Share Tips On How Not To Gain Weight On A Cruise!!!

mjfeaster

Please share tips on what you have done on previous cruises to help not gain weight. I know the obvious....use the gym :mad: , don't eat yada yada yada, but what about different food choices you made? I heard someone say on a post that they ordered a veggie platter every night at dinner for an appetizer to help fill them up (so they didn't over eat the main course). I'm going to use that one! Also, does anyone remember if Princess has the calorie contents of their menu items:confused: ? I don't want to obsess:eek: with weight worry on the cruise, but little things can help.

Please share tips on what you have done on previous cruises to help not gain weight. I know the obvious....use the gym :mad: , don't eat yada yada yada, but what about different food choices you made? I heard someone say on a post that they ordered a veggie platter every night at dinner for an appetizer to help fill them up (so they didn't over eat the main course). I'm going to use that one! Also, does anyone remember if Princess has the calorie contents of their menu items:confused: ? I don't want to obsess:eek: with weight worry on the cruise, but little things can help.

No calorie counts, but the dining room menu marks "healthy" items.

A fat free salad dressing is always available.

Using stairs instead of the elevators helps burn the calories.

We eat ALL meals in the dining room if possible. That way the portion sizes are controlled. In the buffet it is way too easy to put too much on the platter. Also desserts are really not our thing, so we often order sorbet or sherbert. Even the sugar free desserts are very good. Of course taking the stairs rather than the elevators is always a good idea. ;)

I put on 15 lbs on a recent cruise. I ate far too many cookies, gelato, etc. I often ate 3 puddings, but it's only once a year I do this. Since coming home, I have lost 7lbs on 2 weeks, so I'll soon be back to my target weight.

My wife and I also do a lot of walking on diy tours and often use the sgtairs on the ship.

I worry about my weight all year round. On holiday I don't!

We eat ALL meals in the dining room if possible. That way the portion sizes are controlled. In the buffet it is way too easy to put too much on the platter. Also desserts are really not our thing, so we often order sorbet or sherbert. Even the sugar free desserts are very good. Of course taking the stairs rather than the elevators is always a good idea. ;)

Funny, I find that I eat less in the buffet than in the dining room. :) I don't have bread waved in my face, am not encouraged to order more courses than I really want and have an easier time passing up dessert. I have a new rule (that I break sometimes:o ) of only taking one plateful of food - no seconds, and no piling it up sky high.

We always pick a mid ship cabin close to stairs and never take elevators anywhere. I swim in the ship's pools a lot and as well as drink plenty of water prior to meals. As mentioned previously, the sugar free desserts are sometimes better than what's on their regular menu. My DH is diabetic and only eats the sugar free desserts. Also, I try to limit my alcohol intake after 8 pm. We do a lot of walking on shore excursions and that has helped tremendously.

On several days in Italy, I had several Gelato's, never mind 1 per week!:D

Funny, I find that I eat less in the buffet than in the dining room. :) I don't have bread waved in my face, am not encouraged to order more courses than I really want and have an easier time passing up dessert. I have a new rule (that I break sometimes:o ) of only taking one plateful of food - no seconds, and no piling it up sky high.
We agree. At the buffet you can also dictate serviing size more easily...instead of small salads swimming in dressing you can start with a huge salad with only minimal dressing, and then create your own dinner plate heavy on veggies and healthy protein and light on starchy carbs. Finally, the desserts on the buffet are easier for us to ignore;)

I'm on Weight Watchers, but when I'm on a cruise, I don't worry too much about dieting or staying on program. I eat what I want, and as much as I want. I do increase my activity but using the stairs and swimming. Last year, I gained 2 pounds, and this year, I gained 7 pounds. However, a lot of that is water retention because cruise food is notoriously salty, and I lost all the weight over the following week.

As someone else said, I watch my weight all year round, but not while on vacation. Otherwise, I'd feel deprived and I wouldn't have the willpower to stay on program throughout the rest of the year.

