What type of reception for my tub?

PrincessDreams4P&B

We are leaving tomorrow and I found a blow up pool on clearance at Walgreens for my nephew who is 11 months. It is 43"x39.5"x23" and is about as big as my recliner seat. I also have a balcony to use it on. I also have a 4 year old so I doubt we will be hanging out at the Lido pool too much, thought about handing out on the Fascinations Veranda deck all the way at the back is a pool near the basket ball court or on the Promenade deck where the kids pool is. Camp Carnival is on the Veranda deck as well. I don't know where but we will find a quite place to play.

While it sounds like a neat idea, besides the space issue (those chairs truly are packed together like sardines), the water disposal issue (just because you can pour the water down the drain by the shower doesn't mean the next person who comes along should have to stand on the leftovers), I simply wouldn't have a child that age out in that sun. Period.

I fry even in December if I'm even a teeny, tiny bit negligent in applying and reapplying heavy-duty sunscreen. The last thing you need is a small child with a bad sunburn. Or even a mild sunburn! My baby burned once at the beach just from the reflection off the sand, even though she was in the shade and had an additional cover over her!

I have a little cup (holds about 2 1/2 cups of water) that I planned to bring to fill and empty the tub.

I got her a special swim suit with sleeves that helps to block the suns rays. I have bought evey type of sun screen and lotion known to man and a little beach cabana for our day at Half Moon Cay!

Please don't forget a hat, and a couple extra towels to make a tent over the pool. Have a blast!

While it sounds like a neat idea, besides the space issue (those chairs truly are packed together like sardines), the water disposal issue (just because you can pour the water down the drain by the shower doesn't mean the next person who comes along should have to stand on the leftovers), I simply wouldn't have a child that age out in that sun. Period.

I fry even in December if I'm even a teeny, tiny bit negligent in applying and reapplying heavy-duty sunscreen. The last thing you need is a small child with a bad sunburn. Or even a mild sunburn! My baby burned once at the beach just from the reflection off the sand, even though she was in the shade and had an additional cover over her!

The sun is very scary. I understand your concern, but I would give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that she doesn't intend to have her infant in the sun for long periods of time.

You may fry in December...but not everyone does. I have 2 kids. One takes after me and tans the other, like you fries...even when it's cloudy.

I'd wager the Mom will have a hat on the kid..she already described having a long sleeved bathing suit for the child.

It's so rare to have a responsible parent post on here....let's give her a break.

What if everyone wanted to do that?

There would be a lot less complaints about people allowing their kids in diapers in the pool, I'm guessing??:confused:

It's so rare to have a responsible parent post on here....let's give her a break.

While I consider myself a responsible parent, most of my posts have nothing to do with children!:cool:

I agree with the point you are trying to make here, and agree whole-heartedly! Kudo's to the OP for her concern and thoughtfulness!:D

Things to consider:

How will you fill?

How will you empty (especially if it's not as clean as when it started :eek: )?

Why does it need to be near the pool?

What if everyone wanted to do that?

Okay I am trying not to feel like I am being attacked as a bad parent here by some of these posts but apparently people are not reading subsequent posts.

As I have stated in previous posts...

I only plan on putting about 4 cups of water in the pool, which takes up less room than a regular bed pillow.

I will use the same container to dispose of the water down the drain of the shower area on deck.

My daughter is a paying passenger, she take up no more space than other paying passengers on the ship. I am pretty sure that not everyone is traveling with an infant so this will not be a rampant issue.

I was not only trying to be a responsible parent by giving my daughter a sensible option to be able to play and stay cool and comfortable, but to be a responsible passenger and not ignore the rules (as I have read that other parents have) and just put her dirty diaper and all in the pool.

We live in GA and are well aware of the effects of the sun, while it is not the tropics, it is still something I am familiar dealing with my older 2 children as we are well traveled.

Again as I have stated before, I have sunscreen, special swim suits that block, UVA protected sun cabana and the sense to know not to put my daughter in direct sun..and yes I have a large number of hats that I will be bringing with me...

To those who posted and were trying to give helpful tips and to those who defended me and my choice, I thank you so very much.

I would caution those who were less than well meaning, as to how you would feel if it was implied you were a poor parent based on basically no information from a 3 sentence post.

Something else to think about doing would be to wash the baby's clothes - t-shirt she might sleep in the pool area in case she is in the sun - is SPF guarding her clothes. Several years ago we took a tropical vacation with my infant niece and nephew and I bought a product from the makers of what you can tie-dye clothes with to SPF their clothing. It was great so even when they were in the shade they were SPF protected. They were under a year old so couldn't wear sunscreen which was why the over protection. Just a thought. You could even wash the blankets in it to protect the baby. I found it at a cloth store as Wal-mart didn't have it.

