Port of Galveston back open by Oct 1st.

adamscot

There were a few streetlights working (directing traffic) on Friday, with more up and coming.

More and more places are getting power (the newspaper said 50+%). My apartment had electricity last Wednesday and it's 2 blocks from the seawall.

VOS is still planning on an on-time arrival in Galveston in December and the city will do everything in it's power to keep that revenue and to bring back Carnival ASAP.

I'm going back tomorrow to sign my lease on my place while my apartment is being renovated. I'll be sure to get some more pictures.

Thank you for posting the true and actual facts of things happening in Galveston! :)

I hope to meet you at the terminal in December!

There were a few streetlights working (directing traffic) on Friday, with more up and coming.

More and more places are getting power (the newspaper said 50+%). My apartment had electricity last Wednesday and it's 2 blocks from the seawall.

VOS is still planning on an on-time arrival in Galveston in December and the city will do everything in it's power to keep that revenue and to bring back Carnival ASAP.

I'm going back tomorrow to sign my lease on my place while my apartment is being renovated. I'll be sure to get some more pictures.

Thank you for keeping everyone updated on Galveston. With all that is going on in your own life because of Ike, it is beyond generous of you to assure us that wonderful Galveston is coming back. I hope to meet you when we board the VOS on December 28th. Your posts reinforce the Texas "can-do" spirit!

The cruise ship you referred to is an old gambling ship, the Imperial something. It is not a Carnival vessel. It a piece of crap being used for workers. The parking lots still have close to 200 cars that have not been claimed or towed all totaled, I counted them today. The shuttle buses were all flooded and no chance they will ever run again. The strand is now full of sheetrock and trash as businesses try to rebuild. Not one traffic light in Galveston works. No power, no anything, the last place any cruiser would want to be for many months to come. I stand by my projection, Jan 1, 2009 if they are lucky.

I agree with you but then I am a professional engineer. I understand the problem in depth. It is not enough to just be able to pull a cruise ship up to the terminal and say the port is open. With each ship taking over 3000 pax onboard every Sunday, there are significant issues of support here. I know that Galveston wants and needs the revenue but they do not have the infrastructure available and will not until 2009. You cannot just fix your property. You need materials, which are in short supply, and qualified workers (electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc) to do the work, which are also in short supply.

The other problem that is coming up is the issue of the carnivore moving back to Galveston and RCL going/staying in Galveston. Houston spent $81 million to build a new cruise terminal. It is really nice and in operation. Houston is going to do everything in their power to keep the cruise ships and not give them back to Galveston. Cruise lines are in business to make money. They could care less whether they sail out of Houston or Galveston as long as they make money and keep their ships full.

The Galveston cruise terminals are converted warehouses done on the cheap. In short they are quite lacking in amenities. The only thing that Galveston has going for it is the beach and the immediate area. They really need to spend money (millions) on updating the terminal if they expect to keep the cruise ships. I don't think they have the money. It has been reported on here as well as in the media that the cruise lines are telling Galveston to upgrade or they will move down the road to Bayport. I for one agree with the cruise lines - fix it or we move.

What Galveston needs right now, and now is the perfect opportunity, is the advice and help of some qualified urban planners. If the economy and real estate markets weren't in such bad shape, I'd be surprised if there weren't bus loads of condo developers running around the island with hard hats on and clipboards in hand scoping out the landscape with an eye for some high rise developments along the beach. It seems that after every major storm there has been a huge rise in activity along the FL and AL coastlines leading to 20+ story high rise condo towers along the beaches. It's great for the tax base, but rough on the locals who get priced out of the area. It makes the view of the water pretty slim too. I'm actually surprised that Galveston hasn't already started looking like Gulf Shores and Orange Beach in AL and Destin and Ft. Walton Beach in FL. I'd be even more surprised if it doesn't start getting that way now. I think this is the perfect opportunity for Galveston to really start booming. However, with that said, I think it is plain crazy to be building on a barrier island. The very name, barrier island, says it all.

Not sure what your source is but power has been restored to many of the Seawall businesses. There are more stoplight still hanging in Galveston than in our local area? Our flooded vehicle has been towed as of yesterday and lunch at The Spot was delicious!

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=8be3c46e4acc448a

Slideshow from Sept. 20th: http://www.galveston.com/slideshow_sanluishotel/frameset.html

Strand Photos Sept. 23rd: http://www.galveston.com/slideshow_092308/frameset.html

You are right pboedecker! I hope people do not read post like the ones here and choose not to visit because of them. The island is coming back and way ahead of schedule. Thanks for your positive comments.

Take a look:

http://www.galveston.com/news185/

We are heading down today to help out the Galveston Historical Society, maybe I'll post late with some even better news. :D

Y'all have a wonderful day!

