Your first cruise ship

On 8/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, cruising46 said:

RCCL Legend of the Seas in 1992.   14 Day Panama Canal Cruise.    Outside room with small pothole.    Had so much fun.    Took excursions, entered every event, (learnt to not do this) and throughly enjoyed it all.    Have since taken over 20 cruises on RCCL, Celebrity, Holland American, Princess, Norwegian.     Travel solo, with friends, etc.etc.  Next cruise Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and Sojourn from Athens to Dubai.    

It wouldn't have been Legend of the Seas or it wouldn't have been 1992.  Legend's inaugural season wasn't until 1995.

• 4 weeks later...

First "cruise" was probably Cunard Countess in 1989 that went to St. Maarten, St. Barthelemy, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Thomas.

I don't consider my early experiences on the Lurline, Matsonia, President Wilson and President Roosevelt because they weren't what I'd call "cruises"; they were "transport in style". We lived in Hawaii in the late 50's, early 60's and using the ocean liners was more comfortable than flying (until jets) back to California and almost a necessity in going to Asia and the South Pacific.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

I mentioned a while back that my first cruise was on the Carnival Celebration in 1992.  Well, I just sailed on her again as the Grand Celebration with Bahamas Paradise Cruise Lines.  She's been well taken care of.  Brought back a lot of memories.

Thanks for your post.  BPCL attracts me because of their use of Celebration and Costa Classica.  Grand Classica is of more interest to me than Grand Celebration for a short cruise this Winter.  I don't care where they sail; just the ship experience is enough for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't resist reading this thread but  instead I wrote down  my comment on my first cruise ship  onboard  Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas  April of 2019, I am looking forward on my second cruise on May of 2020 via Symphony of the Seas, I really enjoyed the cruise 100%.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 11:22 AM, marci22 said:

My first cruise was on NCL Westward to Bermuda in May 1991. 7 nights in an OV for $749 each.  I remember being served a drink in a promo glass that had another ship's name on it. Wondered about that.

The other ship's name was probably - Royal Viking Star, one of the exceptional Royal Viking Line ships entering service in the early 1970's. NCL bought her in the early 90's, probably just before your cruise, renaming her Westward.

Believe she is now the Black Watch of Fred Olsen

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My first cruise was circa 2008 on NCL's Majesty (the one which a few cruises later was hit by a freak wave in the Mediterranean). That first cruise exceeded all of my expectations and I became hooked! Btw, my very next cruise was on Carnival's Triumph (another great one) which a few months later caught fire off of Mexico. Don't worry though... all the rest of my cruises had no after-effects.

My first cruise was June 1994 on The Norway.

Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

It was a grand old ship. I loved it and have been hooked on cruising since.

One thing I always remember about the cruise were the daily newspaper synopsis we would receive.It was a two sided piece of paper with very brief news stories. We were on the cruise the week Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were found murdered. Each day there was a write up about - Oj Simpson's Ex Wife Found Murdered. Being out at sea and knowing nothing about was going on in "the real world"  we did not understand why this was newsworthy day after day after - sure it was sad and sure OJ was a spots figure  but everyday? Little did we know.....

1994 does not seem that long ago but the world has changed so much. Now when on a cruise you are not out of touch with the world - good and bad.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Our 1st cruise was in 2008 -- Oosterdam Alaska in September.  Swore I'd never go on another cruise --- rain, wind - lived in polar fleece & rain gear & my back went out.....fast forward to 20l0 --- did a fabulous Mexican Riviera cruise & I changed my mind...

• 1 month later...

1997 Carnival Fantasy

I absolutely fell in love with cruising and have been hooked on it ever since. I'll be taking my 6th cruise in November of this year, assuming cruises are back up and running by then.

Edited by rihannalexis

• 2 weeks later...

Our first was in 2003 on Sovereign of the Seas. It was a five day out of Canaveral to Coco Cay and Nassau. It was a group from my wife's school.

When we realized how close we were going to be to Disney World we had to break it to the kids that Mom and Dad were not only going on a cruise without them, but was going to Disney without them. If you have never done it, Disney is fun without kids. 😁

22 minutes ago, hloakes said:

Our first was in 2003 on Sovereign of the Seas. It was a five day out of Canaveral to Coco Cay and Nassau. It was a group from my wife's school.

When we realized how close we were going to be to Disney World we had to break it to the kids that Mom and Dad were not only going on a cruise without them, but was going to Disney without them. If you have never done it, Disney is fun without kids. 😁

I agree we have been twice without our kids well they are adults now but still best vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It was on Commadore cruise line, the Boheme. Not much to do, an 90% senior citizen.😮 It was back in 82 to the Caribbean. Was seasick the first night out, went to dinner tried to eat, an the waiter asked if I wanted anything else, I said no, an he laughed an knew what was wrong, got a seasick pill, an took it when I got back to the cabin, an it was lights out. After that night, didn't look back, have been on 30 + cruises an wanna go back The following year, found Rccl an have sailed almost all cruises on that line, a few on princess, but always go back to.... yup Rcl.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
15 hours ago, Guardsy said:

The Rotterdam V, 1988.  Gorgeous ship, now a floating hotel.  Had a huge suite that I was upgraded to.  Lovely time.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic new member Guardsy!

Your first cruise ship was the same as mine.  We started out "at the top".  

• Like 1