IF ship skips a port do they compensate?

madiandcindy

With this nasty hurricane business going on I am wondering if for some reason the ship skips a port and we have another sea day do we get compensated for that? We are already at sea for 4 days out of 7 if we skip a port that would be bad for me, I think 4 days at sea is a lot already.

They may or may not - we missed Costa Maya and were compensated $25 in onboard credit. It was a nice touch, but like you, I had had enough of sea days. It was in the form of compensating some of the missed port fees, we were told.

Sometimes they'll try and schedule another port instead, in which case I don't believe they'll refund you anything.

DH & I were discussing this year's hurricane season and our upcoming cruise. He said I don't care if we just sail around in circles - as long as I am on a cruise. I believe he would rather have a 7 day cruise to nowhere.

I think, like everyone else has said, that they will try to find another port to visit if it is possible.

They are not REQUIRED to compensate you anything. If it happens and you do get a compensation, you are lucky to get anything. We were compensated one cruise when it was too choppy to tender into St. Maarten with free rum punch all day long. THAT was a fun day!!

Last year when we were sailing into Ocho Rios (one of my favorites) the ship in front of us could not get into port because of the seas. They tried a few times while we waited out in the ocean watching. (Unfortunately it was a Carnival ship....we were on Royal Caribbean). Their ship finally gave up and headed out to sea. Our captian took his turn and we gracefully slid right up to the dock, no problem Mon! We were in port and disembarking by 8:30 am while the poor people on the Carnival ship were sailing out to sea for an extra sea day. The weather that day was awesome. So, I guess you just never know!

Like the OP said, we sailed during Katrina and didn't make it past Key West. We were given a refund for the "port fee" for Nassau. And again, don't get too excited, it was around $33 for the two of us.

I actually made out better the next year. I booked the same exact cruise and it was cancelled about 3 or 4 days before we left due to hitting a coral reef (yea I know...) We had to change airports, and it was leaving a day sooner so had to rearrange work schedules.

Carnival:

*paid for the difference in our airfare

*gave us free transfers to and from the ship

*choc. covered strawberries in our room

*wine and champagne

*upgraded us from inside to OV

*gave us $150 OBC

*and then, when I got home had a credit of $150 on my credit card from Carnival

I did not have insurance and have no clue how I got so lucky. And as it turned out, the 2nd ship was much nicer!

Last year we missed two ports one of them being Half Moon Cay and was refunded the port charges to Grand Turk. We were also given a rum punch party and the other night champagne with dinner. It is a bummer when you miss one stop let alone two but aside with some onboard fussing everyone was pretty quite. ( no mutiny)

We are leaving on Oct. 6...first stop Grand Turk..but with the terrible damage to the island, no power, destroyed homes they will more than likely send us somewhere else...but I know someone will be fussing (someone always does) Thank goodness their were no loss of lives.

Just put me on the ship, set sail and keey us out of harms way.

Missygirl

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

We missed both Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk last week on the Triumph. We got the port charges of $20 per person per port applied as an OBC.

That's all I expected. I paid for a 7 day cruise and I got a 7 day cruise. It actually was a NICE cruise despite missing ports. I'm not a sea-day lover either but it didn't bother me at all this time.

Go, have fun, don't worry about the things you have no control over. :)

just curious...how do they refund the money already paid for a Carnival excursion..if port is cancelled?

(ie .. I have already paid for a Grand Turk excursion..and I sincerely doubt we will be going there (Oct)..)

just curious...how do they refund the money already paid for a Carnival excursion..if port is cancelled?

(ie .. I have already paid for a Grand Turk excursion..and I sincerely doubt we will be going there (Oct)..)

Last year, all our excursions were cancelled - and the charges were immediately credited to our S&S account -

We did not go to Cozumel at all - seas too rough to tender. And the particular excursions we had chosen were cancelled for Calica.

Between that - and $25 credit for each of us for missing Cozumel - and $15 credit for each of us for not being able to board until 3pm on embarkation day - we ended up with a bill of only $88 - despite lots of game room tokens, drinking, bingo, and pictures!

Last year, all our excursions were cancelled - and the charges were immediately credited to our S&S account -

We did not go to Cozumel at all - seas too rough to tender. And the particular excursions we had chosen were cancelled for Calica.

Between that - and $25 credit for each of us for missing Cozumel - and $15 credit for each of us for not being able to board until 3pm on embarkation day - we ended up with a bill of only $88 - despite lots of game room tokens, drinking, bingo, and pictures!

THANKS! was not sure if it would go on S&S or direct to CC...;)

and , like you, I am sure it will go to good use!

With this nasty hurricane business going on I am wondering if for some reason the ship skips a port and we have another sea day do we get compensated for that? We are already at sea for 4 days out of 7 if we skip a port that would be bad for me, I think 4 days at sea is a lot already.

No, there is no compensation. Carnival doesn't control the weather....... In the contract you agreed to, they have said that ports may be missed, routes changed, etc. When cruising during hurricane season, it's always a possibility.

They usually return your port taxes for the missed port and credit your S&S account unless they find an alternate port they can use..

Archived