Also - take toys for baby to play with in when splashing to amuse herself and she will be probably happy playing in the water.

I think it is strange that water diapers aren't allowed. Oh well.

I think this is an amazingly good idea .. and I would bet you have crew more than happy to help you with filling and emptying the pool .. the tend to love the babies ..

You seem to have all the details covered and I hope you and you baby have a wonderful cruise .. I can hear the giggles from her now !!!

We took a small blow up pool for our 1 year old great niece on RCCL a couple of years ago. It was fantastic. I don't think that you can even take children in swim diapers into the children's pool.

We had a drain on our balcony where we emptied it. We filled it using our ice bucket and taking water from the bathroom. Having that pool was fantastic. We did not take the pool up to the main pool because we just didn't use the main pool very much. When up by the main pool we had buckets and scoops and other things for her to play with.

Also, we went to a marine supply store and purchased a good life jacket. The ship did not have a life jacket to fit her properly and we had it for excursions, and beach days.

Have fun,

Cherie

OP

I'll bet your a great parent. Please don't let some people on this thread

bother you. You are correct, you paid for your daughter to cruise with

you and providing her with a SMALL pool, out of everyones way in which

she can enjoy herself should not cause any problems. In fact you could

just remove the last lounge chair in the row and put the pool there.

Fill the pool with the water from the shower and empty the pool down

the same drain. Don't forget to run the shower water to rinse it

down;)

We did this exact same thing with our gd and she was the ONLY baby

with her own pool so there was no danger of 100's of little pools on

deck.

Have a great cruise and come back and tell us about it:)

What part of "things to consider" didn't you understand.

It's a checklist not a criticism. :rolleyes:

I must respectfully disagree, as the OP, I felt that had he stopped at the questions regarding how I would fill it and then dispose of it, then I could see viewing it as a checklist. However when he ended his post with "Why does it need to be near the pool?" - (I reread exactly what I had posted and did not see anywhere that I had stated I was placing it next to the pool - in fact I had stated that I would be placing us somewhere out of the "main action" and tucked away). He then closed with "what if everyone did that" - clearly a scolding, not a checklist.

I am truly disheartened over the fact that such a simple post about a little tub, for a sweet little girl would cause such a fuss. :(

Not that you need anymore validation that you are a great parent.

But I think you are being very resonsible first of all to your child, which is your priority, making sure she has a good time, and that she is well protected from the sun. But also you are being considerate of other cruisers and how can you make this work for everyone.

My personal opinion, which of course means absolutely nothing.....is fill up the pool, let her have a ball and enjoy your cruise!!!!!! Who doesn't love to see a smiling, cooing, laughing baby???

You have the right idea...I've seen little ones in blow up pools on the Lido deck before...they are happily playing and splashing and I never once saw anyone grumble...brought lots of smiles to everyone..especially us "empty nesters" who can look back and only remember when...

Thanks for being such a wonderful parent...more are need in this world for sure...Happy sailing..

[quote name='MikeNKim']Not that you need anymore validation that you are a great parent.

But I think you are being very resonsible first of all to your child, which is your priority, making sure she has a good time, and that she is well protected from the sun. But also you are being considerate of other cruisers and how can you make this work for everyone.

My personal opinion, which of course means absolutely nothing.....is fill up the pool, let her have a ball and enjoy your cruise!!!!!! Who doesn't love to see a smiling, cooing, laughing baby???[/quote]

Thanks so much!!!:o

[quote name='big_duck']What part of "things to consider" didn't you understand.

It's a checklist not a criticism. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have to disagree Duck. I took it as more criticism than a "checklist".

The first two questions had already been answered and the last two
were not part of any checklist.

She seems like a genuine concerned parent who wants to have a great
cruise with her entire family, baby included while making sure the other
guests are not inconvenienced.

[quote name='wentworth']I have to disagree Duck. I took it as more criticism than a "checklist".
[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana]As the father of a daughter who has cruised from the age of 4, I knew exactly what I was saying. I didn’t ask the OP to answer any questions. They were things to consider.[/FONT]

I dont have children of my own, so i have no input on that end, but as another passenger on board, I can honestly say if i were to walk by and see a little child playing in her own pool...i would say omg how cute is she...to the OP, i have read the posts for a few days now and I feel you have everything covered and you are doing your best to make sure everyone involved (both your family as well as other guests) are happy with the situation. Take your pool, set up shop in an area that is comfortable to you and enjoy your time. The only thing i tend to agree with is potentially staying away from the main pool area, which i think you mentioned you hadnt planned to be to near anyways..and i only say that for the safety of you and your child as many people tend to congregate in that area and are in and out of the pool all day pushing the chairs around....i just dont think that would be your safest bet...oh well thats just my two cents....good luck!

Archived