Port of Galveston back open by Oct 1st.

adamscot

For those who don't live in the area....

Galveston has done a fairly good job in the past 10 years of building really nice "HUD-type" houses in revitalized neighborhoods. Those home have been well maintained and are a great example of what I expect will happen in the future. There are older homes in Galveston that really needed to be leveled and rebuilt and now is the perfect time for that to occur. More of those "HUD-type" houses will provide lower income residents with a much nicer, safer environment to raise their families. I see it as a win-win situation for Galveston.

As of today, Galveston is a mess. Debris is piled high in some streets and those piles don't smell very good. But, for those who've been through storms before - this is just a natural progression in the cleanup! This is temporary. As for the unemployment rate in Galveston right now...I bet it's 0%!

You can't just say, well we didn't like your neighborhood before so now we are going to build something better.....:rolleyes:

That's exactly what happened in MS after Katrina. It may not be fair and it may not be ideal for those who lived there previously, but look for the same to happen in Galveston.

We love cruising out of Galveston. Its the easiest port I've been to as far as boarding and deboarding. We are booked for a Dec 14th cruise out of there. Hope they get it back up by then.

Keep us informed.

I understood that Galveston was shooting to be "open for business" by the end of October. If that was the case - I think we'd probably hear something soon.

We're booked on the Esctacy on the 15 with a B2B on the 20th. Coming from Mission TX, we'll probably get a hotel an hour or two South of Houston and figure out parking when we get there.

Just curious as to where "there" will be.

Report from employees yesterday at the terminal 2 say repairs are coming along nicely. Our date of Oct. 26th for completion appears to be right on track!

Thanks for keeping us up to date.....appreciate it!!:)

pboedeker is right.

No one on the island should be able to claim that they can't get a job on the island. There's people hiring like crazy. Many UTMB and all A&M students have left the island leaving apartment openings.

Hopefully the city's drug problem will have corrected itself after all this. You could watch on any given evening, the drug dealers on the seawall making deals. The newspaper reported recently about the high drug rate that the police couldn't keep up with or really do anything about it. Even prostitution was becoming more prevalent. We had some woman shake her stuff at my dh one day on broadway at a gas station. Not to mention the murders here. I hope that when the city gets on its feet again, this stuff doesn't return.

Galveston will return better than it was before. However, you need to check the "murder rate". We have petty crime (drugs and prositution) and that was being cleaned up long before Ike.

You may not necessarily see it every day, but it is happening and better than ever.

Drugs and prostitution are in every city throughout the world. Have you been toNew York City, Amsterdam or Mexico City lately?

Thiose of us who live here are closer than ever and WILL rebuild the city and its infrastructure.

I will always be positive about Galveston. It is my home (1860 home) and my husband's family home (1889) which both survived.

I can live anywhere in the world, but I love Galveston and this is where I will stay.

I checked my crime statistics...

Out of the 32 Houston city area in 2006, Galveston is number1 in property crime and in the top three for violent crime.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/4422587/detail.html

Galveston is my home too, it just has some crime issues to deal with. The paper reported a few months ago about the growing drug issues that the police cant really do anything about because of a lack of resources,.

I'll find that article when i get home, I have to go to work at Carnival right now. Neighbors helping neighbors and extending a warm helping hand.

I

I'll find that article when i get home, I have to go to work at Carnival right now. Neighbors helping neighbors and extending a warm helping hand.

I'm a check in agent in Galveston. I look foward to meeting some Voyager of the Sea travelers! I am also working temporarily for Carnival's Conquest in Bayport!

This is off topic,but may I ask if you work for the port or the cruiseline?

My DW has been interested in what you are doing when she retires.How did you get started,if you do not mind me asking?

Lots of part time work for locals working for the subcontractors handling the support needs of cruise lines at the port when ships are in port..

If you want full time work UTMB (University of Texas Medical Branch-Medical School)and Sealy Hospital are the largest employers on Island.

American National Insurance also. Educational institutions (Texas A&M University) National Marine Servive, all Medical Profesions and lots of RESEARCH, Trauma Hospital, Shiners Burn Center, Major Tourist Industry, two convention centers and Big time Historical Preservations Work and the Historical Foundation are prominent here.

...... depending on background, name you're medicine.

Galveston - Great Place To Live !!!!!!!!!!

