Cell phone usage in Bermuda

Nikolle2

Or check your providers website. Here is Verizon, as an examaple. $1.99/min on standard rate plan in Bermuda.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/pdf/global_value_plan_rates.pdf

I have Verizon, checked their website, etc. Since I'm what they call an "occasional traveler" my best option is "international roaming." I had to call the number on the website and the customer rep did something on his end to program my phone. Then I followed his instructions to dial in and have the international roaming activated. Since my husband's phone is on the same account, we'll do the same thing with his phone. You have to do the activation before you leave the U.S. There's no set-up charge for international roaming. We only have to pay for usage. The standard rate is $1.99 per minute in Bermuda, and $2.49 per minute on the Majesty. The Verizon website lists all the cruise lines, and which ships are covered.

Back from Bermuda last week and I have Verizon too. Be sure to have your Verizon account switched to international. On the Majesty, with the international plan it is $2.49 per minute but $1.99 while on Bermuda. Texting with my Verizon plan was :) free on ship and on Bermuda. I was able to take pictures on my cell phone and send them with a text to my family back home almost instantaneously. It was really a cool way of sharing.

You're getting good advice, but the best is to just call your cell provider. I know with Verizon having so many pricing tiers now...I'm just not sure what's included with what any more. We took our Verizon phones on the Dawn in June and they worked just fine....$2.49 / minute on the ship and $1.29 was my rate on Bermuda. Texts were 5 cents to send and 25 cents to receive...for us anyways.

The service was so easy to use that I ran up about $250 in charges calling home to check on the kids. I will warn you once you start using it that you totally lose track of the time you're on it. We even bought a calling card in Bermuda, but never ended up using any of it cause we just used our cell phone.

Side note regarding the public phones in Bermuda: Did anyone else notice that whenever you went up to a cluster of phones that usually 50% or more of them didn't work?

Archived