Fascination Review - 9/12 Sailing

Hawaii697

I'm back from my sailing on the Fascination. This was a surprise cruise for my 10 year old daughter and she was definitely surprised. She thought we were going to Miami Beach for the weekend. I chose this cruise because my daughter school was closed for the fair (our county schools close for the fair in Sept), the itinerary, my daughter has always wanted to see the hotel Atlantis thanks to Mary Kate & Ashley and the price could not be beat for a triple cabin.

We flew into Miami from DC's National Airport (6:00 am). It was sweet not to have to check out luggage. Nice flight, we arrived about 10 minutes early.

I reserved a rental (Alamo) for a couple of hours. It was worth the cost of the rental (basically $5.00 more than a cab from airport to pier). I needed to meet up with my brother for breakfast (another surprise for my daughter) and do some last minute shopping in the Miami area. I go to pick up my compact car only to find out they had no compacts or midsize cars. The allowed me to pick out a van for the same price as the compact.

My brother who is working on a project in the Miami area met us for breakfast at the iHop near the airport. My daughter was very happy to see her favorite uncle. After breakfast, we headed over to the Walgreens on South Beach. You can't miss it. It’s to your left when you cross the MacArthur Causeway, past the Alton Road exit. I went to this particular Walgreens because I knew we would have to pass the ships docked at the pier and this would be DD first time seeing them up close. Of course, I got the reaction I expected. Wow mom, look at the ships . . . she knows I cruise every other year so she asked if I had been on any of the ship. I told her yes. The Fascination a long time ago with her brother (he's now 26). She then asks when does she get to go on a cruise. I told her. . . oh one of these days! So we get to Walgreens. I knew my daughter would need water/beach shoes for our visit to the Atlantis (most definitely need some type of shoe there). I was able to purchase her water/beach shoes for $2.49. They were having a 75% off sale on all flip-flops and water shoes.

After the Walgreens, we head over to the Dolphin Outlet Mall. I need to check out three stores. Coach Outlet, Guess Outlet and Ross Outlet. I get to Coach with a particular purse in mind. What I didn't expect to find was the Coach Travel Duffle bag I've wanted for the past two year. The bag is originally $400+, but that was definitely over my budget. However, at 40% and a gift card from an attorney I worked with, it made it truly affordable. So I ended up with two great purchases that day and decided I didn't need to go to Guess or Ross . . .

I drop off my rental around 1:00 pm. I had just missed the cruise shuttle and was told we had to wait about 45 minutes. No problem. One of the shuttle drivers saw us sitting there for about 10 minutes and said he'd be happy to take us over there. There were enough airport shuttles running. I was so grateful, I gave him a nice tip. It was so funny though when we got pier. One of the contractors was helping the shuttle driver with our bags. I had to yell out, we're carrying our luggage on board. The porter couldn't drop my bag quick enough and move on to the next person.

My daughter was truly surprise when she noticed we were now a lot closer to the ship. I finally told her, guess what, this is going to be your home for the next 3-days. She was one happy little girl. I don't know if I mentioned earlier, I brought one of her buddies with her. He knew about the trip but didn't tell her. (hard to believe a 10 year old boy keeping a secret).

Embarkation was a breeze. We immediately go to our rooms, drop our bags and head to the Lido deck for lunch. The kids where just so excited. They didn't know what to do first. Of course, the pool won out (after the muster drill).

The Fascination is in good condition. They are constantly cleaning and were painting when we arrived at the Miami Port. They have a waterslide, however, it's not new, but still lots of fun. The muster drill was quick. Luckily we had ours indoors across from Bogart’s Cafe. The kids were very patient and of course full of questions regarding, what happens if we sink! The kids were also given wrist bands to be wore throughout the entire cruise because they were under 12 (I think it was 12 or 16).

The sailway party was fun!

We had dinner later that evening on the Lido deck. I did not eat in the dining room during this cruise. Actually I thought this was the best part for me. Not rushing to eat at a certain time. The kids were happy eating pizza and other goodies during the cruise. The ice cream was a big hit with them as well.

Next morning, my daughter and I are the early risers, her buddy was the late sleeper. We had not arrived in the Bahamas as of yet. I had coffee and she had hot chocolate. We roamed the ship. I took her to the front of the ship and we discover the miniature golf area. My daughter was just full of questions and very excited. She wanted to know where we were going after we docked. Seeing the Atlantis was another surprise for her. I told her some private island of Carnival's. After a while, we went back to the room to check on her buddy and he was just waking up. We headed back to the Lido for breakfast and then to the room to change into our swimwear. While I was in the bathroom, DD suddenly yells, Mom, look . . . (I knew what she was looking at)! She said there's the hotel Mary Kate & Ashley made their movie. I was like yep, this is your final surprise.

We made our way over to the Comfort Inn Suites (taxi was $4.00 pp) to check in. The total cost of the hotel including all taxes and surcharges was $170.00. We spent the entire day at Atlantis using their water rides, pools, etc. Some of the water rides were closed for renovation (the claimed this is their slow season), but the major one were opened. The kids could not get over the water at the beach (we live near VA Beach and Ocean City, need I say more). We only had lunch at the hotel, which totaled $42.00 for the 3 of use. The kids had hot dogs and french fries with Gatorade and I had conch fritters and a beer. The portions were decent though!

Back to the ship, the kids immediately head for the pool. I swear those two are part fish . . .

Sunday, day at sea was spent on the Lido deck. One thing I must comment on, there were alot of bachelor parties on board. Some of the young men acted completely out of control. I feel like the kids on this cruise acted much better than some of the adults. My daughter witness and brief scuffle on the higher deck (lido area) between and man and a woman and then I witness two drunken fools trying to remove each other's swim suits. One feel and damn near busted his head. No blood but I know he saw stars. I knew at this time (this was around 5:30) it was time to get the kids out of the pool.

That night I tried my hand at roulette. It was interesting and I’m sure once I get the hang of it, I’ll be able to win a few bucks. The kids hung out in the arcade during the evenings. On the last night I asked if they wanted to see the Mambo show, which they both thought was pretty good. The also watched the “Guest” show too. There was some very good talent on our cruise.

All in all, this was a great cruise. Our room steward Hernado was the best. He had towel animals in the room every night and one night he left cookies for the kids. He received more than the required tip.

I would love to do this every year with my daughter, knowing she has a three day weekend in September until she graduate high school (the school closes for the County Fair).

Disembarkation, I was a bit nervous. This was my 9th cruise and I generally book flights after 1:00 and I usually have no problems getting off the ship. However, prior to booking the cruise I ask Carnival was is the earliest I good book a flight home and they said 12:00 pm. My flight was at 12:20 and of all cruises, customs was backed up pretty bad. I have no idea why, but all I know is I raced out of the port area at 10:50 and was at MIA by 11:10 with immediate check in curbside. I had to check on bag going home because I did by three bottle of liquor to take home.

For those of you looking for a nice little weekend getaway . . . I highly recommend the Carnival Fascination!

:cool:

Archived