers who 'revolted' behaved horribly, in my opinion. As many others have said, if you book a cruise during hurricane season, be prepared for some itinerary changes.

The captain (and cruise line) are most concerned with everyone's safety, not insuring that all ports of call are visited regardless of weather issues.

And those who withdrew tips for the staff as a 'payback' - that's despicable - the crew have no control whatsoever of the weather, nor did the captain or cruise line.

At least the complaining passengers got to see a live shark onboard - the lawyer who was 'representing' them.

I have my 5th cruise scheduled with Carnival next year, and I've never encountered anything except excellent service and assistance.

I agree that passengers should be kept informed of ongoing weather circumstances. However, if the ship's crew deliver bad news due to the weather, passengers need to understand that their safety is first and foremost.

I hope I never encounter any of these 'revolters' on a cruise - being unhappy about a vacation is one thing, but the behavior I've read about on this particular cruise (by only some of the passengers) was uncalled for.

We were on a cruise ship during Hurricane Hugo and just grateful to be alive.

We were so thankful we were sent to other ports to protect us and the ship.

I can't even believe anyone would react like that and I think the ports they went to sound great. Read the small print or stay away from hurricane season. I hope I never get on a cruise ship with those people.

They need to read the fine print. Maybe the print should be larger and they have to sign a legal statement before a cruise in acknowledgment.

I was just going to say the same thing. The majority of people aren't going to read the contract - it's small print and legalese to most people and they aren't going to take the time. Trust me - I work in the mortgage industry and people buy houses and borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars without reading what they are signing - what makes anyone think they will read a cruise contract?

But maybe a notice can be handed out with each booking - something simple along the lines of, "While we make every attempt to dock at each scheduled port, please be advised that these are not guaranteed." Don't bury it in the contract. Make it simple and big print and upfront.

I do find the passenger behavior disgusting. But I also think from what I've read so far that Carnival dropped the ball on passenger communication. But that is something to address with guest relations post-cruise instead of acting obnoxious and then taking it out on hardworking tipped crewmembers. I also think the cruise lines are way too lenient with these rabble-rousers we hear about from time to time and do too much to pacify them once they start making trouble. If these people tried that kind of thing on an airplane they'd leave in handcuffs. Can you imagine what would happen if someone started loudly demanding to see the captain of a plane and a refund when their plane rerouted for weather?

I must admit that I've wondered if people who "mutiny" because of a few changed plans have some kind of a death-wish. Part of the price of a cruise brings us the surety that education and experience are what makes weather-related (and other) decisions on board ship. Why are there some who buy a dog and then insist that the dog be silent and let them do the barking?:rolleyes:

For myself, I'd sooner miss a given port (or ports) on a particular cruise and live to see those ports another day... and it's a wonderful reason for another cruise.:)

Mutiny is probably the wrong word here. The poll probably should had used, cause a distubance, complain, etc. Although I would probably start contemplating mutiny, if some Captain knowingly sailed me into a hurricane. Then I would seriously, lets just say, vehemently complain.

How childish. I just came off RC Liberty and our whole schedule was rearranged due to the hurricanes.

I would never ever doubt the captains judgment on changing of ports, direction etc. during hurricane season. He has my life in his hand, and, I care to live thru it all. We have cruised many many times.

Our last 2 days at sea were beautiful but the 3 days in ports weren't so hot weather wise due to trying to dodge the hurricanes. We still had fun. It is what YOU want to make of it.

If you are cruising during hurricane season, you take your chances. Why do you think the prices are so much lower!!!!! DUH.

Be happy the Captain considers your safety first. Make the best of your cruise, stop complaining and causing problems for the staff, and enjoy yourself!!! You still aren't cooking or cleaning and can swim all you want!

The cruise line probably saved money by not having to travel as far, and it possibly paid lower port fees, so I think a cost adjustment would have been appropriate. It probably would have been a very small adjustment.

Having to refund some money is a risk the cruise line takes by choosing to run Caribbean cruises during hurricane season (the flip side of "passengers should know what they're getting into" is "cruise lines know what they might be getting passengers into").

No, it's not good to reduce your tip, because it's not the fault of anyone onboard that the ship was rerouted, but face it: that's the ONLY protest a passenger can make. Whether it's effective as a protest or not, it at least makes the passengers feel like they've done something. The cruise line is being stupid by making this the only alternative.

(Will it bother me if we have to skip all the scheduled ports on my next cruise? Not a bit.)