DH and I are among those who feel that they make better choices in the dining room, so we pretty much avoid the buffet. We start our day with a good breakfast, don't eat much in the way of lunch but will get some cheese, fruit, nuts to snack on, then make healthy selections for dinner and not too many courses. Limit or skip desserts. Have the bread/rolls removed from the table. We drink wine but not much else in the way of alcoholic beverages. Lots of walking, use the stairs.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

I am also on Weight Watchers and have been for the last 3 1/2 years and have lost 90 pounds, so the issue of gaining weight on a cruise is huge for me. Two years ago we went on a 2 week cruise to Hawaii and I gained 7 pounds, I was devastated and it took me a long time to get it back off. When we got back I had to re-think my choices that I had made. Apparently, it was the mind set of whoohoo I'm on vacation so eat all that was in sight - Not a good game plan. So this year, I struck on a new plan.

1) Always took the stairs - this was a little more difficult coming in from a tour and climbing from Deck 4 to Deck 10 (we take a break at 7 and stopped for a diet coke).

2) Did not drink any foo-foo drinks or alcohol of any kind (water and diet drink only) Had coffee in the morning, but brought my own sugar free creamer.

3) Breakfast - I stuck to oatmeal and fruit

4) Lunch paid a little more attention to my food choices - but on seafood day, I totally enjoyed

5) Had what I wanted for dinner

The result was I gained only 1/2 a pound on a 7 day cruise. Plus the upside was I never felt deprived. Good luck because if you are like me, food is a major challenge.

I never gain weight on a cruise. The secret? I eat whatever I want, just not as much as I want, I never feel like an overstuffed toad this way! :D

Since food is available all of the time, there has never been the need to over eat at meals on a cruise ship.

Also, I make sure I am much more active onboard by walking more, swimming more, etc. Instead of sitting for hours with a book, I walk the ship and explore (even on those we have sailed on numerous times before). I can always find something to investigate that I didn't the previous sailings.

But I honestly think the clue to balancing the weight is to just not over eat. I never refuse what foods interest me, but I rarely eat it all. Total self control with those amounts is the clue on this end.

We absolutely stay away from the buffet-for breakfast have a light breakast from room service, lunch in the dining room or on the Emerald you can get a lovely light lunch in the International Cafe', and dinner in the dining room. Stairs whenever possible, lots of walks on the deck. And (usually unsuccessfully!) avoid the warm chocolate cookies in the afternoon...:D

I ALWAYS take the stairs. I eat less a couple of weeks before we leave. I don't touch the bread on the cruise since I eat desserts that I normally don't at home. Other than that I eat whatever I want, and I never gain, sometimes I even loose.

I am also on Weight Watchers and have been for the last 3 1/2 years and have lost 90 pounds, so the issue of gaining weight on a cruise is huge for me. Two years ago we went on a 2 week cruise to Hawaii and I gained 7 pounds, I was devastated and it took me a long time to get it back off. When we got back I had to re-think my choices that I had made. Apparently, it was the mind set of whoohoo I'm on vacation so eat all that was in sight - Not a good game plan. So this year, I struck on a new plan.

1) Always took the stairs - this was a little more difficult coming in from a tour and climbing from Deck 4 to Deck 10 (we take a break at 7 and stopped for a diet coke).

2) Did not drink any foo-foo drinks or alcohol of any kind (water and diet drink only) Had coffee in the morning, but brought my own sugar free creamer.

3) Breakfast - I stuck to oatmeal and fruit

4) Lunch paid a little more attention to my food choices - but on seafood day, I totally enjoyed

5) Had what I wanted for dinner

The result was I gained only 1/2 a pound on a 7 day cruise. Plus the upside was I never felt deprived. Good luck because if you are like me, food is a major challenge.

