Your first cruise ship

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately, many of the experiences we had on cruise ships in the 70's & 80's really can't be committed to writing. Even some of the stories from the Bridge shouldn't be shared, as it was a different world back then.

They were great times, but unfortunately few people these days could relate to, or even accept the experience. Even landlubbers, of my age, have no concept of the experience.

Any book I wrote just couldn't reflect the actual experience.

I am not sure that I understand your thinking.  Ship Captains have written books in the past about their experiences.  For those who are interested in such stores, it's very interesting reading.

One of the first books that I read of this type was Nothing Can Go Wrong by John D. MacDonald and Captain John H. Kilpack.  It's the story of a North Cape, Russia, and Northern Europe Cruise on the S. S. Mariposa from San Francisco and returning to San Francisco.  May 2, 1977-July 13, 1977 were the dates of the cruise.  Having sailed on her sister ship, S. S. Monterey, for a Los Angeles/Honolulu/Honolulu/Los Angeles cruise in September, 1977, the book was particularly interesting to me.  

I have read books written by crew members (one particular series by a Carnival Cruise Line dining room steward) that is "fun" reading, but, it is hard to believe some of his "tales".  I think those books are a mixture of non-fiction with fiction worked into the story.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not sure that I understand your thinking.  Ship Captains have written books in the past about their experiences.  For those who are interested in such stores, it's very interesting reading.

One of the first books that I read of this type was Nothing Can Go Wrong by John D. MacDonald and Captain John H. Kilpack.  It's the story of a North Cape, Russia, and Northern Europe Cruise on the S. S. Mariposa from San Francisco and returning to San Francisco.  May 2, 1977-July 13, 1977 were the dates of the cruise.  Having sailed on her sister ship, S. S. Monterey, for a Los Angeles/Honolulu/Honolulu/Los Angeles cruise in September, 1977, the book was particularly interesting to me.  

I have read books written by crew members (one particular series by a Carnival Cruise Line dining room steward) that is "fun" reading, but, it is hard to believe some of his "tales".  I think those books are a mixture of non-fiction with fiction worked into the story.  

The biggest difference is that being US Flag ships they were mostly likely dry ships for the officers & crew.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The biggest difference is that being US Flag ships they were mostly likely dry ships for the officers & crew.

But, aren't there other non-alcohol fueled stories that could be told that might be of interest?  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

But, aren't there other non-alcohol fueled stories that could be told that might be of interest?  

Other than alcohol related stories, most of my other memories relate to passenger relations, which really don't need to be captured in writing. When I worked on the ships, I was between17 and 24. My DW was a pax on SS Oriana when I was a Cadet, but how we met isn't something I would be interested in writing about.

She actually talks more about those days than I do.

• Thanks 1

My first cruise was on the SS Florida in November 1960.  I was hooked from then on even though I got sick immediately leaving from Miami (used to be called Port Everglades).  In 1974 the family went on the first Carnival Mardi Gras to Jamaica, Haiti, etc.  Children had a great time on each island choosing a souvenir and bargaining for it.  Upon returning home, headlines in the Miami Herald warned of an anthrax scare and advised all souvenirs that had any kind of animal skin, to be taken someplace (forgot where that was) to be burned.  Naturally everything that my children purchased had skins and we had to load the car and make that trip to turn them over.  They are not too keen on buying souvenirs to this day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first cruise was in June of 1997 on Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas. We visited Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel. I remember my first port of call ever, and seeing the ocean and greenery on the mountains. Seems like just yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superrupe said:

My first cruise was in June of 1997 on Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas. We visited Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel. I remember my first port of call ever, and seeing the ocean and greenery on the mountains. Seems like just yesterday.

What a great itinerary!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was on the Carnival Triumph out of NYC in the early 2000's. While we all know the issues that plagued the Triumph in her later years, I remember it being a great time and a small enough ship that I could sit alone in any area and feel like I was the only one on the ship. I'll never forget waking up early on debarkation day coming into NY Harbor by the Statue of Liberty and all of the lights of the city.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:12 AM, bigmohes said:

RCI  Freedom of the Seas   it was her inaugural season.   We were hooked!  

Have you sailed her since? I'll be on the Freedom soon. I know its been updated. Normally I like the newer larger ships but this will be my first opportunity to sail on RCCL.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:30 PM, zippyjet said:

Have you sailed her since? I'll be on the Freedom soon. I know its been updated. Normally I like the newer larger ships but this will be my first opportunity to sail on RCCL.

I have sailed on her sister ship Liberty a couple of times , great ship, good entertainment, don’t miss the ice show it’s amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

My first cruise was at the ripe old age of 23. We had a family member that worked for HAL-Miami in 1978 and she graciously gave me and my girlfriend at the time her employee perk of a comped cruise. 

S.S. Rotterdam V ~~~ NYC----> Nassau/Bermuda 1978

The ship was totally old style cruising, formal dining, gowns and suits, midnight buffet and even skeet shooting from the deck! Our stateroom had a small bath tub and three large windows. I put an arrow to show it. Even got a call from the bridge to keep our shades closed at night, as it was spoiling the Captains night vision! 

63699a.jpg

Edited by Cloud9 Bob
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

My first ship as well in 1970 and again in 1971.  A great vessel!  Your cabin was probably a First Class cabin when she was in trans-Atlantic service.  

I had a cabin in that same location on the Statendam.  I also got a message to keep my curtains closed at night.  