Lots of work for locals working for the subcontractors handling the support needs of cruise lines at the port when ships are in port..

My question is, what do they do the rest of the week when there are no ships in port, which is by and large the majority of the week.

My question is, what do they do the rest of the week when there are no ships in port, which is by and large the majority of the week.

Some are retired and work it part time. I can ask a couple of friends.

I am not in that industry, there is full time work but probably for those with that background.

I would contact Carnival and Royal Carribean.

This is off topic,but may I ask if you work for the port or the cruiseline?

My DE has been interested in what you are doing when she retires.How did you get started,if you do not mind me asking?

So sorry to jump in with a "possible" reply when cruiseloverandagent will have the "definite" reply.

However, I thought you might be interested in something I remember seeing in an ad for General Help Wanted in the Galveston County Daily News' classified ads a looooong time ago at http://galvestondailynews.com/classifieds-jobs.lasso. It was from World Wide Shore Services stating they were hiring cruise line part time customer service reps for Sundays only & holidays. Said an applicant should have computer and customer service experience and to send resumes to a PO Box in Galveston. If it is the same company cruiseloverandagent works for, she will probably have more details. If not the same company, perhaps she will have the info you need about her company. From info in her other posts, I understand she does work for a company and not the port or cruise lines.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Some good and correct answers. I work for cruise services usa which does the rci ship, Voyager. They have other ships (Carnival etc.) in other ports. I'm doing some work for carnival, but normally Worldwide has that contract. We're just helping them out. Other than pay and management structure, they are pretty much the same. For agents, they only work when there is a ship in port.

If your wife is specifically interested in working for the rci voyager, let me know. I can also connect her to carnival as well

Some good and correct answers. I work for cruise services usa which does the rci ship, Voyager. They have other ships (Carnival etc.) in other ports. I'm doing some work for carnival, but normally Worldwide has that contract. We're just helping them out. Other than pay and management structure, they are pretty much the same. For agents, they only work when there is a ship in port.

If your wife is specifically interested in working for the rci voyager, let me know. I can also connect her to carnival as well

Thanks,for the answers. My wife is in a high stress accounting job and is looking toward doing something less stressful. She would like meeting people in an activity like this.She'd have something in common,she LOVES cruisng. She's keeping options open,and this is something she's talked about.It would be great to be at the Bayport terminal,much closer.We sail from there Nov.2 !!!!!!!!!

Any idea about what will happen on Nov 9th? Will the Conquest dock in Houston drop us off and then go to Galveston? Or go to Galveston and have the Nov 2 people find their own way back to Houston?:mad:

It makes more sense to dock in Galveston, but I would hope Carnival would provide transporation.

My family is cruising on the Conquest Nov 23rd. Our TA has been trying to find a hotel for some of our family with no much luck. If they stay in Houston and drive down that morning, will the parking garage be available? I don't see how they are planning to start sailing Nov 1st when people don't have places to stay or park. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

My family is cruising on the Conquest Nov 23rd. Our TA has been trying to find a hotel for some of our family with no much luck. If they stay in Houston and drive down that morning, will the parking garage be available? I don't see how they are planning to start sailing Nov 1st when people don't have places to stay or park. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check out this website:

http://www.galveston.org/search.aspx?PortalID=2&Portal=GAL&r=Rack&CID=1&Show=a&areaid=38&BeginDate=Nov+22+2008&Rooms=1&Nights=1&Adults=2&Children=0&butt_search_cui1.x=38&butt_search_cui1.y=17

There appears to be several hotels with availability?

Not sure what you mean about parking garage? The Port's parking is a one level lot located across Harborside Dr. from the terminal.

OCTOBER 22, 2008 – 10:00 AM

We are pleased to announce that the Carnival Ecstasy and Carnival Conquest will return to Galveston effective with the November 1 and November 2, 2008 departures respectively. All future departures will also operate roundtrip from Galveston.

Please note the following cruises will operate roundtrip from Houston’s Bayport Cruise Terminal:

Carnival Ecstasy - October 23 and October 27, 2008

Carnival Conquest – October 26, 2008

We want to recognize the tremendous efforts of the Port of Galveston and all of the local authorities in making our return to Galveston a reality. We appreciate their significant commitment to our guests and travel agent partners in enabling our return to Galveston so quickly.

Archived