Just In, CruiseShip inroute to house people in Galveston area

Wennfred

i would think that if peopl are housed on the ship, be they rescue/cleanup/repair people or evacuees, the Fed Govt is gonna pay Carnival some major bucks and the staff will be compensated appropriately.....i don't think that it would be up to people staying on the ship to fork out gratuities.....(however, if it were me, and i HAD some money, i would most likely give some cash to the people with whom i had the most contact.)

Except you left off the bookings that are currently on the Holiday before the Fantasy comes out of drydock. I leave Monday on the Holiday.

Dave

Hey...I have already called my PVP and told him if the Conquest does a 3 or 4 day cruise to nowhere Thursday...to give me a call.

If they get back by Sunday....you can jump on that one too!!!

Aren't rumors wonderful? Thus far, this one has afforded you all four pages of speculation. Fact: Ecstacy was docking today in NOLA. Passengers could stay aboard overnight or until she returns to G. They don't know when she can return to G. So, she is NOT on her way there. Conquest is not due into NOLA until Tuesday, and same scenario apploies..So SHE is NOT on her way to G. Holiday is at sea on a cruise, so SHE is not on the way to G. Carnival spokespersons are not aware of any negotiations to send a ship for relief (Spokespersons are not PVPs). Fact: The next cruise for both Conquest and Ecstasy have been been cancelled. End of facts. EM

Aren't rumors wonderful? Thus far, this one has afforded you all four pages of speculation. Fact: Ecstacy was docking today in NOLA. Passengers could stay aboard overnight or until she returns to G. They don't know when she can return to G. So, she is NOT on her way there. Conquest is not due into NOLA until Tuesday, and same scenario apploies..So SHE is NOT on her way to G. Holiday is at sea on a cruise, so SHE is not on the way to G. Carnival spokespersons are not aware of any negotiations to send a ship for relief (Spokespersons are not PVPs). Fact: The next cruise for both Conquest and Ecstasy have been been cancelled. End of facts. EM

You might want to re-check your Facts!

Cheers!

Let me just throw this out there FWIW. The port of Galveston is in disarray as is the entire area. Carnival is notoriously slow and deliberate in making major moves. They were in coming back to NOLA after Katrina. They really like to test the waters before they commit. I think it will be the same way with the Texas market. All that being said, here goes. Conquest will remain in NOLA indefinitely. Holiday goes to Texas to be a hotel. Ecstasy remains in NOLA indefinitely. Fantasy comes out of drydock and takes over for Holiday getting an early jump on cruising from Mobile. When Holiday gets done with the hotel duty it goes in for it's 60-90 refurb and goes to Spain early. When Galveston gets back up to speed probably in a year, Ecstasy returns but Conquest does not. Triumph still goes to NOLA in 2009 but only doing 4/5 day cruises.

I like your proposed scenario except for the Fantasy going to Mobile after drydock. I booked the November 1st sailing of the Fantasy because the evolutions of fun upgrade would be completed by then and I could experience the changes. I've been on the Fantasy and her sister ships many times before so I'm really not interested in cruising on another Fantasy-class ship that has not been upgraded yet. I would be disappointed if she's replaced by the Ecstasy since that ship supposedly is not going into drydock until early next year.

My bet is the Splendor...:D

Seriously though, if you think about it the Conquest may make mode sense. It is alrady scheduled for a drydock in January (?) so they can use that ship and then send it for the drydock and bring it out good as new.

I just pray that Galveston can recover (no only because I cruise from there but because it is a great city to visit and have fun at and I am sure that those that live and work there want it to recover and rebuild.)

Maybe this is the time for the Houston Cruise Ship Terminal to open up?

As much as I am thrilled to see Carnival stepping up to the plate to provide some help (even if they will probably be compensated somewhat) I really hope it's not the Conquest----I have two couples booked on that cruise on October 5, and I'm really hoping they will be sailing from Houston if not Galveston by then (and I really don't see that happening).

