Port of Galveston?

KCE

I emailed someone in KHOU news center because they are now doing some areal shots, asked them to fly over the pier. I let them know that passengers on ships departed from Galveston have posted here wondering about the condition of the pier, cars, etc. It can't hurt to ask?

I just did the same thing to CNN (since Carnival broadcasts CNN on all their ships).

I just did the same thing to CNN (since Carnival broadcasts CNN on all their ships).

I've sent emails to the weather channel, cnn, cnbc, hn and a couple stations in the Houston area...hopefully, they will say something.

I dont think anyone is trying to overdramatize here - I just think that many dont realize the dire shape of the island. BUT IT IS REFIXABLE. The loss of life is not. Rescue's are going slowly, but they are happening.

Thanks Kat, I hope so too :)

I guess I watch too many documentaries about the situation in the 9th ward :( . I still feel sad, that there are so many people displaced out of their homes, and that housing has not been replaced.

We can send money, and food to foreign countries, but we can't help those in LA? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Don't be afraid to come and visit!!! There is lots to do here....much more than just Bourbon Street. You don't hear about the other things much but believe me I have a list a mile long and not one thing is in the French Quarter. Don't get me wrong, I like that part of it too!:eek: Helping build back tourism is the best thing you can do for this city.

I moved here from Arizona after visiting here several times post Katrine. I never saw it before Katrina and that makes me sad. I just got here Aug. 4 and even after evacuating a week ago I still love it. The new Governor (IMHO) rocks!!! It's the south, if the government was not a little crooked it would not have the same charm!!:D As a Texan you should know that! The people here are awesome. They have the best sense of humor and are more than able to pitch in and make things work. The food....to die for!!:D

And............we have cruises!!!!!;)

I emailed someone in KHOU news center because they are now doing some areal shots, asked them to fly over the pier. I let them know that passengers on ships departed from Galveston have posted here wondering about the condition of the pier, cars, etc. It can't hurt to ask?

Great idea. Thanks for thinking of this and acting on it.

I, too, had been wondering how the pier fared through the storm. In no way do I want to minimize what is happening to the people of Galveston and their homes but the media is covering that aspect fairly well.. I do not know what the finacial impact of the cruise industry to Galveston island actually is, but I would think substantial. I think this will be an economic blow to the island as well as the loss of the other tourist spots. How many people are employed by the pier/dock and cruise line?

Don't be afraid to come and visit!!! There is lots to do here....much more than just Bourbon Street. You don't hear about the other things much but believe me I have a list a mile long and not one thing is in the French Quarter. Don't get me wrong, I like that part of it too!:eek: Helping build back tourism is the best thing you can do for this city.

I moved here from Arizona after visiting here several times post Katrine. I never saw it before Katrina and that makes me sad. I just got here Aug. 4 and even after evacuating a week ago I still love it. The new Governor (IMHO) rocks!!! It's the south, if the government was not a little crooked it would not have the same charm!!:D As a Texan you should know that! The people here are awesome. They have the best sense of humor and are more than able to pitch in and make things work. The food....to die for!!:D

LMAO!!!! Kat, It didn't take long for you to become a convert!! Just remember, it's STREETCAR, not TROLLEY.:D

LMAO!!!! Kat, It didn't take long for you to become a convert!! Just remember, it's STREETCAR, not TROLLEY.:D

Hey Pops!!! Just trying to spread the love.........even if he is a Texan!!!:eek: Everything I said was true!!! As soon as you get a little more right down there in Terrebonne (sp) Parish, I'll email you my list of things to do and you can help me get started.

It's funny that someone on this post mentioned living in a bowl. Earlier I was talking to Teri and I said my new name was SpongeKat Squarepants, I live in a bowl under the sea!!!:eek:

Hey Pops!!! Just trying to spread the love.........even if he is a Texan!!!:eek: Everything I said was true!!! As soon as you get a little more right down there in Terrebonne (sp) Parish, I'll email you my list of things to do and you can help me get started.

It's funny that someone on this post mentioned living in a bowl. Earlier I was talking to Teri and I said my new name was SpongeKat Squarepants, I live in a bowl under the sea!!!:eek:

Texans are Ok Kat, I used to be one!:D

When the water goes down we will do some of those things on your list.:p

Really, have you tried booking one leaving NOLA this month? There are currently no ships sailing from New Orleans. RCI does not support the Gulf Coast anymore. NCL only for 5 months out of the year. Carnival does but not enough to take a chance on bringing the Triumph to New Orleans at the moment. It was suppose to start sailing from NOLA last Sept. The Fantasy currently is in drydock so for a month no ships are sailing from NOLA.

Dave

A few thoughts. I have live ouside New Orleans my whole life (suburb). FEMA did better after Gustav, but certainly not good. They were painfully slow delivering MREs, water and ice. Our governor (he's awesome) was quite frustrated with them.

