Live News from Galveston

hippie2008

Why all the pessimism? All will be fine at the pier by Tuesday, if not Monday. All the critical stuff is on the second floor of the terminal. The ground floor is just a warehouse. There will be no storm surge there, water rises, water falls.

The Conquest will not be going to NOLA. Guaranteed. Even in the worse of circumstances.

Now, does anyone have a link to that bar shown on FOX news where the knuckleheads are partying?

the french quarter and riverwalk area of n.o. wasn't damaged either after Katrina but there were no workers or infrastucture to work. That is why we lost the Conquest. It will all depend on what happens to all of Galveston before they make a decision.

I hope everything is fine. I am from NO but have booked a cruise on the Conquest for next summer. I am looking forward to spending a couple of days in Galveston before our cruise.

Im wondering about the folks out on the ship, like when this happened with Katrina, folks came back to parked cars under water,how do they get home? Of course Im not saying thats gonna happen, but if Galveston island is full of water, good chance their cars are flooded or worse? We always parked at the Hilton, but it doenst look good there either. This is why we never go during hurricane season anymore. Its just too darn risky! I feel for those folks on that live there. We are in San Antonio and we are out of the woods here! So far, nothing going on here. Maybe some wind and rain later!

Have been reading these threads today on update of Ike. FYI not everyone who stayed is an a##. Some of us have to stay for emergency services directly before and rescue after. DH and I would have liked to leave. We are already experiencing sporadic power outages, having to deal with some a## who are drinking and setting off fire works in their yards and high winds. Just remember that some people HAVE to stay to deal with those that should have left. Not all are idiots.

I know as a mom of one in the houston area I appreciate the fact that someone does stay to take care of the emergency services. I also know that a lot of the stories on the news have been about people bragging that they can make it through after all they did before .. and I think those are the people that get others upset. I have been annoyed today that some selfish people put other rescuers in jeopardy.

As you you and hubby .. stay safe and god bless you for what you do !!

Im wondering about the folks out on the ship, like when this happened with Katrina, folks came back to parked cars under water,how do they get home? Of course Im not saying thats gonna happen, but if Galveston island is full of water, good chance their cars are flooded or worse? We always parked at the Hilton, but it doenst look good there either. This is why we never go during hurricane season anymore. Its just too darn risky! I feel for those folks on that live there. We are in San Antonio and we are out of the woods here! So far, nothing going on here. Maybe some wind and rain later!

Well, we ARE on the Conquest right now and our car IS at the port and WE are wondering the same thing...so if you find the answer could you please share with me (and I will share with the others onboard in the same boat...Ohhhh that is a BAD pun!!!) :)

Correct me if I'm wrong on the ships used after Katrina. They were not used for those that were victims and had lost their homes. They were used for the workers that were there to help get NOLA's infrastructure back going again.

Sensation and Ecstasy were used for workers in NOLA. Holiday was docked first in Mobile and then moved to Pascagoula MS and it housed victims.

Debe7ing,

They have not showed anything on the pier or port yet. The Weather Channel has been reporting out of the San Luis Resort & Spa, and they show the first floor of the garage under water :( . Praying for good news, for all of you that parked their cars and the pier, Lighthouse, or EZ Cruise.

would that mean that people will have cruises cancelled

due to the ships being used for the hurricane purposes?

just curious ...

sorry ahead of time , if that is a stupid question:o

Thank you

I don't think anyone knows if cruises will be cancelled, or moved to a different port, as of yet.

Just saw a feed from a reporter driving around Galveston, looks like a lot of damage. We sail in 12 days, who knows if that is going to happen. We serve around 200 properties from Galveston to Dallas, many hospitals and nursing homes. We spent a week in Louisiana last week bringing people back on line, looks like the guys will be busy again next week.

The photos and video of boulders sitting on Seawall Blvd. are amazing. It must be terrible on the island if we can only get pics of what's going on along the seawall and no one is able to go past there.

I really feel for people there, and in Houston, too, since it looks they took an abusive hit as well.

Any one heard anything about the Flagship Hotel in Galveston? That's the one built out on the pier. Have not heard anything about it on any of the cable news stations.

Doug

It's still there. I was more worried about this place, much more historic.....

balinese_main.jpg

Any one heard anything about the Flagship Hotel in Galveston? That's the one built out on the pier. Have not heard anything about it on any of the cable news stations.

Doug

They showed the Flagship hotel on one of our news stations. There is damage on the facade, but no in-depth coverage yet.

Archived