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, Cloud9 Bob said:

My first cruise was at the ripe old age of 23. We had a family member that worked for HAL-Miami in 1978 and she graciously gave me and my girlfriend at the time her employee perk of a comped cruise. 

The ship was totally old style cruising, formal dining, gowns and suits, midnight buffet and even skeet shooting from the deck! Our stateroom had a small bath tub and three large windows. I put an arrow to show it. Even got a call from the bridge to keep our shades closed at night, as it was spoiling the Captains night vision! 

63699a.jpg

I was on same ship in 1978 , I was a little older 28 when cruise started 29 when it ended , normally cruised my birthday which is 6/22. Fantastic ship , had a inside cabin, traveling solo.

• Like 1

I grew up in a tiny town in northern Minnesota.  Today I consider myself a fairly sophisticated businesswoman.  Late seventies, we were on our first cruise, forget the ship, around the Caribbean.  It was a wonderful, magical experience.  But our room steward always had a scowl on his face.  I was scared to death of him!  I didn't dare ask him for anything.  His was probably the last non-smiling steward I've ever encountered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My first cruise was in 1991 on the original Carnival Mardi Gras. It is exciting, but also a bit sad to see the new Mardi Gras in the Carnival Fleet. I do want to take a cruise on it to see if they have any items or areas that commemorate the original "fun ship."

• Like 3

21 hours ago, dchurchward said:

My first cruise was in 1991 on the original Carnival Mardi Gras. It is exciting, but also a bit sad to see the new Mardi Gras in the Carnival Fleet. I do want to take a cruise on it to see if they have any items or areas that commemorate the original "fun ship."

Have not sailed on her, but, from what I have read, there is an attempt to commemorate CCL's first ship on the new Mardi Gras.  It is only right to do so.   

• Like 1

My first cruise was in April 1990 on The Sovereign of The Seas to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. It was the first cruise for both of us. We both fell in love with cruising. We went on many more cruises- by ourselves, with our children, with extended family and even friends. We are no longer together but both still enjoy cruising- just with other people! 😂

Edited by oasisorbust
  • Like 4

2015 on the Carnival Imagination. 3 couples, all our first time on a cruise. 3 day cruise out of Long Beach. Nobody new what to expect or if we would all like it. If anybody got sea sick or anything, it was just a few hours to the end of the cruise!

We all had a great time. Some of us (not me) were hating the drive back to Phoenix if you catch my meaning...

Edited by DnD CruiserZ
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I became hooked on cruising when I was 9 years old when I sailed for the 1st time on the beautiful Flagship of the Norwegian America Line MS Bergensfjord on June 4, 1965. We sailed Transatlantic from New York to Norway. The ship went to Bergen, Stavanger, Copenhagen and Oslo. We disembarked in Stavanger as we were traveling to see my grandparents for the one and only time in my life. We traveled in Tourist Class and did not have a shower. On the return trip we sailed on NAL's sister ship MS Oslofjord on July 29, 1965. The itinerary was the same in reverse. While the ship was older and a little smaller it too was beautiful. We sailed in Tourist Class and this time did not have a bathroom. On this trip we had to pick up a wounded sailor who was stabbed in a fight from a Cargo Ship and rush back to NY. As a result we arrived in NY harbor a day early and sat at anchor just north of the brand new Verrazzano Narrows Bridge. Well, my buddy and I who became friends with some of the crew and went down to the bow of the ship where we snuck off and started to climb down the anchor chain. We certainly scared the !@#$ out of the crew and they made us climb back up and then they chastised us and took us to our parents. (Yes, this is a true story)

Since then, I introduced my wife to cruising on our honeymoon and the rest is history 🙂

Mike A

• Like 4

On 6/2/2022 at 9:15 PM, jsn55 said:

I grew up in a tiny town in northern Minnesota.  Today I consider myself a fairly sophisticated businesswoman.  Late seventies, we were on our first cruise, forget the ship, around the Caribbean.  It was a wonderful, magical experience.  But our room steward always had a scowl on his face.  I was scared to death of him!  I didn't dare ask him for anything.  His was probably the last non-smiling steward I've ever encountered.

You never know what is bothering the cabin stewards.  I had a beautiful Philippine stewardess who was cleaning our bathroom, on board the Celebrity Century, when I walked in on her.  She had tears in her eyes.  I asked her what was wrong and she just shrugged. I was very impressed with the work she had done in our cabin all week so I took her by the hand and sat her down and then told her I wanted to hear about her problem.  She told me the head housekeeper was giving her a hard time.  After I asked her a few more questions she admitted the work was hard (she was in charge of cleaning both penthouse suites onboard Century) and that she was missing her son back in Manila.  After she had a good cry and a chat and she told me she felt better..  It was the second to last day and they had handed out envelopes for tips.  I gave her an envelope marked for the head housekeeper with $20.00 and told her to take this to her.  That must have smoothed things over. The next day I saw her and she smiled and told me all was well.  Sometimes people under pressure need to unload.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sometimes people under pressure need to unload.  

Your actions were very kind of you.  "Unloading" is needed by all of us at times and some are in circumstances where that is easier to do than others.  The inability to "unload", I wonder, is not a cause of those crew members who choose to take their own lives?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Your actions were very kind of you.  "Unloading" is needed by all of us at times and some are in circumstances where that is easier to do than others.  The inability to "unload", I wonder, is not a cause of those crew members who choose to take their own lives?  

Sometimes it’s just a matter of taking a time out and getting a sympathetic ear to listen 
…makes all the difference.

• Like 1