What Galveston needs right now, and now is the perfect opportunity, is the advice and help of some qualified urban planners. If the economy and real estate markets weren't in such bad shape, I'd be surprised if there weren't bus loads of condo developers running around the island with hard hats on and clipboards in hand scoping out the landscape with an eye for some high rise developments along the beach. It seems that after every major storm there has been a huge rise in activity along the FL and AL coastlines leading to 20+ story high rise condo towers along the beaches. It's great for the tax base, but rough on the locals who get priced out of the area. It makes the view of the water pretty slim too. I'm actually surprised that Galveston hasn't already started looking like Gulf Shores and Orange Beach in AL and Destin and Ft. Walton Beach in FL. I'd be even more surprised if it doesn't start getting that way now. I think this is the perfect opportunity for Galveston to really start booming. However, with that said, I think it is plain crazy to be building on a barrier island. The very name, barrier island, says it all.

The reason why there isn't anyone interested in building high rises is because Galveston has a restriction on building high rises now. I'd anticipate that the RE market will really bounce back because of the complete demolishment of a lot of houses here. Already rent prices have skyrocketed. This also means that a lot of run down neighborhoods (too many to count on the island) will experience a beautiful revitalization.

The reason why there isn't anyone interested in building high rises is because Galveston has a restriction on building high rises now. I'd anticipate that the RE market will really bounce back because of the complete demolishment of a lot of houses here. Already rent prices have skyrocketed. This also means that a lot of run down neighborhoods (too many to count on the island) will experience a beautiful revitalization.

I'd be willing to bet that the Galveston you see in a few years will look alot different from the Galveston before the storm. It will be cleaner and newer. The reason that I said they need to enlist the help of urban planners right now, is so that they can do that without losing the old world charm while they rebuild. You also have to hope that in their zeal to rebuild, that they don't end up selling their soul to the devil, so to speak, getting developers in there that don't necessarily have the town's best interests at heart. I think that Galveston will be a really great place in a few years. Even better than before, if they do it right.

Hello cruiseloverandagent

I have been following your post with great interest. I was wondering if you could give us an update on motels and hotels on the island. We have rooms already booked for our upcoming cruises in February and March, but was wondering if there might be a shortage due to island folks using them for temporary housing. Thanks

Thank you everyone for your support!

I was back on the island yesterday and will be returning on Tuesday permanently. Galveston College resumes classes on Wednesday so I am very excited to start getting back to normal life. Even if the only thing in my apartment will be my computer and a blowup mattress :) On that note: I won't have internet access there, so I won't be posting as much as I would like, but I will try very hard.

Anyway, Gary (and Linda) the only hotel that I know is open (and full) on the island is Moody Gardens. I would bet that most hotels will be up and running long before your cruise and I don't think many people here will be using them as residences. Most people here have had to find a place to live here temporarily and so should be settled within a few weeks. Most apartment complexes/condos anticipate being ready in November-early December, which is where most people will end up instead of being cramped in a hotel.

I look forward to meeting everyone when they come through Galveston. Although this is my last season with RCCL, my check-in duties will be more limited as both Jeff and I were promoted to pier coordinators.

One of the travel columnists for the Dallas Morning News, Tom Parsons of bestfares.com, said in his column today that the transatlantic cruise of the Voyager will end up at the Port of Houston and that Voyager will use the Port of Houston until further notice.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/travel/bestfares/stories/DN-parsons_1005tra.ART.State.Edition1.26ee620.html

RC's website still shows Galveston. Does Tom have inside info that has not yet been announced? If so, we need to start making alternate plans for hotel rooms.

Anyone else aware of this rumor?

With more then 2 months to go, I kinda find this hard to accept. I'm sure that RCL has been talking to the Houston port, but to sign a contract this early?

We have Voyager booked and really would like Galveston.

Rick and Deirdra

One of the travel columnists for the Dallas Morning News, Tom Parsons of bestfares.com, said in his column today that the transatlantic cruise of the Voyager will end up at the Port of Houston and that Voyager will use the Port of Houston until further notice.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/travel/bestfares/stories/DN-parsons_1005tra.ART.State.Edition1.26ee620.html

RC's website still shows Galveston. Does Tom have inside info that has not yet been announced? If so, we need to start making alternate plans for hotel rooms.

I read the same article, and wondered the same.

WELCOME BACK CRUISELOVERANDAGENT!
It so nice to see you on-line again. I hope that any loss of property wasn't too devastating. We thought of you and your family often and kept checking here to see when you would be back in our community here at cruise critic. My travel agent, who has a group of 400 plus booked on the Voyager for January 18, 2009, told me that we would be leaving from Galveston. And between him and you I have full belief that we (my sister - TX_Lady and myself) will finally be able to tell you hello in person (in Galveston) and thank you for all your valuable advice.

Hang in there. Having gone through both Katrina and Rita and now Ike too, things will start to get a better. It might take some time but it will happen.

Toured both terminals today to get an idea of what our construction company needs to do to assist in getting the terminals ready for ships. Pier 2 (Carnival) is gearing up for cruise ships Oct. 26 (or so the deadline is for us!). Terminal 1 had a large "log" rip through the back wall (metal building) and did quite a bit of damage to the area where passengers check in. This will be repaired in plenty of time for the VOS. Our company is responsible for door and frame repairs. One door survived!

Thank you for the update and thank you and your crew for their hard work, in what I can only imagine "not so pleasant working conditions."

