Share Tips On How Not To Gain Weight On A Cruise!!!

mjfeaster

I'm not accustomed to eating three times a day, so at breakfast I stick to yogurt and fruit, perhaps a roll or toast. Lunch, if I have any, will be a salad. Dinner (early seating) would be an appetizer, salad, sometimes soup, entree. Seldom have dessert. I use the stairs as much as possible, although knees sometimes make the elevator necessary. Although I prefer smaller ships, bigger ships are better for weight loss because of all the walking to get anywhere. I lost two pounds on my last cruise (12 nights), and am hoping to double that on my next (32 days). Since I need to lose more, I wonder how much I could lose on a world cruise, and if my doctor could get my health insurance to pay for it...EM

I tried to get my doctor to prescribe a month at the beach to treat my (stress induced) hypertension. No deal. *sigh*

So, maybe a world cruise instead of lapband surgery? works for me!! :p

What have been some of the food you have had on Princess that has been worth the calories...me I love the hamburger grill w/ french fries, and the fettucini alfredo at night, of course their cheescake is good. I have found most of the desserts look good but don't pack a lot of flavor...I will need to choose wisely:D

So, what have you found to be good?

p.s. I know, I know...I'm on vacation so eat and make up for it later, but my husband and I have been stationed in Germany for 2 years and have traveled a lot (so I can't use that excuss or I would have packed on 100 pounds vs. losing 20). I haven't had "American" food in so long I'm afraid I'm going to want to eat everything!:eek:

My experience has been that if I skip all desserts, and after dinner each night have berries with nonfat milk, I do ok. Incidentally, I do not use the stairs, and take the elevator all the time (knee problems), but I do work out almost every day and walk around a lot in port cities. On our first cruise, when I did not follow this plan, I gained weight. On our subsequent eight cruises, I did the above, and either maintained or lost weight. One more thing, I do not drink alcoholic beverages at all, either at home or cruising, so that is probably a factor that helps me on a cruise.

I'm on Weight Watchers,

My wife and I have also been doing Weight Watchers in preparation for our Nov cruise. How many points for the creme brulee? :D This will probably be the last cruise the we will be taking for a long time so I am not adding points. I think on average you can expect to gain is a pound a day. Thats 7lbs. I lost 15 i hate giving 1/2 of it back. For me most of the weight is water. For some reason by day 2 I retain water to the point that I can't see my ankles and my watch has to be adjusted larger. Never happens at home. My body must suck in the water from the ocean. When I get home I drop at least 3 of the 7lbs the first week.

I am a plump pigeon to start but I try to be careful

Breakfast avoid sweet rolls ,and fatty foods yes I know they are delicious

I order room service yogurt and muslie ,fruit and coffee

Lunch fish and salad mostly ...No desserts no bread

Dinner enjoy get full-always take a soup and skip dessert

Walk ,Swim .Take the stairs Drink H2O.Explore ship.Walk a lot

Good Luck !!

Do resist the cookies (4pm).My hubby and son NEVER could !!!I know I know they are FABULOUS!!!

Just have a good time you can always diet when you get home!!!

YES! - After awhile I can't wait to get home and just have a cheese sandwich.

I crave a simple turkey/avo/swiss sandwich about 3 or 4 days into any trip that's filled with restaurant meals. I know you can get sandwiches made around 4 pm on Princess ships, but I'm never interested in eating then. I read on another thread that there are veggie sandwiches on the room service menu (not sure how I missed that!), so I am going to have one of those for lunch a couple of times on our next cruise.

...I read on another thread that there are veggie sandwiches on the room service menu (not sure how I missed that!), so I am going to have one of those for lunch a couple of times on our next cruise.

I mentioned the vegetarian sandwich on another thread just yesterday. It's sliced avocado, tomato, and lettuce w/mayo on wonderful multi-grain toast. Served with fries, chips, or cole slaw. A fabulous mid-afternoon snack, especially when I don't have lunch. I will probably have this a few times when I'm on the Star next week :)

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Thanks for all these pointers. We are taking our first 14 day cruise in Feb. and I have been a little worried how to control the amount of weight gain. I usually come home from a 7 day with anywhere from 7 - 12 pound gain. My husband, at the most, gains 2 pounds. My matabolism is different I guess, or maybe it's my willpower, I don't know. I have taken off 40 pounds and plan to "remove" another 10-15 before Feb. so I will have some leeway for gain. I'm not good at depriving myself on cruises. It's easy to say I'm not going to eat desserts and it's another to actually do it. After all "IT'S ALREADY PAID FOR". I plan to use many of these suggestions and to think smart. Thanks.

That sounds delicious. Thanks for the tip -- it was your post yesterday that I read. :)

DH and I rarely do lunch when we travel; we enjoy a hearty, protein-rich breakfast and usually only have something very light to keep us satisfied until dinner. That sandwich hits the spot for me!

When I have been to lunch in the dining room, one of the best items I've had is the Cobb Salad. It's one of the best-ever versions of the famous "chopped" salad that originated at the Brown Derby in Beverly Hills. Pam from CA said that she sometimes orders this for dinner - sounds good to me!

Just two more days until DH and I sail to Alaska on the lovely Star Princess!

Chris

Here is what worked for me

1. Only eat at mealtimes.

2. Use the stairs instead of the elevator

3. Walk the promenade deck or jogging track

4. Use the gym once a day on sea days

The biggest thing for me I think was using the stairs. For breakfast I had Bacon, eggs, and a bagel. Lunch was usually a sandwich, and for dinner I would eat whatever I wanted on the menu (I always ate in the dining room for dinner) - that included appetizer and desserts. I'd usually take a walk around the promenade deck after dinner. I lost a couple of pounds doing that.