I think Carnival is being very shortsighted about Galveston. I think it is pretty safe to assume they will NOT be up and running anytime soon. We just went through massive power outages here, and it will take a while for the debris to be cleared so the power company can move in. I don't see them unloading ships with no electricity. We were not allowed to return home for varying number of days, depending on where we lived. After Katrina it was weeks before we could return home. Yet Carnival thinks Galveston will be able to unload ships and manage the people once they are off the ship?

As to the people onboard the Conquest now. To some it may seem extra gratuities is not a problem but to many it will be. Furthermore, I feel for those passengers who may not have additional vacation time at work. Has anyone considered the work consequences for these people?

And finally, I do not think it is fair or kind to belittle someone's loss of a car just because a house is bigger. A loss is a loss.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. :)

I can not imagine what the folks on these 2 cruise ships are going through.

I heard The Strand District got 6 1/2 feet. If they did not get any more than that...there is a slim chance that the Lighthouse parking lot is elevated enough to keep the water out of the engines.

We drove by there last week because we were going to park there until the Harbor House offered us free parking.

The lot did look "elevated" by several feet. And being on Market Street it is a few streets from the port.

I am surprised there has been no coverage of The Strand District with its historic buildings.

I don't hold out any hope for EZ Cruise lots A or B.

Really, have you tried booking one leaving NOLA this month? There are currently no ships sailing from New Orleans. RCI does not support the Gulf Coast anymore. NCL only for 5 months out of the year. Carnival does but not enough to take a chance on bringing the Triumph to New Orleans at the moment. It was suppose to start sailing from NOLA last Sept. The Fantasy currently is in drydock so for a month no ships are sailing from NOLA.

Dave

You are right. But we did and will have again. You can drive two hours to one. Which is less than the round trip work commute I had in California. The cruises will be up and running here shortly. I also mentioned it last because there is plenty to do here other than get on a cruise ship. It's an awesome city and the surrounding area offers lots to do also. Sorry I did not hire you to fact check my post!!:p I will from now on, can I have your email please?;) By the way your state is on my list of places to visit close by.

(just in case it does not come through in print...this email was written with a smile and sarcastic wit was intended)

A few thoughts. I have live ouside New Orleans my whole life (suburb). FEMA did better after Gustav, but certainly not good. They were painfully slow delivering MREs, water and ice. Our governor (he's awesome) was quite frustrated with them.

Jindle did an awesome job after Gustav..

We here on CC should all send out our hopes and prayers to the people in and around Galveston and Houston. One of my oldest friends in life lives in Texas City, Tx--17 blocks away from the Gulf of Mexico. As of today, I doubt there's much left of her wonderful vacation mobile home directly across the street from Galveston Beach---unfortunately where there is NO seawall. If any of you have been to Galveston Beach, you know how important the seawall is.

Galveston, Houston and the others touched by this horrible storm will survive! And, they'll be sailing the Gulf of Mexico soon!

God be with you!!

sunny

Dave

The Triumph is booking out of New Orleans starting in Nov 2009 . :)

http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=MSY&itinCode=WC7&durDays=4&shipCode=TI&subRegionCode=CW&rateCode=B&sailingID=48248&sailDate=11/10/2009

Where do you live?? I am watching the lower parishes on WWL and it breaking my heart. Those folks don't need anymore.

it says that both the Conquest AND Ecstasy are expected to return and then depart on the same day. What a clusterfutch THAT will be!!!!! It is terrible to try and get through customs when it's only one ship debarking, I can't imagine two.:eek:

Thats a crazy comment I've seen four ships in that port at the same time no problem.

Texans are Ok Kat, I used to be one!:D

When the water goes down we will do some of those things on your list.:p

Oh I know that!! I love Texans, some are great friends. I don't need Brenda, Mere and Teri kicking my arz!!!:eek: I was just giving him a hard time. So all you Texans please know I was just being my sarcastic self! I happen to love Texas, especially the driving speed in west Texas!!:D It made the cross country drive to NOLA much easier.

As for my list......I wanted to do a swamp tour but not in your yard!!!

Where do you live?? I am watching the lower parishes on WWL and it breaking my heart. Those folks don't need anymore.

Between BR and NOLA. We have suffered from Gustav and cruise in a couple of weeks on Conquest. I love New Orleans and hope we sail from that port as I wont have to worry about my car being flooded at least.

I too feel so sorry for southwest Louisiana. They have suffered much in that area and it is suffering to those who can afford it the least as the economy of La goes. Prayers for all going thru Ike.

We are hearing about a lot of damage in Houston, but the reporters are staying clear of information about the Galveston area....not a good sign.

I have been searching information on the Houston websites (KHOU), and Chron dot com, lots of pictures of Seabrook, Texas City, etc. It looks really, really bad, and they are several miles north of Galveston.

Governor Perry was on our local station, telling those that evacuated to stay away, until notified otherwise. Please pray for those in Galveston and the surrounding counties.

Archived