Port of Galveston?

KCE

Carnival's site states that they expect the port to be open on Monday (I seriously doubt that!) and it says that both the Conquest AND Ecstasy are expected to return and then depart on the same day. What a clusterfutch THAT will be!!!!! It is terrible to try and get through customs when it's only one ship debarking, I can't imagine two.:eek:

Why would it be? There are two terminals there. There have been plenty of sailings were there have been two ships (Conquest and Rhapsody) in port.

Dave

Why would it be? There are two terminals there. There have been plenty of sailings were there have been two ships (Conquest and Rhapsody) in port.

Dave

And Voyager and Conquest. Two BIG ships. They can handle two easily-did it every Sunday for years.

And Voyager and Conquest. Two BIG ships. They can handle two easily-did it every Sunday for years.

I think given the circumstances that this has the potential to be a logistics nightmare.

First you have several thousand guests departing from two ships into Galveston, many of which will require special assistance with travel arrangements. And those that have a car will have to see if it's even possible to get their car off the parking lot.

Then you will have several thousand more guests arriving, many of which will be trying to find a place to park.

Then you have to get the ships provisions stocked, and we currently don't know the condition of the storage warehouses around the port.

And then what about those that evacuated and haven't returned? Will there even be enough port staff to get this operation executed in time?

Too many questions right now and I truly hope it works out for everyone. Regardless, I hope many of the guests are understanding and patient.

Carnival's site states that they expect the port to be open on Monday (I seriously doubt that!) and it says that both the Conquest AND Ecstasy are expected to return and then depart on the same day. What a clusterfutch THAT will be!!!!! It is terrible to try and get through customs when it's only one ship debarking, I can't imagine two.:eek:

I would give them a little time to re-evaluate and update that; it was posted yesterday BEFORE the hurricane.

Geez, They just asked a simple question. You could of just said "We won't know till this is all over"

thanks crusinMom, sometimes when people ask a simple question some think the only way to answer it is to jump down someones throat. If I needed to know something like this (maybe cruising in a week or so) I would ask as well..

NIta

CNBC showed a pan of the area a while ago - part of the dock is missing.

Carnival is doing an amazing job trying to assess whats happening and informing their people - trying to keep 3000 people aboard a ship that cannot go home calm and non-stressed is truly difficult.

Galveston is closed. The roads are impassable. The island has been without water for over 24 hours and power for 15. The emergency crews are clearing debris on roads for rescue and to restore services. For the smart souls that evacuated, they are not allowed home. The business owners, the home owners, and I'm sorry to say - not 3000 people trying to get to their vacation. People are dying out there. People have lost EVERYTHING. They just reported the Galveston downtown is STILL underwater. And until the engineers are able to get to port to deem its safety, Carnival will re-route whatever they need. Stay in close contact with them - their web site is not continuously updated. They simply do not know.

If you lost your car, I'm so sorry. Water damage is so hard to "fix" without replacing...BUT you may be lucky. I seriously doubt you will be able to recover your vehicle until next week at the earliest. Until they at least restore power to the island, they will not allow anyone on the island.

For those of you waiting to leave - perhaps you will really get a treat by leaving from another port - See sights you werent expecting to see. You may be pleasantly surprised. Just stay in close contact with Carnival and realize that the info on the website is not always super current.

Prayers to all...

Carnival is doing an amazing job trying to assess whats happening and informing their people - trying to keep 3000 people aboard a ship that cannot go home calm and non-stressed is truly difficult.

Galveston is closed. The roads are impassable. The island has been without water for over 24 hours and power for 15. The emergency crews are clearing debris on roads for rescue and to restore services. For the smart souls that evacuated, they are not allowed home. The business owners, the home owners, and I'm sorry to say - not 3000 people trying to get to their vacation. People are dying out there. People have lost EVERYTHING. They just reported the Galveston downtown is STILL underwater. And until the engineers are able to get to port to deem its safety, Carnival will re-route whatever they need. Stay in close contact with them - their web site is not continuously updated. They simply do not know.

If you lost your car, I'm so sorry. Water damage is so hard to "fix" without replacing...BUT you may be lucky. I seriously doubt you will be able to recover your vehicle until next week at the earliest. Until they at least restore power to the island, they will not allow anyone on the island.

