Barcelona - luggage storage before cruise?

calenita

We are flying into Barcelona the morning of our cruise. Ship leaves that night. (Brilliance) I know we will be DEAD when we get there but what can we do with our luggage until we are allowed to check into ship or what should we do? I know years ago in Europe we used lockers at the train station but am not sure if those still exist or if they are big enough for suitcases. Also, what is the best transportation to get into town from the airport? Thanks all. Any suggestions are welcome. Just decided to do this sort of last minute for November trip!

Calenita

Left luggage options are effectively only the one office at Sants station. However, I wouldn't bother. You don't say what time you land at BCN, so I'm going to guess its about 7am. By the time you get through immigration etc its going to be 8.30. Get a taxi to the port. Write on a piece of paper for your driver that you want to go to 'Moll Adossat' (a lot of drivers don't speak English). This is the main cruise ship terminal. Taxi will take around 30 - 40 mins and cost about €35. Dump your bags with the porters (you should be able to do this after about 10 - 10.30. If you are a bit early you may have to wait a bit). Get the blue port shuttle bus to the Colom monument at the bottom of Las Ramblas (€2 single, €3 return). Wander around until you have to be back at the ship (usually last check in is around 3.30, but check when you dump your bags).

Simon

We are flying into Barcelona the morning of our cruise. Ship leaves that night. (Brilliance) I know we will be DEAD when we get there but what can we do with our luggage until we are allowed to check into ship or what should we do? I know years ago in Europe we used lockers at the train station but am not sure if those still exist or if they are big enough for suitcases. Also, what is the best transportation to get into town from the airport? Thanks all. Any suggestions are welcome. Just decided to do this sort of last minute for November trip!

Calenita

There are several options.

How soon you are getting out of the airport is subject if you are directly flying in from the US or had a transfer in UK, Ireland or Switzerland before. Then you need a little extra time immigration.

Subject you had a transfer before in France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium (e.g.) you should be very fast out of the airport.

Opposite of Hall B (Iberia / Car Rental Counters) you'll find:

2008-NCL-Jade-30117-BCN-Gepaeck.jpg

Half of the lockers are occupied by cruisers with the same problems like you and be sure: with large large pieces of bags...

Therefore you see the price of the lockers vary:

2008-NCL-Jade-30118-BCN-Gepaeck.jpg

You can go easily to town and return later and use the ship transfer to the port e.g..

Alternatively you can go to Barcelona Sants Station by train (every 30 minutes - about 30 minutes transit time).

2008-NCLJade-40224-Abreise.jpg

Baggage storage is available at Sants Station:

2008-NCL-Jade-30112-Sants-Gepaeck.jpg

Large lockers are 4.50 EUR, smaller are 3.00 EUR.

A taxi here later to the port was about 10.00 EUR.

2008-NCL-Jade-30101-Taxi.jpg

but can vary due to time of travel, weekday of travel, no. of baggage or airport/seaport-traffic.

The good thing: one of the Ho-Ho-Bus lines starts from Sants station. You'll have access to Metro connection.

If you decide to leave your bags at the airport you can go with the train directly to Passeig de Garcia or Franca which are close to the Gothic District.

Have a great time Barcelona. It was great!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

THANKS for the detailed information. Our flight arrives at 7:45 a.m. direct from New York. I'm not sure what time the embarkation is at the port. There are five of us. We have our three children along - 13, 12, 8. This might affect the taxi thing since we may be too many for one taxi. I speak Spanish (Castellano) so that will help.

Both suggestions are great. Leaving our bags at the airport sounds like backtracking go me, but I could be wrong.

How exactly does it work with leaving the luggage with porters at the dock so early? Are they ready to put it on the ship then?

When would be the earliest we could get on the ship and into our room if we want to take a siesta?

We have just booked this so I am having to do my reserach fast. Gracias! Calenita

THANKS for the detailed information. Our flight arrives at 7:45 a.m. direct from New York. I'm not sure what time the embarkation is at the port. There are five of us. We have our three children along - 13, 12, 8. This might affect the taxi thing since we may be too many for one taxi. I speak Spanish (Castellano) so that will help.

Both suggestions are great. Leaving our bags at the airport sounds like backtracking go me, but I could be wrong.

How exactly does it work with leaving the luggage with porters at the dock so early? Are they ready to put it on the ship then?

When would be the earliest we could get on the ship and into our room if we want to take a siesta?

We have just booked this so I am having to do my reserach fast. Gracias! Calenita

About 1/3 of the taxis are SEAT ALHAMBRAS which is a mini-van type. So it will fit for your family and baggage.

Normally check-in starts around noon. But already delivered the baggage around 10.30 hrs. Depending to the terminal you just drop-off the bags at the kiosk. But every cab driver will deliver you there...

2008-NCL-Jade-30094-Ausschiffung.jpg

That's for instance Terminal A. On the right part of the terminal just behind the mini-van there is the release point for the baggage. You'll find porters there.

We were too early there and the porters were all in-charge to get the baggage out. The terminal manager asked us to return in about 1 1/2 hours before he can open the baggage drop-off point.

But this may vary to the cruiselines.

I think the best would be to get to Barcelona Sants, store the bags, making a sightseeing tour by Ho-Ho-Bus and then continue to the port.

Or you go directly to the port. Last time the road was so congested that I think after immigration, baggage collection, customs clearance and transfer you'll be the right time at the port...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you so much for the great photos, HeinBloed! Makes it much easier to see exactly what one is looking to find. (Wish I could locate some photos like that of the luggage lockers at Centraal Station in Amsterdam!)

(Wish I could locate some photos like that of the luggage lockers at Centraal Station in Amsterdam!)

2007AMSCSSign5-vi.jpg

It's off topic... but left at the bottom is the sign for left-luggage at Amsterdam Centraal Station...

... but you do not need them... as you can find at the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam following one:

AMSPTLockers-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Personally, I think either dropping the bags at the airport or Sants station will involve back tracking, but thats your decision. As said, there are a lot of minivan taxis, so you should be OK for the relatively short taxi ride, though this will could up the price a bit...not much, say up to €40. We arrived dockside at 11am on our May cruise on the Navigator and people had already dropped bags off. It is just stored until screened and put on the ship. As we had been in BCN for 4 days, we just got straight on the ship...on board by 11.15. You usually won't be able to access your room until 1pm, but all public areas are open and the Windjammer will be open from about 11.30.

Simon

Archived