Carnival Corporation Profit

paul929207

Don't overlook the fact that Carnival has borrowed and invested TRILLIONS in order to make those few BILLIONS. Not a very good return on investment - espacially during these difficult times we live in.

It only takes one terrorist exocet missile fired at a cruise ship - and Carnival is bankrupt.

Bean counters don't like that either.

Don't overlook the fact that Carnival has borrowed and invested TRILLIONS in order to make those few BILLIONS. Not a very good return on investment - espacially during these difficult times we live in.

It only takes one terrorist exocet missile fired at a cruise ship - and Carnival is bankrupt.

Bean counters don't like that either.

What an odd thing to say.................:eek:

TRILLIONS...puhleese, there's hyperbole, and then there's lunacy.

Things like that really make a person question another person's credibility, especially for someone who has worked on ships so long. Maybe he doesn't know how many zero's are in a trillion. I doubt the entire company has come close to even half a trillion in total revenue in it's entire history combined.

It certainly was....some people here need to chill out I guess. Maybe go on a cruise or something...:rolleyes:

My deepest apology for not recognizing the wit.....sometimes, I'm simply dense..........:o

That cruise thingie you mentioned sounds simply fine.....

:D

Have you checked the price of a cruise ship lately? Carnival Corp owns nearly 100 of them.

Have you checked the selling price of a major cruise line lately? Carnival purchased several, and rebuilt them.

Build your own money-losing airline from scratch?

Ever thought about launching 24 geo-synchronous satellites into space and maintaining them - and a ground station - for company communications?

How about going to Grand Turk, paving all their roads, building a power system for the country, building a water system for the country, and then investing $50 million to build a pier?

Go to Costa Maya and do the same thing - twice?

Finance a new pier for San Diego because the city can't/won't afford it?

It all adds up pretty quickly.

Carnival paid for GPS? I thought WE THE PEOPLE did that with our patriotically-induced contributions to the federal government (aka taxes).

Carnival owns airlines? Bad investment there, I might have to reconsider my position in CCL.

I know I can get a pretty darned nice ship for less than $1 billion. Trouble is, I've got no place to park one. The Homeowners' Association gets fussy about boats being visible from the street (bunch of prigs). I guess I could get a whole brand new fleet the size of Carnival's for about 75-100 B's. I bet I could get a volume discount to build them, too.

And so on.

Carnival does okay. I've seen Arison's yacht and met the man. Cruise ships have been VERY good to Mr. Arison. You'd think with all that money to throw around, I could at least get room service.

Carnival Corp is a publicly traded company.

If Carnival corp really is making money hand over fist and basically has a license to print money, the American public should be breaking down the doors of Carnival Headquarters, trying to get their hands on Carnival Stock.

Are American investors so dumb they have not picked up on this sure-fire bonanza?

Strangely, Carnival Stock does not perform very well and has a record of rather poor, but consistent, dividends. Perhaps Wall Street knows more than we financial geniuses posting on this board???

Susquehanna's Cruise Survey for July Indicates a Recovery in Booking Volumes (CCL, RCL)

2:09 PM EDT August 26, 2008

Susquehanna is out with a research note considering the results of its SIG Cruise Survey for the month of July. According to the survey, booking volumes during the month saw a recovery from near-term lows. The survey also indicated "still-positive pricing trends."

The firm points out that while cruise yields are proving to be surprisingly resilient in the extremely depressed economic environment, it is still concerned with oil prices affecting cruiselines' profitability. Considering the recent decline in oil prices, Susquehanna sees an immediate relief at the pump for cruiseliners as well as an overall upturn in consumer sentiment as gas falls.

Susquehanna currently has Positive ratings on cruiselines Carnival (NYSE: CCL) and Royal Caribbean Cruises (NYSE: RCL), and notes that July's survey had no impact on the firm's current forecasts on each company.

This is from the CCL page on Yahoo Finance http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CCL The survey was also done before the most recent drop in oil prices.

This one today seems bullish on the CCL stock http://biz.yahoo.com/minyanville/080919/20080919carnival_id.html?.v=1

Carnival Corp is a publicly traded company.

If Carnival corp really is making money hand over fist and basically has a license to print money, the American public should be breaking down the doors of Carnival Headquarters, trying to get their hands on Carnival Stock.

Are American investors so dumb they have not picked up on this sure-fire bonanza?

Strangely, Carnival Stock does not perform very well and has a record of rather poor, but consistent, dividends. Perhaps Wall Street knows more than we financial geniuses posting on this board???

4% - 5% is 'Poor'??? I bought in at approx. $35........(Yeah, I know - I should have done it years ago @ $18 !!) My 'investment' is paying 4% - 5% and an added $100 OBC every time I cruise........I'd call that "rich' vs. 'poor'! :rolleyes:

4% - 5% is 'Poor'??? I bought in at approx. $35........(Yeah, I know - I should have done it years ago @ $18 !!) My 'investment' is paying 4% - 5% and an added $100 OBC every time I cruise........I'd call that "rich' vs. 'poor'! :rolleyes:

It's close to $40 now. I don't know when you bought the stock. But you're doing better than my 401(k) :mad:

Carnival Corp has 787 Mil shares of stock outstanding at a total current value of just over 31 Bil. Their last 12 month sales were 14.5 Bil with an income of 2.3 Bil. Here is a link to their latest quarterly report - have not seen any Trillions.

http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/14/140/140690/items/304803/image.pdf

Ron

It's close to $40 now. I don't know when you bought the stock. But you're doing better than my 401(k) :mad:

I bought a little while before our last Cruise (Aug. 3.)

(Actually my buy price was $37 + I just looked it up! :rolleyes: )

Of course buying 100 shares and getting $100 immediately brought my ''cost' down 1 point ;)

(I wanted the $100 OBC!)

I watched it go down and 'kicked' myself for not waiting closer to sailing.

Lately I'm in the black........and with the dividend % I think it's pretty good! :D

It's doing % better than our total Portfolio! LOL!

Have you checked the price of a cruise ship lately? Carnival Corp owns nearly 100 of them.

Have you checked the selling price of a major cruise line lately? Carnival purchased several, and rebuilt them.

Build your own money-losing airline from scratch?

Ever thought about launching 24 geo-synchronous satellites into space and maintaining them - and a ground station - for company communications?

How about going to Grand Turk, paving all their roads, building a power system for the country, building a water system for the country, and then investing $50 million to build a pier?

Go to Costa Maya and do the same thing - twice?

Finance a new pier for San Diego because the city can't/won't afford it?

It all adds up pretty quickly.

Carnival's most expensive ship, Queen Mary 2, was around $750million. The rest were all several hundred million less than that, and most of the old ones were less than a hundred million each.

Even if Carnival did launch 24 communications satellites, at, say a grossly inflated even for the government price of a billion each, that's only $24 billion.

The port infrastructure you mention really seems like chump change when you are talking the billions in ships and satellites LOL.

You do know that a trillion is a thousand billion, right? According to coiran's post above, last year your company's revenue was $14.5 billion. Not having the rest of your financials in front of me, but knowing that Carnival has done a good job of growing each year, I'm going to guess that's a high mark. It would take another almost 70 years at that rate to have gross revenues of a trillion dollars. The company has been around for 36 years and had average revenues a lot less than that over that time.

Archived