The behavior of some of the people on board, in particular the ringleader, can never be justified. The captain has a responsibility to keep the ship safe, not risk everything so that someone can have a rum punch on a favorite beach. I have two words for those who caused so much trouble: Grow up!

I have 2 better words...DON"T CRUISE!!

Shankiko

Since I cannot imagine ANYONE wanting or expecting to sail to a port under a hurricane or TS warning, I am inclined to think those "in revolt" were hoping for a free cruise. Sort of having your cake and eat it too! You know -- get this cruise for free or one at a later date (for free). HA! Hope springs eternal guys!

I can understand if ports were changed for no good reason that, despite the fine print, there would be some reason to be less than happy. Given the situation here, I don't know what else the cruise line could have or should have done.

leading the pack. I won't cruise during hurricane season as I want to visit the ports on the itinerary. This can even happen in clear season but I can't see reasonable people making an issue out of it. There have been missed ports due to a passenger being airlifted due to a heart attack. I guess that lawyer would also sue the family of the sick passenger for disturbing his cruise.

He couldn't have been much of a lawyer anyway sailing on Carnival the cheapest cruise line. My lawyer sails Silversea as he is well compensated and doesn't need the bargain cruise. I bet that loudmouth mouthpiece had an inside cabin.

The cruise line saves a whole lot of money, hundreds of thousands of dollars, by not stopping at those ports. These savings should be returned to the cruisers. After all, if there were a cruise in their brochure with just those substitute ports, could they have filled the ship? Doubtful!

Of the 20 or so cruises I've taken, there have only been two itinerary changes or other itinerary issues I've experienced. The first was three years ago on NCL when we cruised to Alaska. For some stupid reason, the ship personnel dumped their "gray water" in the wrong place, got caught and in the middle of the night, the ship stopped and went back a ways. Instead of a whole day in Juneau, we had three hours. I did blame the ship for that. The other time worked to our advantage. While docked in Key West, the ship (Carnival) had some mechanical issues. Because of that, we were not able to leave until after dark, which let us experience the most beautiful sunset and sailboats sailing through the reflections on the ocean.

There's a reason the cruises are cheaper in September. HURRICANES!

I really think that the cruisers should be compensated. I think Carnival went OUT of its way to MAKE the hurricane happen, and to try to purposefully disappoint several thousand cruisers. They try their best to not let the people have what they wanted, even if it means sailing in 30 foot seas, horrible rain and wind storms, and possible destruction of both life and ship. They definitely should have been allowed to go to their chosen ports, and Carnival just didn't do its job correctly! That captain should have risked the multi-million dollar vessal, just to give those lovely people their way. Not to mention the fact that when they get to the islands they would be torn up, and snorkeling would be horrible.

We have had itineraries changed multiple times, and it doesn't matter the season. If you can't handle the fact that YOU are not in control of the ship, DON'T GET ON!:cool:

We have been on several cruises that we have indeed gotten money back from missed ports. Last year we missed 2 out of four ports but these were missed due to medical emergencies and detours because of emergency evacuations Disappointing but tried to be understanding and most were happy they were not the one that had lost their life or were ending their cruise in a port hospital.

The Captain has the ultimate authority, on sea or air.... however, in my experience he should have communicated EVERY change and deviation to all of his passengers... people want to be informed, not surprised.... maybe this would have eased some tempers. A simple PA announcement once or twice a day with a little hurricane humor thrown in is appropriate and appreciated. If these people had a sense of humor they would have even organized a "hurricane" party somewhere on the ship and offer free cocktails like they do at the Captain's welcome and past guest party. There are lots of ways to avoid a "mutiny".

No way an announcement or two on the PA would have helped. Have you heard the rantings of malcontents about too many announcements interrupting their quiet and peaceful time???? Truth be told, the "mutineers" were just that-- mal-contents. NOTHING would have made a difference in their attitude... that's how they go through life.

On the flip side of the "saving lots of money by not going to these ports", maybe the cruise line has to commit and pay fees to these ports whether they stop there or not. After all, the cruise ports are guarantying them a docking space a year or more in advance. Maybe the cruise line has to pay that dockage (or some portion thereof) and then additional dockage to go to a totally different port than originally scheduled.

We were on the LOS following Hanna around. We made a few changes in our route to get there, San Juan, St. Maartin and Labide. We were prepared for changes, more days at sea, whatever. It was the smoothest cruise we have even been on, which is at least 25. The Captain certainly did right by us. We can only go in the summer and it's a chance we take. After all, we're cruising and rough seas and rude passengers are the only things that could spoil it (if we let it).:D

Archived