For those of you waiting to leave - perhaps you will really get a treat by leaving from another port - See sights you werent expecting to see. You may be pleasantly surprised. Just stay in close contact with Carnival and realize that the info on the website is not always super current.

Prayers to all...

Based on what I witnessed after Katrina, insurance companies will not allow flooded vehicles to be repaired. The vehicles will be inpounded, removed and destroyed. We had countless staging lots near Mobile with flooded vehicles from MS and LA. They were all sent to the crusher within months. All those lots are now empty. There will probably be no need and no opportunity to claim and retrieve your vehicle if you had full coverage. If you didn't have full coverage, you are SOL. Your vehicle will still be destroyed because of the contaminants in the water. It is now a bio-hazard.

Dang that sux. I'm trying to get some media attention to that area...it is part of the loss story and stranded passengers should get someones attention. Just a simple report and some pix and information about the garage...

With all due respect, a car is fairly easy to replace. I have family members who appear to have lost their homes.

While I know this is a cruise site, I hope those cruisers affected by the storm stop and think about what others have lost over the last 24 hours before they begin to complain about their vacation being ruined.

While I know this is a cruise site, I hope those cruisers affected by the storm stop and think about what others have lost over the last 24 hours before they begin to complain about their vacation being ruined.

You can count on some who won't :rolleyes:

Prayers to all...

Very irresponsible post. Part of WHAT dock is missing? Are you sure you weren't looking at a pier? To imply that the cruise ship dock is missing is irresponsible. People have enough to worry about without false reports.

This is a link to the web cam of the Cruise Ship Terminal. The photo is from yesterday, but is this what you saw? The ships dock where you see the white structure in the middle of the frame.

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/harborhouse/frameset.html

AND I heard specifically that the new Cruise Terminal at Baypoint is fine. If there are major problems in Galveston, they can always sail from there.

Very irresponsible post. Part of WHAT dock is missing? Are you sure you weren't looking at a pier? To imply that the cruise ship dock is missing is irresponsible. People have enough to worry about without false reports.

This is a link to the web cam of the Cruise Ship Terminal. The photo is from yesterday, but is this what you saw? The ships dock where you see the white structure in the middle of the frame.

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/harborhouse/frameset.html

AND I heard specifically that the new Cruise Terminal at Baypoint is fine. If there are major problems in Galveston, they can always sail from there.

Thanks Snoozeman we are leaving in 12 days and we can't even get proper info or pics and we are here in Texas.

To anyone reading this from the Conquest or Ecstasy....the Mayor of Galveston is quoted by KHOU television station as saying

"They said that if residents can get to Broadway, they can leave the city on the outbound lane as that has been cleared."

25th street from the port runs to Broadway....so for those who get back to the port "if Carnival is able to dock there" and find cars that are driveable....

sounds like that is the route out.

I know the Exit 1 C road before you get to the Viaduct is very low. I can't see it being passable.

Galveston Island is off limits at this time. Just saw a report and a scene on KHOU: I45 South by the causeway as you get into Galveston is blocked by a couple of dozen to 30 boats that have been thrown on the highway by the hurricane. The reporter said that one of the boats was still running.

Olga

Not sure either, but glad they did, we sail in 12 days, I am in info overload, TV feeds from Houston on the computer and on the television, and Ike's rain is heading this way, maybe I should not worry about things I do not have control over, but curiosity is killing me.

I know!!When I started looking into my first cruise all I was told is "I always cruise in hurricane season and no problem" Well, this is a learning lesson for mua. I did purchase full insurance but frankly what I want is to know so we can make other plans, at this point until Carnival decides to come back from la la land and cancel the cruise of the 21st we're standing still. Not willing to loose 4k you know?

That is part of the problem, that news over 24 hours old on Carnivals website.

Obviously with a personal and professional interest about the area, I have various news web sites up on the computer as well as multiple TV channels on TV and Tivo. I have not found anything specific about the pier as of yet.

What I do know and IMHO, For those out at sea, First this is not Louisiana, Second the water is already reseeding, Galveston down 4’ some Bulldozers have been shown already moving debris from some of the roads.

Archived