Caribbean Princess - have cruises on 5th, 12th & 19th April been cancelled??

LiznMartin

Strike that comment, sorry!

Government $$$ :confused:

conference did not bring out the best in me in that last post I just edited. Let's hope it's something or someone else that chartered the ship, or maybe not OUR government.

There was nothing wrong with what you said.

Actually, it got me thinking..:rolleyes:..:cool:

7. CARRIER'S RIGHT TO CANCEL, CHANGE TIME OF SAILING OR PORTS OF EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION OR SHORTEN CRUISE; SUBSTITUTION.

Carrier may, at any time, without notice or liability for refund, payment or compensation except as provided herein, cancel the Cruise, change the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, shorten the Cruise or substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation or lodging. Passenger shall have no claim against Carrier, and Carrier shall not be liable (whether for damages or a refund, payment or compensation) for hotel or meal charges, travel expenses or other loss, delay, inconvenience, disappointment or expense whatsoever in such circumstances, except as follows:

(a) If Carrier cancels the Cruise before it has started, it will refund the Cruise Fare (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).

(b) If the sailing is delayed and You are not accommodated on board the ship, Carrier may arrange accommodations and food at no additional expenses to You.

© If the scheduled port of embarkation or disembarkation as specified in the passage ticket is changed, Carrier will arrange transportation to it from the originally scheduled port.

(d) If the Cruise is terminated or ends early Carrier, at its option, may issue a cruise credit, make a proportionate refund of Your Cruise Fare, transfer You to another ship or transport You to the scheduled final port. If the performance of the Cruise is hindered or prevented by any cause or circumstance whatsoever, including but not limited to a good faith belief by the Carrier or the ship's Captain that the Cruise or any portion thereof may endanger the vessel or expose any person or property to loss, damage or delay, the Cruise may be terminated and You may be landed with no further liability of the Carrier whatsoever.

The charter begins on the 12th, therefore the 14 day voyage has been cancelled on the 5th but not the 7 day version(ending the 12th). Because there are both 7 and 14 day versions available, that is why it seems like so many cruises, when in fact the charter appears to be from the 12th through the 26th(14 days total)

Cancelled: 14 day on april 5th, 7 day and 14 day on the 12th, 7 day and 14 day on the 19th. It seems like a longer time frame than it actually is.

The charter begins on the 12th, therefore the 14 day voyage has been cancelled on the 5th but not the 7 day version(ending the 12th). Because there are both 7 and 14 day versions available, that is why it seems like so many cruises, when in fact the charter appears to be from the 12th through the 26th(14 days total)

Cancelled: 14 day on april 5th, 7 day and 14 day on the 12th, 7 day and 14 day on the 19th. It seems like a longer time frame than it actually is.

So, they have actually only cancelled the cruises for a two week period then? But since they could be booked as 7 day cruises or 14 day cruises, it sounded more like 4 or 5 cancellations! That makes sense.

I tried to post this info yesterday but the boards were playing up again (at our end at least!). After my original question, I'd emailed my TA who contacted Princess Tuesday morning - they told her the cruise WASN'T cancelled. However, when I rang Princess direct several hours later, I was told that it WAS cancelled!:( :( The person who's "dealing" with this had finished work for the day and is going to get back to me today (probably with a load of cr***y excuses!).

We are VERY disappoined (okay... completely gutted!). We can only cruise during the school holidays and so are restricted to when we can go. There was only one other cruise (over 7 days as we think it's too far for us to fly for less than 10 days) and I'm sure that will be booked by now - certainly the J and K category cabins which is what we usually book. So that leaves us with no cruise and no chance of a replacement.

I hope those of you who've paid for flights and hotels manage to get reimbursed (by Princess or maybe Uncle Sam :rolleyes: ).

I'm intrigued at the thought of the US government chartering the ship???? I'll let you know what the "party line" is here in the UK! Maybe Gordon Brown et al are also going...;)

Something is off here. The thought of the US govt chartering an entire cruise ship, especially in the middle of a presidential election campaign and economic downturn, seems strange. I know the sailing isnt now but the fodder of it all is now. Too much political hay to be made for this context to be accurate 2 months before an election. Now, 3000 members of an employees union (govt or otherwise) doing this I would possibly understand, but not the govt itself.

