Just In, CruiseShip inroute to house people in Galveston area

Wennfred

While I feel sorry for those being displaced from their booked cruise vacation, I guess the people who lost everything in the world have to be housed somewhere, and a cruise ship is the perfect place. I wouldn't doubt it is Carnival, as I read somewhere they were canceling the next cruise or two as the Port of Galveston may not be opened for a while. I guess they have to make up the revenue they are losing somehow, as they have to refund all those cruise fares.

Anyone find any links yet?

This is the only thing I could find for now:

"The walls of the cruise ship terminal were ripped out by the hurricane and federal dive teams are arriving to survey damage to the harbor, Cahill said.

Dozens of tankers are stacking up at the entrance to the Ship Channel, awaiting a chance to get into the ports of Galveston and Houston.

City officials are talking with Carnival Cruise Lines about using a cruise ship for emergency housing."

Found it in this article towards the bottom:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6002679.html

Just in on Fox News that a Cruise Ship is coming to Galveston to house displaced people, I'm guessing Carnival again, what do you think?

Fred

Cruise ships are a perfect choice. They make there own water, power, can bed down a lot of people and feed them all. I had a feeling it was only a matter of time. Also when you have one there as a home port its a big plus

This is an example of what happened with Katrina:

(1 p.m.) -- At least one of Carnival's ships will house evacuees from Hurricane Katrina. Carnival's Holiday, currently docked in Mobile, has become home to some 150 folks who'd been staying in shelters in the Pascagoula, Mississippi area.

You may recall that just after the devastation from Katrina had become apparent, Carnival chartered three ships -- Sensation, Ecstasy and Holiday -- to the Federal Emergency Management Authority (FEMA) to house people who had lost their homes. The first two ships were immediately sent to Galveston, a major port for Houston, where quite a few evacuees had been taken upon rescue from New Orleans.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2008 – 6:00 PM

We are closely monitoring the situation in Galveston and the impact from Hurricane Ike. We do not currently have a lot of information about the status of the shipping channel, cruise terminal or the port access infrastructure. Local communication has been very challenging and there are restrictions against incoming traffic into the Galveston area.

We do not expect the Port of Galveston to be open on Monday and there is tremendous uncertainty about when the port will be available to us next week. Due to this situation, we will now cancel the following cruises:

Carnival Conquest September 14, 2008 departure that was re-scheduled to a 6 day cruise departing on Monday, September 15.

Carnival Ecstasy September 15, 2008 departure

Guests will receive a full refund of cruise fare and we will process these refunds within three weeks.

• Carnival Conquest September 7, 2008 Departure

The Carnival Conquest cruise that departed on September 7 will return to New Orleans on Monday, September 15. Guests will be able to debark on Monday or Tuesday. Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.

• Carnival Ecstasy September 11, 2008 Departure

The Carnival Ecstasy cruise that departed on September 11, 2008 will return to New Orleans on Tuesday, September 16 (2:00 PM arrival). Guests will be able to debark on Tuesday or Wednesday. Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.

We sincerely apologize to our guests that are impacted by these cancelled or modified cruises. Most importantly, we hope that all of those that reside in the areas impacted by Hurricane Ike were able to remain safe. We also wish a speedy recovery to those that may have sustained damage homes or businesses.

Cruise ships are a perfect choice. They make there own water, power, can bed down a lot of people and feed them all. I had a feeling it was only a matter of time. Also when you have one there as a home port its a big plus

I'm not so sure about the water thing. They do make their own water while at sea, but I've talked to crew on board other ships who have said that they don't touch the stuff in port. It's way too polluted. It would probably foul up their distilling equipment.

Theron

I would say not the Holiday as she is not big enough plus it is over a year before she has to depart. This way Carnival can still sail full out of Mobile using the Holiday. It will also be able to sail 4/5 day cruises on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. It can also resume 7 day sailings on the Conquest out of New Orleans.

This would make the Ecstasy the only ship out of place.

Dave

As they didn't house the displaced last time, I'd bet they are not going to do it this time.

Essential city, county and state workers yes, Electric company line workers coming in from all over the country yes, victims, no way.

Hugh in Dallas

Here in NJ we send crews from the power company to Galveston. They left Sunday with there bucket trucks for a long drive.

As they didn't house the displaced last time, I'd bet they are not going to do it this time.

Essential city, county and state workers yes, Electric company line workers coming in from all over the country yes, victims, no way.

Hugh in Dallas

Actually they did house the refugees on the Holiday first in Mobile and then when they moved the ship to Pascagoula.

The Sensation and Ecstasy was sent to Galveston BUT the folks in Houston refused to get on the ships. So they were then sent to New Orleans to house the police, EMTs and firefighters.

Dave

I would say not the Holiday as she is not big enough plus it is over a year before she has to depart. This way Carnival can still sail full out of Mobile using the Holiday. It will also be able to sail 4/5 day cruises on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. It can also resume 7 day sailings on the Conquest out of New Orleans.

This would make the Ecstasy the only ship out of place.

Dave

That's what I was thinking also.

But I had to agree with Fred-just to make him feel better. LOL

As a female I reserve the right to change my mind-cause I can!

If it is already in route, doubt it's the Holiday. She left Mobile on the 13th and not due back until the 18th.

That is only 3 days from now.

Galveston will need at least that to prepare the dock and clear the Channel of debris.

It would be interesting to see the Holiday go to Galveston on Relief work and the Ecstasy to take the Holiday's place in Mobile.....

Houston Chronicle confirms that it is a Carnival ship, but doesn't specify name or when it will start. Interesting note was that it says it is for "displaced residents."

The walls of the cruise ship terminal were ripped out by the hurricane and federal dive teams are arriving to survey damage to the harbor, Cahill said.

Dozens of tankers are stacking up at the entrance to the Ship Channel, awaiting a chance to get into the ports of Galveston and Houston.

Thomas said the city secured a Carnival Cruise Lines ship to house displaced residents, but officials don't know when it will arrive because Galveston's harbor has to be cleared of debris.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6002679.html

>>Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.<<

As they are letting all passengers wishing to stay on Conquest and taking it back to Galvenston, that would be the ship. They will already have Galvenston residents on it. Would that mean the gov is picking up the bill.

Archived