And then where will all the people live that have sustained the island for decades? The employees that cook, clean and work in all of the hotels, restaurants, businesses??? Those "run down" neighborhoods were these people's homes. Where will they go? Where will they live? Will their "beautiful revitalization" exclude the lower class and make it unaffordable for them to return to their jobs and home? Then what?

For the most part, those residents of Galveston that lost the use of their homes due to Ike, evacuated prior to the storm. They have found other places to live - many courtesy of FEMA and hotels located off the island. Those that were in government housing on the island before the storm (and now find it uninhabitable) have a "tent city" of sorts established on school property or they also qualify for FEMA housing. There was an immediate allocation of 30 days hotel lodging for those that applied for and qualified for FEMA support.

A slow housing market in communities north of Galveston has opened up a short term rental boom. (ie. homes that were for sale and had been on the market for a long time, have been taken off the market and are now rental property for displaced IKE victims!)

Employees are still able to get to work in Galveston. They may have to drive 20-30 minutes to work, but they will still have a job!

For those that didn't have a job prior to IKE (historically a large unemployment rate in Galveston) there are job opportunities everywhere now. There is more work on Galveston Island that the locals could ever handle!

I called the C&A desk today and they stated that at this time RCI was going operate out of Galveston. Thyis info is based on the infor from the port to RCI. Hope this helps everyone.

Also, glad to seen that Gabeston is recovering so fast, been there a couple of times and always have enjoyed our stay

pboedeker is right.

No one on the island should be able to claim that they can't get a job on the island. There's people hiring like crazy. Many UTMB and all A&M students have left the island leaving apartment openings.

Hopefully the city's drug problem will have corrected itself after all this. You could watch on any given evening, the drug dealers on the seawall making deals. The newspaper reported recently about the high drug rate that the police couldn't keep up with or really do anything about it. Even prostitution was becoming more prevalent. We had some woman shake her stuff at my dh one day on broadway at a gas station. Not to mention the murders here. I hope that when the city gets on its feet again, this stuff doesn't return.

And then where will all the people live that have sustained the island for decades? The employees that cook, clean and work in all of the hotels, restaurants, businesses??? Those "run down" neighborhoods were these people's homes. Where will they go? Where will they live? Will their "beautiful revitalization" exclude the lower class and make it unaffordable for them to return to their jobs and home? Then what?

If what has happened in Biloxi is any indication of the direction that Galveston may take, many of the lower income folks will be priced out and be forced to leave to find more affordable housing. Biloxi has really ramped up it's zoning and been very aggressive in trying to clean up areas that were blighted pre-Katrina and keep that blight from returning post-Katrina. They have gone so far as to not allow the rebuilding and/or repair of homes in areas that were in less than savory condition. Some folks will just be SOL. This is really Galvestons golden opportunity to solve some ills that they may not have been able to achieve had this storm not ravaged their town. Some may not like the changes that will occur, but I believe that Galveston will be better for it. The poor and the disadvantaged are always the ones who suffer the most, but it is inevitable.

I agree with you. If you take away the affordable housing for the lower income people who are only making $20,000 a year and have a family, then they will have to relocate to Houston. The tourist business uses a lot of lower paid help as maids, cooks, gas station attendants, etc. If there are few on the island that will accept a $10/hour job or less, who will do the work? You don't mind going to a restaurant and washing your own dishes or a hotel and cleaning your own room do you?

Let us be practical. These people need an affordable place to live on the island. Galveston is going to find out what the French Quarter found out after Katrina. A dire shortage of workers will mean higher wages and then higher prices to pay for it. Be careful what you wish for as it may come true.

pboedeker is right.

No one on the island should be able to claim that they can't get a job on the island. There's people hiring like crazy. Many UTMB and all A&M students have left the island leaving apartment openings.

And you don't think those people will need to come back? A&M students will be back, as well as the UTMB students and staff and they will all need apartments unless they want to live on the mainland and drive back and forth everyday with high gas prices, gas they can't afford in the first place.....

Regardless of what you think the storm has "cleaned up" or gotten rid of in Galveston, the city still needs residents that are willing to take the jobs no one else will want and they will need affordable housing. A lot of them rode their bikes to work so I highly doubt they will be able to buy a decent car to drive back and forth with and afford the gas at the same time. I am not talking about drug dealers or prostitutes, I am talking about low income in general, the ones who worked for very low wages.

I agree with you. If you take away the affordable housing for the lower income people who are only making $20,000 a year and have a family, then they will have to relocate to Houston. The tourist business uses a lot of lower paid help as maids, cooks, gas station attendants, etc. If there are few on the island that will accept a $10/hour job or less, who will do the work? You don't mind going to a restaurant and washing your own dishes or a hotel and cleaning your own room do you?

Let us be practical. These people need an affordable place to live on the island. Galveston is going to find out what the French Quarter found out after Katrina. A dire shortage of workers will mean higher wages and then higher prices to pay for it. Be careful what you wish for as it may come true.

Exactly. I am well aware of the effects Katrina had in New Orleans and I have a feeling that is what we will experience in Galveston. You can't just say, well we didn't like your neighborhood before so now we are going to build something better.....:rolleyes:

Archived