Your first cruise ship

Out of San Juan. We did 5 islands in 7 days and came home exhausted. The following year we tried Veendam and a few more sea days and have come to value the balance of port days w/ sea days and now come home much better rested.

We haven't left HAL since w/ the exception of a quick 4 day on Disney last Oct as our best friends' son was getting married onboard.

NCL Starward, May 1980. Port Antonio, Ocho Rios, Port-au-Prince. DH and I were to be on the maiden voyage of the Norway, but that cruise was canceled as the ship wasn't ready. We wound up on the Starward instead.

Hi Cruise prn,

My first cruise (BL -- before Lauren) was also on the Starward in 1978, and we visited the same ports as you, with the addition of their private island. Port Antonio was so raw and wonderful -- I remember the people looking so healthy and happy.

My first cruise with Lauren was Celebrity's Horizon in 1993, and thats where the addiction really started.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

My first cruise ship was the SS Volendam II. I was all alone and knew nobody. It was February 1981. The first few days were long as we only had about 400 passengers if I remember correctly and most were of the older age compared to myself - 29 at the time. Eventually met others my age and hung out. It was a 9 day cruise and by the 6th day we knew everybody on the ship. It was great and the extra 2 days made a difference as compared to todays 7 day intineraries. The group of us even got together after the cruise in a common city of Detroit a short time afterwards. I was hooked and even took my honeymoon on a cruise ship with my new bride. She is now hooked and we have taken a few since. Our children are growing up now and we are about to take our first cruise without them-like the empty nest syndrom we are preparing ourselves for in the future. I hope our list continues to grow of ships and cruises we will be taking. Thinking back she was a great ship for her era. I was able to take the engine room tour and the bridge tour along with the usual kitchen tour. Carvier at all evening dining room meals along with tuxes on formal nights was very common. You even got to shake the hand of the Captain and all the main crew as well. You did not have to worry about security like today but the drug scene was of age then especially "weed" off the islands. The crew was watched heavily and one was deported for dealing. Oh what memmories. Colakid

My first cruise was on the Norwegian Star in 1999.

This ship was once the Royal Viking Sea and is still around as Albatros (2).

NorwegianStar01.jpg

1342342418_b180948905.jpg?v=0

Albatros (2)

RVSea-01-Normanns.jpg

Royal Viking Sea before being stretched.

We're such newbies! Our first cruise was in August, 2001. We did Alaska, northbound from Vancouver, on the Sea Princess. It got us hooked, for sure.

About 8 months later, we sailed the Rotterdam on a fantastic 10-day Canada/New England cruise. We saw something in Holland America's product that was a cut above ... and we really liked it. Some things are the same, but sadly some things aren't what they once were.

Had always wanted to try an ocean cruise so we took our youngest daughter along on a seven day cruise out of Tampa in April, 1988. Visited Cozumel and the Caymans. Aside from daughter's bad sunburn we had a great time even with our cabin on "D" deck with bunk beds.

Although we have been on over 15 cruises since, all our referenced to that first one.

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

John:

My first cruise was on the exact same ship on the exact same itinerary. LA, Avalon, San Diego, Ensanada and then back to LA.

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary on that crusie. We got a really good deal on the cruise becasue my wife worked for the travel agency/insurance company.

I was not hooked bu that cruise. In fact I was somewhat repulsed to the thought of taking another cruise after the Viking Seranade. Maybe as a native of Southern California, I was very familiar with the ports of call. I've been to Catalina by private boat more times than I can remember and my grandparents lived in San Deigo. Ensanada held no appeal for me.

It wasn't until I was preparing for and went on the Rotterdam in July that I was truly hooked on cruising. I've got two booked and am presently talking to my parents about traveling together on HAL to Bermuda in 2011.

Rick

My first cruise was on the SS United States. I was 12.

My Dad was military and had been stationed in Germany. We left New York and the "free" movie the first night out was the Titanic (or at least the old/original version).

Then we ran into a nor'easter. I remember that the outside doors were chained shut to keep everyone off the outside decks. My sister and I enjoyed the pool - down below then - we thought it was fun swimming as the deep end became ankle depth when the water sloshed out into the changing areas. Of course, our fun was ruined when the pool was closed.

I must admit that ordering the "olive tray" is still a memory. We visited a restaurant in Nags Head a couple of years ago that has the old bar and several menus (my mom tossed them after keeping them many years) and, although I don't remember the bar, I do remember the menus. No hamburgers, but do remember that one child had one delivered by silver tray to the stateroom. I also remember my Mom tossing the unwanted desserts out the port hole (she didn't want to hurt the waiter's feelings).

We retuned of MSTS in June 1961 (just before the wall went up) and had a smooth crossing. Must admit, do seem to sleep better with a bit of tossing and turning.

It was the ship's name. The cruise line was Admiral Cruises.