Congrats on the weight loss! Yes, I struggle with weight...have for most of my life. I'm turning 40 October 28th and I leave for my 2 week cruise the next day. We have been living in Germany for the last two years (military) and I decided not to work so I could concentrate on getting back to my pre-married weight 13 years ago. I have lost 20 pounds and would like to lose another 15 before the cruise...going well! My husband and I travel a lot so I can't justify over eating with "hey, I'm on vacation"; but cruises pose a huge temptation vs. eating out while traveling Europe. I guess I have this mindset that I want to eat a lot since it is included in the cruise price..weird? OH and those 3:30-4:30 ice cream and hot cookies (maybe I'll hit the gym during those hours). I like the suggestion of oatmeal and fruit for breakfast and someone else mentioned cheese, nuts, and crackers for lunch (good for day excursions) and then eating what I want for dinner (without getting full...just satisfied). I think I will try eating dessert only every other night and see how that works. All tips appreciated. Good luck with continued sucess with Weight Watchers.

:eek:

I never gain weight on a cruise. The secret? I eat whatever I want, just not as much as I want, I never feel like an overstuffed toad this way! :D

Since food is available all of the time, there has never been the need to over eat at meals on a cruise ship.

Also, I make sure I am much more active onboard by walking more, swimming more, etc. Instead of sitting for hours with a book, I walk the ship and explore (even on those we have sailed on numerous times before). I can always find something to investigate that I didn't the previous sailings.

But I honestly think the clue to balancing the weight is to just not over eat. I never refuse what foods interest me, but I rarely eat it all. Total self control with those amounts is the clue on this end.

I will have to remember...don't be an overstuffed toad :eek: . I read on a different thread that a person suggested ordering an "appetizer" portion of the entree she wanted to help her not eat too much. She also ordered a plate of steamed veggies and ate those up first. I'm getting all kinds of great ideas. If any of you have food ideas, like what low calorie foods Princess has that taste good vs. the hidden ones that are packed with calories:mad: .

Thank you mjfester. Good luck with your continued weight loss. Each day offers a different challenge. We just have to keep an eye on the prize and that is a healthier life.

I know that on a cruise food is constantly there and it is harder to pass up on things. On our last cruise the had a dessert buffet. I told my husband I just wanted to "looK". Well I put some of the "look" on my plate and took it up to my cabin to enjoy on the balcony. When I set down for my feast I found I could only eat a few bites and really wasted the rest (sorry). But I found out a very important thing about myself. That it is ok to taste a dessert without eating the whole thing. What was funny was my husband who after I did not eat the whole plate, he said that he wondered what I was doing as he knew I would not eat it. I love his confidence and faith in me!

As an above poster mentioned I sometimes will request the appetizers in lieu of the main entree. Now I happen to like the the Eggplant parmesean so I might order two of those(they are small) and just forget the entree. Years ago I used to just graze all around the buffet and stuff myself to death or like what Toto said overstuffed toad. Now I still go to the buffet but I just take smaller portions and refuse to pile my plate up high. Really the secret is eat what you want but just in small portions.

As for exercise I get up early so I walk the deck where my cabin is. I will walk that corrider maybe 3-4 time(these ships are long) and will do that before most people get up or the room stewards get their cleaning carts out. I try to do that virtully every single day. It truly does help.

marilyn

P.S. Toto we think a lot alike. it sometimes is scary.

I didn't take my first cruise until I was 50, and one reason was I assumed that massive weight gain was an automatic feature. It's not. We've only cruised Regent, and they don't have the big buffets as a rule. We've done port-intensive cruises, so we get a lot of exercise during the day. We start with oatmeal or muesli with yogurt and fruit for breakfast, since that doesn't wear off too fast. Lunch is whatever we find, wherever. Dinner is several courses, but the individual plates are fairly small. We usually skip the pasta course before the entree; it's superfluous for us. We certainly indulge in drinks and wine at dinner.

Basically, we don't eat much differently from the way we do at home. I shake my head at posts I read on some of these boards where people say they ate six lobster tails. It's not hard to get lobster at the supermarket, and we'll sometimes fix that at home for Saturday night dinner. Essentially, we find you're just fine as long as you don't approach the food selections as something you'll never see again. You will.

Archived