Port of Galveston?

KCE

Satman,

You are right...this is not Louisiana, and Texans will pull together to get Galveston back on its feet as soon as possible.

Agree 100%

I sailed out on the Conquest on the Tuesday after Rita. Yes it was a bit confusing, but it did happen. They actually checked people in ON the ship when it got late in the day. Luckily I was on early.

I really didn’t mean a lot of disrespect for our eastern neighbors. Matter of fact my dedicated crews left late on Labor day to go to repair systems on hospitals and retirement homes from Opelousas to Houma to Chalmette. But we have learned a lot from past storms. Evacuation plans, staging of response teams, 50 helicopters in the air as well as other resources in which to respond, all just 15 hours later.

We are finally getting some video from the air. Wow

For the person that asked, if you get an extra day at sea, yes you are charged a day's gratuity. Why would another $10 or $20pp cause them a hardship? Unless they were like the lady on here earlier this week complaining that her bar tab was too high because of the extra seaday.

Dave

Not sure either, but glad they did, we sail in 12 days, I am in info overload, TV feeds from Houston on the computer and on the television, and Ike's rain is heading this way, maybe I should not worry about things I do not have control over, but curiosity is killing me.

I cruise with my family in Jan. out of Galveston. Ike's rain just got to us...central Ark! We just sat through a tornado warning and more to come...

Just listening to CNN, and they just announced "no fatalities in Galveston" so far. But the reporter is standing in the less hard-hit areas, and the streets are flooded up to waist deep there. He also reported that the seawall appears to have held fast.

I'm thinking it will be a while before we really know. And remember that during Katrina in New Orleans, it was the levees breaking a day later that caused the worst damage. There are bad floods now in Plaquemines Parish south of New Orleans from Gustav last week.

We'll all keep watching and praying.

I know!!When I started looking into my first cruise all I was told is "I always cruise in hurricane season and no problem" Well, this is a learning lesson for mua. I did purchase full insurance but frankly what I want is to know so we can make other plans, at this point until Carnival decides to come back from la la land and cancel the cruise of the 21st we're standing still. Not willing to loose 4k you know?

I understand your frustrations and being on both sides of the fence, having just came thru Gustav with much damage we are clearing away, including roofs and barns, plus we sail outta Galveston or somewhere in a couple of weeks. We are concerned for all who are in harms way and yet we do want to take our cruise or take or just have a plan. Its the not knowing that makes some sound so testy on this site.

Of course people care about those who are suffering but if Carnival were more communicative with the public the frustrations would be less. Having cruised several other times my bet is that they will off load at the New Bayport Terminal and take on the next group of cruisers for a four day rather than seven. Just my take on the situation. Otherwise, New Orleans. Road must be open and they realize that fact. They will sail asap with all who make the appointed terminal though so don't unpack.

Best to all in Texas. Prayers and hugs.

If you look at the bottom right of the home page there is a link to Tropical Weather Update in red.

Good grief, I'm surprised you didn't have to come over here & click the mouse for me. I was looking for some big headline. Thanks a bunch!

From galvnews.com

Island closed; crews look for dead and injured

By Leigh Jones and Rhiannon Meyers

The Daily News

Published September 13, 2008

GALVESTON - As Hurricane Ike spirals on toward North Texas, the island, which took the brunt of the storm's wide girth, is in recovery mode and is closed to all inbound traffic, officials said.

Emergency crews' search and rescue efforts are focusing on the West End but the city has no reports of fatalities.

About 100 people have been rescued, authorities said. At least four have been flown to local hospitals in critical condition.

Seventeen structures have collapsed, including two apartment buildings. One of the apartment buildings is at Holiday Drive and Church Street. The other is near First Street and Ferry Road, City Manager Steve LeBlanc said.

Rescue crews will search the debris for bodies and injured people, he said.

Ten of the 17 buildings are homes that collapsed because of fire. City crews have been able to search as far west as 11 Mile Road but everything beyond that is still under water.

The causeway is in "bad shape," LeBlanc said. "It is covered in debris and the road has buckled in places."

But LeBlanc said he did not think the structural integrity of the bridge was compromised. The city is allowing people off the island.

State rescue crews are sending food, water and ice, and generators to the shelter at Ball High School. Officials had planned to close the shelter but had to keep taking in people who had nowhere else to go. Twelve Galveston firefighters were managing the injured at the school.

Flood waters are receding, but Harborside Drive, the Downtown Historic District and Broadway are still under water. Debris-clogged drains are hindering drainage.

LeBlanc said he was astonished by the emptiness in front of the Seawall. The Balinese Room, Murdoch's souvenir shop, Hooters and the 61st Street Pleasure Pier have all vanished, washed away in Ike's fury.

Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas said the blow to the west end of the island will create hardships for the rest of Galveston because 47 percent of the island's tax base is located on the West End.

She urged those who evacuated to be patient as the city tries to recover in the coming days.

"We will do everything we can to bring you home when it's safe to do so," she said.