"Government" is a vague term and could mean alot of different things. I am suprised that the information is as specific as it is, frankly. I mean seriously, it could be the U.S. postal service, for all we know.

Not withstanding the fact that it could have been a flipant answer by the CSR.:eek:

If it is government related, I am thinking it might be more of a Homeland Security thing. Perhaps they are going to use the CB for some training. I know that at one time the cruise ships and the ports were an area of concern. It is very interesting, though.

Bottom Line:

Trip Insurance

Trip Insurance

Trip Insurance

The US Federal Government has in the past chartered cruise ships to provide emergency housing for victims of hurricanes, and other natural disasters..

They have also chartered ships for "Rest and Recuperation" for combat troops.

Given the destruction at Galveston, I would not be surprised if the government again is chartering a ship or two.

To all who had their April 5-12-19 cruises cancelled, I really applaud your control, because if it was me, I'd really be angry. Most of you seem to be taking it in your stride, and finding other cruises instead. I think that's so great! I guess that in terms of cruising, I've had my head in the sand, because I had no idea a cruise line could cancel cruises for a reason like this - a charter! When you book and deposit, aren't you entering into a contract with the cruiseline? The cruise lines seem to have all the rights, and we passengers don't seem to have many. When I think of all that goes into planning a vacation - time off from work, possibly child care, air tickets, pre/post cruise hotels, etc., to think that they can just cancel it kind of boggles my mind. Do all cruise lines do this, and does it happen very often? I hope all of you who lost your cruises will find some really great other trips to take. Good luck!

To all who had their April 5-12-19 cruises cancelled, I really applaud your control, because if it was me, I'd really be angry. Most of you seem to be taking it in your stride, and finding other cruises instead. I think that's so great! I guess that in terms of cruising, I've had my head in the sand, because I had no idea a cruise line could cancel cruises for a reason like this - a charter! When you book and deposit, aren't you entering into a contract with the cruiseline? The cruise lines seem to have all the rights, and we passengers don't seem to have many. When I think of all that goes into planning a vacation - time off from work, possibly child care, air tickets, pre/post cruise hotels, etc., to think that they can just cancel it kind of boggles my mind. Do all cruise lines do this, and does it happen very often? I hope all of you who lost your cruises will find some really great other trips to take. Good luck!

Yes all cruiselines do it. I have read on these forums tht it has been done on Princess, HAL, royal Caribbean, etc.

Marilyn

Marilyn

I called Princess today about the the April 12th Caribbean Princess cruise and was told it was cancelled. According to Princess Customer Service. the government is chartering the ship. My group booked last February and had purchased airfare, which has gone up considerabley since. Princess offered alternative times that will not work for us. We are going to try to book with another line,

I just hope the cruise was canceled for a legitimate reason and not for the Government to take an all expense paid vacation using our hard earned money. :rolleyes:

:confused:

Just wondered if any one contacted their local newspaper or TV - asking if they could investigate this. I'm sure the news media would love to get their hands on a story like this....

For all the passengers whose cruise was canceled,

you have a legitimate reason to gripe.

My hats off to you for those who are handling this so well.

This whole thing makes me wonder about booking a cruise?

Could it happen to me? :eek:

Could it happen to you?

But just to add a bit to Marilyn's comment, NO, it does not happen very often, especially for a charter.

Toto I am glad you added on to my thought. No it doesn't happen too often but it does happen and it really is a shame that people hae bought airfare, hotels, etc. and then the cruiseline cancels the cruise.

Marilyn

When you book and deposit, aren't you entering into a contract with the cruiseline? The cruise lines seem to have all the rights, and we passengers don't seem to have many.

You are entering a contract with the cruiseline. One drawn up by theirattorneys to protect them. Not many people seem to read it.

And, yes, they all do it.

It appears the cruise lines may be going the way of the airlines--very little regard for their passengers. They can do whatever they want with a schedule but don't you dare try to change your schedule without incurring severe monetary penalties. That is if you are allowed to change it period.

Our Island Princess cruise in December(final payment due this week) just cancelled a port of call--no explanation. It is one of the ports that most reviews indicate is a lovely place. As for the airline, Delta, cancelled our return flight and booked us a day earlier on a flight that is now overbooked by 80 people. Won't be a pretty sight at the airport.

So sorry for those that are affected by this CB cxl. Strange circumstances to say the least. Of course Princess may not be able to say NO to the government. Scary.

Archived