Calling all cruise 'experts' ~ can I get some advice please?

Butterfly~kisses!

Here's the deal ~

We have a X-mas cruise booked already -

~ Carnival Valor 7 day exotic western Caribbean

~ Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, and Honduras

~ 2 sea days

~ departs from Miami

I just came across another X-mas sailing, one night longer and priced $80 cheaper than our 7 day cruise.

~ Carnival Freedom 8 day exotic western Caribbean

~ Cozumel, Panama, and Costa Rica

~ 4 sea days

~ departs from Ft. Lauderdale

We are travelling with two small children who will want to spend quite some time in Camp Carnival. We don't plan on leaving the ship while at Belize and Honduras and ports are not that much of interest to us. We cruise more for the ship experience and time on board.

I'm having a really rough time deciding whether to change to the Freedom or keep our original booking.

Any 'expert' advice?

Here's the deal ~

~ 2 sea days

~ departs from Miami

I just came across another X-mas sailing, one night longer and priced $80 cheaper than our 7 day cruise.

~ 4 sea days

We are travelling with two small children who will want to spend quite some time in Camp Carnival. We don't plan on leaving the ship while at Belize and Honduras and ports are not that much of interest to us. We cruise more for the ship experience and time on board.

I'm having a really rough time deciding whether to change to the Freedom or keep our original booking.

Any 'expert' advice?

I guess it's all in how much you like the "at sea" days. I love them, if it were me, I would take 1 more day $80.00 cheaper any day of the week.:)

Here's the deal ~

~ 2 sea days

~ departs from Miami

~ 4 sea days

Any 'expert' advice?

I would also consider what you may do in those other ports - Panama and Costa Rica. You said you wouldn't go ashore in Belize or Honduras, but I assume that you would probably do a beach day in Grand Cayman?

Anyway, I ask because even though the cruise is cheaper for the longer itinerary, if you add excursions in both Panama and Costa Rica, it doesn't end up being cheaper in the long run.

If you don't plan on doing excursions in those two other ports, then I would say go for the longer itinerary, the Freedom is a newer ship too, so it should be in very nice shape.

Happy Sailing!!

We love sea days... We really enjoy the cruise... the ports are fun too, but relaxing on the ship is just fantastic too.

I would definitely switch to an 8 day cruise for $80 less... I would switch from a 7 day to an 8 day cruise, even if the price was identical.

Hurry... switch now, before you over think it... :D

I think you might prefer the Freedom because it's new .

There are fine beaches in the places you are going to .

I did not care for Panama ...sorry to all engineers but half an hour at the locks was more then enough .We drove FOREVER to get to some village with a famous church and some local Indians ....Truthfully it was very expensive and not worth it

We were told we should have gone to Panama city ..apparently very good shopping ...Next time

Here's the deal ~

~ 2 sea days

~ departs from Miami

~ 4 sea days

Any 'expert' advice?

I booked that Freedom cruise for Jan 2010. They look like great ports. I would take the Freedom if it were me

Thanks for all your great replies! I know, I should go for the Freedom, but I'm having a tough time picking up the phone and just going for it. I'm not sure what is stopping me exactly. We love sea days and love to eat in the dining room at lunch. The kids would have much for fun at camp than on a tour bus as well. So, what' stopping me? I'm just scared of making the wrong decision. We have an OV Guarantee booked right now and already have our cabin assignment on Riviera deck, so nothing exciting. How could I do worse on the Freedom? Are the cabins on Main deck noisy due to the public areas on the deck above it?

Agh, decisions, decisions....:confused:

If everything else was equal, I would go with the Freedom, BUT you didn't mention the difference in airfare. I know you can get to either port form either airport, but sometimes changing the day can change the price.

Well, that's the thing...we already have our tickets to fly into Palm Beach a few days before the cruise leaves and we were planning on taking the tri-rail from Palm Beach to Miami on Sunday for the Valor cruise. So, there would be no difference in airfaire. We'd just leave Palm Beach a day early and take the tri-rail to Ft. Lauderdale, if we were to choose the Freedom cruise.

Thanks for all your great replies! I know, I should go for the Freedom, but I'm having a tough time picking up the phone and just going for it. I'm not sure what is stopping me exactly. We love sea days and love to eat in the dining room at lunch. The kids would have much for fun at camp than on a tour bus as well. So, what' stopping me? I'm just scared of making the wrong decision. We have an OV Guarantee booked right now and already have our cabin assignment on Riviera deck, so nothing exciting. How could I do worse on the Freedom? Are the cabins on Main deck noisy due to the public areas on the deck above it?

Agh, decisions, decisions....:confused:

Take the Freedom. The extra day is nice, less money, and its a newer ship. Call and see if you could get and upgrade. Say you are thinking about changing ships and see what they offer. It never hurts to ask. The extra day is a big plus for me, and the ports looks good.

Well, that's the thing...we already have our tickets to fly into Palm Beach a few days before the cruise leaves and we were planning on taking the tri-rail from Palm Beach to Miami on Sunday for the Valor cruise. So, there would be no difference in airfaire. We'd just leave Palm Beach a day early and take the tri-rail to Ft. Lauderdale, if we were to choose the Freedom cruise.

Just make the call. No cruise is a bad cruise, unless the ship sinks. Sounds like you have the right attitude. Our first cruise rained every single day, and we missed our most anticipated excursion due to a killer migraine, and we still loved it....

I would switch to the Freedon in a heartbeat! ESPECIALLY if you don't plan on doing much more than enjoying the ship while in port! i did the panama, Costa Rica itin already on the Legend and have booked it again for my next cruise.

We also love days at sea and do not mind not having big plans for port days. the extra day is great!

As long as doing things in port is not an issue then you are so totally fine! Costa Rica and Panama do not offer the greatest excursion wise for youger kids in my opinion.....Longer cruise, more sea days, newer ship, better price....what more can you ask for!!!

I've done both cruises (Freedom's itinerary on Liberty in 2007, Valor this past February). I loved both, but if I had to choose between them I'd take Freedom. The Valor Western is very port-intensive, with four ports in four days; by the time we reached Cozumel, we were exhausted - could have used another sea day in there (although don't ask me which port I'd give up). I loved having four sea days on Liberty. And Costa Rica has some fun excursions for kids; we did a combination train and boat tour. In Panama, we booked an independent tour that had both beach time and a trip to the Gatun Locks, and the kids had a great time.

Here's the deal ~

~ 2 sea days

~ departs from Miami

~ 4 sea days

Any 'expert' advice?

I've done both and I highly recommend the Valor with those awesome ports and as far as not leaving the ship, you need to go to Tabyana beach in Roatan, not only is it one of the nicest beaches, your young kids will have a nice time there.

2210335362_b3649aafd6.jpg

Wennfred thank you for the beautiful picture. We booked the Dream for March 2010 and stop in Honduras. I think I know where we will spend the day!!:D

Good Luck in choosing, sounds like a hard call. We did the Panama, Costa Rica route on the Liberty and loved it, but it was just DH and I. We are empty nesters.

We too enjoyed Costa Rica, we took a tour to the Dole Banana Plantation and got to see the the area. I am currently looking to buy a home there up in the hills over looking the ocean. Lots of Americans are migrating there.

As far as Panama, we received a notice under the door the day we arrived that said Panama was a very dangerous place and to not venture off in side streets etc. :confused: We only went down to the terminal that day and returned back to the ship.

Fred

Archived