Also happens to be my first, in 1989 (see sig).

Thanks bigwally, I knew someone would know. You've filled in our cruise history, finally. I asked my DH and he couldn't remember. Since then I have kept good records of all our other cruises. I think because that one was not so great I just kind of wanted to forget it.

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

1978. Princess "Island Princess" sister ship to "The LOVE boat" The cruise was to Alaska out of VanCouver and back TO VanCouver. Sail away was during our dinner; so my then 14 year old daughter and I raced up to see the sail away. We sailed under the VERY tall bridge and saw a man jump off the bridge and plummet into the water. We were horrified.

Busy years in between that cruise and the next; graduations/ work schedules/ more graduations /weddings and birth's of grandchildren.

We found Holland America shortly after I retired from public library service. Dick retired 2 years later and we were off and running -the bug bit-and never left. "Nieuw Amsterdam" the OLD "Noordam" "Rotterdam" "Zaandam" "Volendam" "Veendam" - and our favorite ship "Amsterdam" [ although we've loved them all]

We sail out again in a bit less than a week on the "Amsterdam" for Asia and the south Pacific. It feels like "coming home" ;)

Caribbean Princess, February 2007: Ft. Lauderdale, St. Maarten, St Thomas, Princess Cays, Ft. Lauderdale.

We liked it so much that we booked the same week for this year (also an RSVP charter). Then last September while we would be in Seattle there just happened to be an RSVP charter leaving for... so we jumped on! And this year on the Zuiderdam we booked for the same week next February on the Eurodam.

2303948870102790654S600x600Q85.jpg

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Mardi Gras--Carnival was testing the West Coast market in 1977, so DH and I gave it a try--inside cabin at front of ship on the bottom passenger deck--dark and small room. We liked, but didn't get hooked.

Years later (1995 I think) on the Carnival Pride we had a great veranda cabin. I remember standing on the balcony watching two whales as we sailed from Cabo San Lucas. I turned to my husband and said, " We're doing this again SOON!" The love affair with cruising began! Interesting...that moment is still so vivid.

My first was Nieuw Amsterdam in 1985 to Alaska. I went with my mother and we were upgraded from an inside to an outside with a window - not a porthole!

The cruise that hooked me on cruising was on Celebrity's Zenith in 1997. It was that ship's first time through the Panama Canal from San Juan to Los Angeles. My husband kept protesting that he had cruised the north Atlantic to England and home from Germany during and after WWII and wanted nothing more to do with ships. He was hooked on cruising after 18 nights on the Zenith. Seems there is a difference with stabilizers and not being in a bunk with soldiers above and below you. And I think the food and dining atmosphere was better.

Took this cruise as an add on to a land tour of BC Canada.

At first I wasn't too keen about getting together with the icebergs in Alaska but the trip was wonderful.

I still remember Glacier Bay on a wonderful sunny Sunday morning and barbecued salmon on the deck.

Did we get hooked - hard to say - but we have sailed on Statendam (NZ-Australia) and Rotterdam (South America and Antarctica).

Now, I much prefer to sail than fly - and most places are a looooong flight from Australia.

cheers

DSCF5759.jpg.cc3d8a0eb40d79ee6ef74797731a9e47.jpg

DSCF5760.jpg.d46f8563b5b9a705b162580b2818ac2b.jpg

First cruise was ELLINIS Chandris Lines 1968.

All-time favorite: SEA VENTURE.

Honeymoon NORDIC PRINCE in 1989.

Most luxurious: Tie FRANCE and ROYAL VIKING STAR

Hooked until NOORDAM 2006. The nickle-and-diming got to be a bit much. But admit pangs when aboard EURODAM.

Likely to do VEENDAM in 2010 to Bermuda to fulfil promise to wife for anniversary. But really miss the old days.

My first cruise was on the Disney Wonder with my father in 2004 (I was 48). Since neither of us had cruised before, we chose what was suppose to be a 4 night cruise (he chose Disney) and it went to Nassau and Castaway Cay. At Castaway Cay, we went on a snorkel excursion where my dad, as he put it---attempted drowning himself. If you've never been in a situation where you needed to be evacuated off the ship, you're missing quite an experience!

But I still fell in love with the "cruising" aspect of the trip and have been on 4 more cruises. Even with the catastrophy we went through, the employees were fantastic.

My first Cruis ship was the ENCHANTED ISLE out of New Orleans in April of 1996. It did get me hooked on cruising and I have been doing it ever since. My first HAL cruise was out of New Orleans on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam out of New Orleans in November of 1996

My first cruise was on Oceanic, which belong to Home lines. It was in the summer of 1976. It was a seven night cruise leaving from NYC to Nassau. What a great time I had. I was hooked. The food was so good on that ship. Every chance that I could get I would sail on her back then.

Maria