On the Seawall, Ike sheared in half the plaque on the statue of victims of the 1900 Storm raising their arms in mourning.

All around the island, the outlook was grim.

A line of helicopters headed toward Galveston and some landed on the Seawall.

Homes have been gutted and ripped apart by the wind, cars are under water, stranded or discarded and boats are lying around town.

Debris is everywhere. The storm ripped up chunks of pavement on the Seawall that are now blocking the road. Cemeteries and parking lots have become lakes. Debris on fences west of 51st street indicate the water rose over 8 feet.

Some apartments west of 61st Street had missing windows, exposing bedrooms inside. A nail salon on 61st Street was completely ripped apart.

Wild animals, including possums and egrets, are milling around front yards and schools.

Emergency crews made their way through high waters Saturday morning, rescuing injured survivors.

Winds and rain severely damaged the Flagship hotel, the only structure remaining in front of the Seawall. The roof of city hall has collapsed, emergency responders said.

Fires raged around the city throughout the night as firefighters watched helplessly, unable to traverse the flooded city.

A building near 63rd Street and Stewart Road burned and officials said it was possibly a church. Houses burned after a fire broke out in one home at 51st Street and Avenue K.

The city’s water system is not functioning.

Part of the roof of the San Luis Hotel, where city officials and news media rode out the storm, was torn off and glass in the back of the building shattered. Water poured inside from the ceiling.

I emailed someone in KHOU news center because they are now doing some areal shots, asked them to fly over the pier. I let them know that passengers on ships departed from Galveston have posted here wondering about the condition of the pier, cars, etc. It can't hurt to ask?

What the HELL does this statement mean?

I didn't mean any disrespect to Louisiana's population.

What I meant was the way FEMA, and the elected officials, reacted to Katrina; and all of the devestation that has still not been repaired in the 9th ward. It is a shame, that there are still so many people displaced, after all the time that has passed.

I don't see the same situation happening in Galveston.

Just listening to CNN, and they just announced "no fatalities in Galveston" so far. But the reporter is standing in the less hard-hit areas, and the streets are flooded up to waist deep there. He also reported that the seawall appears to have held fast.

I'm thinking it will be a while before we really know. And remember that during Katrina in New Orleans, it was the levees breaking a day later that caused the worst damage. There are bad floods now in Plaquemines Parish south of New Orleans from Gustav last week.

We'll all keep watching and praying.

Actually the flooding is from Ike.

I don't see the same situation happening in Galveston.

Really? What is the size & population of New Orleans compared to Galveston? Your right, I don't see the same thing happening to Galveston either; LA has already written the handbook for you. Becareful on how long you think something should take to rebuild.

Read previous post :)

Got it! :) I must say that the city (New Orleans) was actually up and running fairly well and pretty soon considering the amount of damage after Katrina. Too bad the media made it seem like the only people left here were gangsters and thugs. There were lots of people here doing their best and helping each other. I did not live here then, but I had several friends that did and I got the real scoop from them...not TV.

I do hope Texas recovers quickly, but I think it will take at least a few weeks.

For the person that asked, if you get an extra day at sea, yes you are charged a day's gratuity. Why would another $10 or $20pp cause them a hardship? Unless they were like the lady on here earlier this week complaining that her bar tab was too high because of the extra seaday.

Dave

Excuse me I forgot that everybody online are rich. I guess I am the only person who know people who have to budget down to their last dollar.

Really? What is the size & population of New Orleans compared to Galveston? Your right, I don't see the same thing happening to Galveston either; LA has already written the handbook for you. Becareful on how long you think something should take to rebuild.

The mistakes FEMA, and the Louisiana govement (specifically the Mayor) made during Katrina were catastrophic. I hope to

God, that we learned our lesson.

Got it! :) I must say that the city (New Orleans) was actually up and running fairly well and pretty soon considering the amount of damage after Katrina. Too bad the media made it seem like the only people left here were gangsters and thugs. There were lots of people here doing their best and helping each other. I did not live here then, but I had several friends that did and I got the real scoop from them...not TV.

I do hope Texas recovers quickly, but I think it will take at least a few weeks.

Thanks Kat, I hope so too :)

I guess I watch too many documentaries about the situation in the 9th ward :( . I still feel sad, that there are so many people displaced out of their homes, and that housing has not been replaced.

We can send money, and food to foreign countries, but we can't help those in LA? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Very irresponsible post. Part of WHAT dock is missing? Are you sure you weren't looking at a pier? To imply that the cruise ship dock is missing is irresponsible. People have enough to worry about without false reports.

This is a link to the web cam of the Cruise Ship Terminal. The photo is from yesterday, but is this what you saw? The ships dock where you see the white structure in the middle of the frame.

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/harborhouse/frameset.html

AND I heard specifically that the new Cruise Terminal at Baypoint is fine. If there are major problems in Galveston, they can always sail from there.

Sorry dude - I thought I said it was CNBC...only repeating what they reported.

Archived