Update: Carnival Not Chartering Ship to Galveston Update: A Carnival Cruise Lines spokeswoman tells us today that television and newspaper reports of talks to charter one of its ships in the wake of Hurricane Ike are inaccurate. The cruise line has received no contact from anyone at FEMA asking to charter a cruise ship and no such discussions have occurred regarding Carnival and the port of Galveston.

Carnival Cruise Lines’ Two Galveston-Based Ships To Operate From Port Of Houston

September 16, 2008 at 12:51 pm | In Blogroll, Press Room, news |

Tags: Carnival Conquest, carnival cruise lines, Carnival Ecstasy

conquestexterior3.jpg?w=128&h=85 ecstasyseahoriz2.jpg?w=128&h=85

Carnival Conquest, Carnival Ecstasy to Arrive at Houston’s Bayport Terminal Later This Week

As a result of the closure of the Port of Galveston due to damage from Hurricane Ike, Carnival Cruise Lines’ two Galveston-based ships, Carnival Conquest and Carnival Ecstasy, are scheduled to operate their regular cruise programs from the Port of Houston’s Bayport Cruise Terminal effective with this weekend’s departures.

The 2,052-passenger Carnival Ecstasy will resume its four- and five-day Mexico schedule from the Port of Houston starting with a five-day cruise departing Saturday, Sept. 20. Beginning with the departure of Sunday, Sept. 21, the 2,974-passenger Carnival Conquest will depart Houston on seven-day cruises to the western Caribbean.

Both vessels are currently docked in New Orleans where they were deployed following the closure of the Port of Galveston. Carnival Conquest will arrive at the Port of Houston on Thursday, Sept. 18, and Carnival Ecstasy on Friday, Sept. 19, to disembark those guests who opted to remain aboard the vessels following their previous voyages.

“We are pleased to continue our Texas operations from the Port of Houston, which will be a convenient option for guests who have already made travel arrangements for previously scheduled Galveston departures,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and CEO. “We are especially grateful to the Port of Houston for their responsiveness. Many of their personnel involved in making this happen were dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Ike but set that aside to work with us on very short notice to assure that these vessels would continue to have a Texas homeport and with minimal disruption to our guests,” he added.

Cahill indicated that the company plans to return to Galveston as soon as the necessary repairs to the port facilities are completed. “The Port of Galveston has been a valued and important partner since we launched year-round cruising from there in 2000. We look forward to bringing both the Carnival Conquest and Carnival Ecstasy back to the city as quickly as we can. We have enjoyed an outstanding relationship with Galveston over the years and our thoughts and prayers are with the people of this wonderful city during this difficult time,” he said.

Carnival’s two Houston-based ships will operate the same itineraries as they did from Galveston. Carnival Conquest will sail seven-day western Caribbean voyages departing Sundays to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Carnival Ecstasy will depart Thursdays on four-day cruises to Cozumel, and on Mondays and Saturdays on five-day voyages to Cozumel and Progreso.

The Port of Houston’s newly opened Bayport Terminal is an $81 million state-of-the-art facility with 96,000 square feet of space. It is conveniently accessed from both of the city’s airports, and a variety of fine restaurants and shops are located nearby. The Carnival Conquest and Carnival Ecstasy will be the first cruise ships to utilize the new facility.

City officials in Galveston are trying to have a cruise ship come to house emergency workers and key city staff, not specifically a Carnival cruise ship.

Health conditions in Galveston are rapidly going bad. Key people need a clean, safe place to sleep and have meals.

Currently there is no running water at all in Galveston. No electric. No gas. No nothing but bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI. The outskirts of Houston are starting to get power. My dad just got a call for FEMA. He was on the list for a hotel room so that they could start the clean up now that they are letting west end residents have day acess to their houses. Hotels in the area are getting power and he has a room at the Red Roof Inn on the NW Loop. (about 60 miles from the home, this was the closest one). Now that the outskirts are getting back up it should be getting closer for the island itself. Behind the seawall there is intermitent power in key areas, but at least the big work forces are getting closer.

Archived