Last Minute Suites

austincruising

How often are suites available to upgrade into on the day of a cruise? When available, how much is the upgrade charge from a veranda to a suite?

I'm sure there are lots of variables involved (length of cruise, how crowded the ship is, etc.), but I'm just looking for a general price range.

Thanks.

Rarely. On my last few cruises, being a former TA I checked to see what suites were available right before they closed booking. I have gotten to the port and one of the first to check through only to be told, there are none available.

So either they upgraded already, or don't want customers to be in the habit. By the way, I always pay the passenger rate.

So something that I have been pondering is, if they get to sail date and there are still suite, FV's and CC's available, do they make the existing passengers happy by either giving them upgrades or offering them at a reduced rate; or do they leave everyone where they are and sail with the premium accommodations empty?

It seems from a marketing standpoint that you could make a lot of people happy by upgrading them if the rooms were just going to go empty. . .even if you sold them for a small up-charge. If SOME rooms were going to be empty, may as well make it the less desireable ones!

Anyone with any experience in this?

So something that I have been pondering is, if they get to sail date and there are still suite, FV's and CC's available, do they make the existing passengers happy by either giving them upgrades or offering them at a reduced rate; or do they leave everyone where they are and sail with the premium accommodations empty?

It seems from a marketing standpoint that you could make a lot of people happy by upgrading them if the rooms were just going to go empty. . .even if you sold them for a small up-charge. If SOME rooms were going to be empty, may as well make it the less desireable ones!

Anyone with any experience in this?

Hello...As mentioned above, in 99% of the cases, there are not suites, FV's and CC's available near or on sail date. The cruise lines will either have these rooms sold in advance, and if they are not sold in advance, they will upgrade passengers already booked in lower class cabin categories.

Your thought is a good one, but these accommodations are never left empty.

Dave

Well, our cruise, which leaves in 5 weeks, is still showing suites in all categories (except Penthouse), FV's and CC's still available! I have no idea how many people would book a 14 day Med cruise this close to sail date, but it seems like there will be at least some upper-tier cabins unbooked.

If they were to offer me an upgrade to one of those at a great rate, I would snap it up--I don't expect them to just bump me out of the kindness of their hearts! So I guess my question is, would they just upgrade people randomly, or would they offer the premium cabins at a reduced rate to already-booked pax if they were still unsold close to sail date? I don't really expect anyone to know the answer to this--who knows how they think?--I am just musing about it!!!

;) Cathy

I remember getting a call from our agent about 6 weeks prior to one of our cruises offering an upgrade from verandah to suite. I really don't remember what the difference was, but do remember thinking why would I want to spend that now if I didn't reserve it when I booked? In other words there wasn't much of a price deal for us. When we checked in we asked if the suites were still available, thinking we'd get a "deal" but they were all booked. I wouldn't count on any big windfall.

On both the Summit and the Constellation, we arrived at the dock and asked the pier co-ordinator about upselling into the Penthouse from Royal Suite. Both times, since it was available (checked beforehand) and we were allowed to upsell into it for $1,000.00 total. Nice digs.

No, I'm not counting on it and am happy in my guarantee veranda, which turned out to be a 2A. I just wonder how they think and plan and move the pax around on the chessboard! It's pretty unusual to see this number of premium cabins available this close to sail date--and who knows how many more are really available--I'm just basing this on what shows up on the website in each category.

It was kind of disheartening to find that residents of NY are being offered a CC for what I paid for a guarantee, however. If they offered me the opportunity to upgrade to a CC for a small fee, I would happily do it. But right now the price differential is $1200/couple, which IMO is not worth it. Maybe I can move to NY in the next few weeks! Not!

And BTW I totally agree about booking what makes you happy. I fully accepted that I could get the worst balcony cabin on the ship when I did the guarantee. I think if you "expect" any more than that, you set yourself up for disappointment. One guest said that they were "so insulted" by their cabin assignment--didn't get that! It WILL be interesting to see what happens in these next few weeks, that's for sure!

thx Cathy

Really! I had no idea you could do this and have been cruising since the early 80's. Is there always an upgrade counter at the check-in area?

And is the price differential they charge you significantly less than what they show on the website before you leave?

Maybe this is the answer to what they do with the unoccupied premium cabins! Can you give me an idea of what you upgraded from and into?

thanks so much for the info

Cathy

I guess we've just been lucky, but we've been able to upgrade on every Celebrity cruise we've sailed. We arrive early, and head direct to the upgrade area as soon as we've checked-in. :D

We are sailing out of Bayonne - wondering if you can tell us where to head to see if we could buy a last minute upgrade?

Just today we got a call from our TA to see if we were interested in an upgrade to a sky suite from a CC class. You bet! $500.00 extra got us into a suite for a two week cruise. So we basically are cruising for the price of one, which is $6,000.00 in a sky suite for two weeks.

We are three weeks out from our cruise.

Shay

Archived