Camp Carnival for 10 year olds

t2digital

Southern Cruise - May - Victory

I have twin 10 year old daughters. At the mention of Camp Carnival the tears started pouring as she doesn't want to leave my side. I guess when she is 16 I will then appreciate this glue-like quality. Can anyone share stories or experiences your kids had with Camp Carnival? Activities, etc. May is a long time away so I need to start building up to it now. : )

I think the most important thing - is the first night go to the Camp Carnival Orientation and Dance Party.....

The 10 year olds can sign themselves in and out - as long as it is up to you. There are tons of activities, and they take that age group to the shows at night. I am sure they will meet many kids and will be just fine!

Catrin

My daughter who just turned 10 loves Camp Carnival. She really enjoyed the Scavenger hunts as well as the pool games. She also liked playing the video games. She was allowed to sign herself in and out. But, I told her that I would pick her up because I always wanted her with someone. (I did tell her she could leave camp to go get ice cream as long as she didn't go alone.) If she didn't want to go to an activity she didn't go.

My DS always loved Camp Carnival, starting from our first cruise when he was 7. By the time he was 10, he had the routine down. After boarding, we'd go up to Camp Carnival and get the schedule for the week. Then he would circle or check off the activities he liked to make sure he remembered to go to them. It gave him some control over picking some of his vacation activities. It's definitely good to go the first night to meet everyone.

I remember one day on the beach in Montego Bay (2004 cruise - he was 8), he was digging with another boy. I asked who he was -- and DS said, "I know him from Camp Carnival!"

DS still looks forward to getting the camp activities on the first day we board - regardless what line we cruise on.

On the other hand, my brother and SIL never put their kids in Camp Carnival (or in RCI's kids' camp) because the kids don't want to go and SIL says she wants to be with her kids on vacation (last cruise with them they were about 8 and 6). I can't imagine any of them had a good time -- the kids were laying all over mom when she was trying to lay out poolside, or they were demanding that dad hang out with them in their cabin so they could play, etc. They didn't have any interaction with any other kids. And mom and dad did not get to relax!

Sometimes, mom and dad know what's best -- and the kids, not wanting to try anything new, resist. But once they go, they have a great time.

Is this her first cruise?

Sounds like she may think that she will be stuck in babysitting room while you are off having a fun time on the cruise.

Nothing could be further from that. She can come and go as she wants. If she doesnt want to do an activity= she can be off somewhere else.

One night will be a slumber party= another time a ship wide scavenger hunt. THis is the best age for the camps.

On the first night there will be a family meeting- Make her go to that- meet kids her own age and take it from there. The counselors will make sure she has the best time

She was a little hesitate the at first, but loved it by the end of the cruise. She would spend some time with us and then would get tired of us and her older siblings and start begging to go to Camp Carnival. She really liked the activities and games. She loved the late night party. The only complaint I heard was the night they went to the show. She thought the outfits were a little on the skimmy side. LOL. She still talks about the kids she met. And all ready talking about Camp Carnival when we are on the Freedom next Sept. We are sailing on Princess in November, anxious to see how the programs compare.

Have you checked your roll call for your sailing yet? There could be some other people there that will be sailing with you and also have children. It might help her (or their) adjustment to Camp Carnival if they already "know" someone else that will be there.

my 9yo enjoyed Camp Carnival on the Ecstasy for the most part this last time. She was seasick this time around, so she didn't spend as much time in there as I personally would have liked :D , but what time she was there she enjoyed.

DS 12 will be going on his first crusie and would like to go to Circle C but we know very little about this program. What kind of activities,What hours are they open. Are they open while we are in port?And anything else you coule tell us would be appreciated.

TIA Karen

Looking at the Camp Carnival schedule looks like it would be fun. One of my daughter's is all excited while the other is trepadatious. For some she became clingy when she turned nine years old. We'll play it by ear and definitely attend the parent meetings. Thanks to all of you for replying.

I have boys, but they were 9 and 7 on our cruise last year. They, too, didn't said they didn't want to go. Well, I had one kid that loved it and one kid that didn't care for it.

My 9 year old LOVED it. He is my social kid. As soon as he saw all these kids playing games, playing ping pong, listening to music, etc. he was begging me to go check it out. He did the sleepover thing and loved it. They had playstation tournaments, athletic tournaments, board games, a dance and all kinds of things. He would pick the activities he wanted to do and only go to those.

My 7 year old didn't do so well. He liked it okay. He got to make things and on the first day he really liked the volcano they made erupt. He only went a couple times. He wanted to stay with us most of the time.

I definately thought the older kids (10 and up) had better activiites and it looked more fun. Once your daughters see all the other kids they will probably want to check it out.

DS 12 will be going on his first crusie and would like to go to Circle C but we know very little about this program. What kind of activities,What hours are they open. Are they open while we are in port?And anything else you coule tell us would be appreciated.

TIA Karen

DS will be in the 12-14 year old group. they are closed from noon til 2 every day. and most nights are closed from 5- 7 (except formal night where they will have their own coketail party)

port days they are opened til noon-- but kids can check themselves in and out and I would consider that option if leaving them onboard. (if so take their sign and sail card off them so they cant get off the shhip)

Taking early dinner will help coz if you take the later seating the kids will have a lot of down time since the camp closes at 5--opens at 7 while early dinner is happening-- msot activities are happening between 8 and 10pm--while you are eating at the late dinner.

the 12-14 year old group is the hardest of all the groups-- kids this age tend to think they are too cool for a structured program and tend to hang out with each other during the week- You will find themhaving their own pizza party at the pizza placce.. playing cards in the library. Will head to the camps during open play of nintendo. (ships with the tv outside will have a ninetendo playoff about 10pm one night. Ping pong, basketball. etc.

It is very important that your 12 year old go to the first meeting the first night to see the kids sailing with him/her

TIA Karen

Circle C works on a different schedule than Camp Carnival. My son has been in this age group for 3 cruises now.. and LOVES IT!

Most of the activities do not start until after 10am - they are Teenagers! And the activities go until Midnight. It is a "loose schedule" - what I mean by that is many of the activities are just "teen hangs" with the counselor. The Disco is opened from 9-10 PM each night for this age group. They also take the group to the late show, take the group to the video game room, do scavenger hunts, and other organized activities.

The best thing at all, is the friendships they make. It becomes more about the socialization than the activities. It is a great feeling seeing our 13 yr old with a small group of friends, having the time of his life.

Our rule, after dinner... he needs to stay in Circle C - But that is the time when most kids get together.

Catrin

Archived