I mentioned the vegetarian sandwich on another thread just yesterday. It's sliced avocado, tomato, and lettuce w/mayo on wonderful multi-grain toast. Served with fries, chips, or cole slaw. A fabulous mid-afternoon snack, especially when I don't have lunch. I will probably have this a few times when I'm on the Star next week :)

Bon Appetit!

Chris

That sounds so good. Maybe all have that instead of the poolside hamburger grill; well I'll alternate.

DH and I rarely do lunch when we travel; we enjoy a hearty, protein-rich breakfast and usually only have something very light to keep us satisfied until dinner. That sandwich hits the spot for me!

When I have been to lunch in the dining room, one of the best items I've had is the Cobb Salad. It's one of the best-ever versions of the famous "chopped" salad that originated at the Brown Derby in Beverly Hills. Pam from CA said that she sometimes orders this for dinner - sounds good to me!

Chris

I will bring my own Paul Newman dressing (I love it) and have salads for dinner. Have fun on your trip to Alaska. I had a great time on our cruise to Alaska...beautiful! My favorite is still the Norwegian Fjords though...highly recommend it. If you like Alaska you will love the Fjords.

I do love me some Cobb salad. I made one for dinner a few weeks ago. My son thought it was called Cop Salad -- invented by a cop?? :) Yummy, but I definitely don't consider it part of a weight control plan!

The Princess version of the famous Cobb Salad is not a bad choice if you ask for the fat-free dressing on the side ;)

About the "original" Bob Cobb salad:

"One night in 1937, Bob Cobb, then owner of The Brown Derby, prowled hungrily in his restaurant's kitchen for a snack. Opening the huge refrigerator, he pulled out this and that: a head of lettuce, an avocado, some romaine, watercress, tomatoes, some cold breast of chicken, a hard-boiled egg, chives, cheese and some old-fashioned French dressing. He started chopping. Added some crisp bacon -- swiped from a busy chef.

"The Cobb salad was born. It was so good, Sid Grauman (Grauman's Chinese Theatre), who was with Cobb that midnight, asked the next day for a 'Cobb Salad.' It was so good that it was put on the menu.

"Cobb's midnight invention became an overnight sensation with Derby customers, people like movie mogul Jack Warner, who regularly dispatched his chauffeur to pick up a carton of the mouth-watering salad."

http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/CobbSalad.htm

Please share tips on what you have done on previous cruises to help not gain weight. I know the obvious....use the gym :mad: , don't eat yada yada yada, but what about different food choices you made? I heard someone say on a post that they ordered a veggie platter every night at dinner for an appetizer to help fill them up (so they didn't over eat the main course). I'm going to use that one! Also, does anyone remember if Princess has the calorie contents of their menu items:confused: ? I don't want to obsess:eek: with weight worry on the cruise, but little things can help.

We eat all 3 meals in the dining room, where portion sizes are sensible. We avoid the buffet, where we would be tempted to try everything. We also try to do plenty of walking in the ports or on excursions. If we gain weight, it is less than 5 pounds, and comes off when we return home to our normal diet.

DavidnSteph

For a special dinner entree, you have to order it the night before. Tell your waiter and he will get the table captain to take the order. We ordered salads for dinner several times and with soup as an appetizer, it was more than enough. On a 31-day cruise there were many nights when we just couldn't face a rich dinner so a few other nights, we did room service and ordered soup and salad, which were excellent.

A couple of times on our Crown cruise, the buffet had Cobb salad at lunch where you could take as much as you wanted and get your own dressing.

FYI, a trick to watching calories, particularly if you order a salad at any time, is to ask to have the dressing on the side. That way, the salad isn't saturated with dressing and you can decide how much is enough for you.

Gosh, a hard question. We really like to just eat at the buffet. We tend to grab the platters but walk around to see what is offered first. Then take small portions. If it is just fantastic then after eating go back for more. Have not done that yet, but could if I wanted to.

Also if able, use the stairs all the time. Have not gained weight on a cruise yet, so our plan works. Never gone hungry on a cruise. Visit the buffet often and always, but limit things.

In the main dining rooms, how many courses are there and is it 'the done thing' to just pick and choose how many courses you want.

I'm not big on desserts, but I'll normally keep eating whatever they put in front of me! I don't want to come back from my first cruise 10lbs heavier.

Do they also put fat-free roquefort cheese and fat-free bacon on it? ;)

"Everything in moderation" is my motto regarding food. I would never have Cobb Salad daily - it's a special treat and a rare indulgence, especially on a Princess cruise.

I rarely do dessert - reminds me of the nuns who admonished students in parochial school to "give up" sweets during Advent/Lent and the ballet mistress who advised her proteges to "stay away" from sweets. I may not want Creme Brulee or one of those lovely Princess souffles, but I won't turn my nose up at avocado, bacon, and blue cheese :D

Bon Appetit!

Chris

In the main dining rooms, how many courses are there and is it 'the done thing' to just pick and choose how many courses you want.

I'm not big on desserts, but I'll normally keep eating whatever they put in front of me! I don't want to come back from my first cruise 10lbs heavier.

There is always options of soup, salad, entree and dessert. You can have as many as you like of any and all. You can also order appetizer sizes of entrees. I find the desserts often look a lot better than they taste, so I usually opt for a scoop of ice cream or treat myself a few times to their cheescake w/ raspberry topping YUM!

Archived