Buying Alcohol at Port and bringing it onboard? Nassau?

I'm cruising to the Bahamas, I have read any alcohol you bring back will be taken and given back to you on the last day. My questions are:

Is there a limit on how much alcohol you can buy at Port and bring back w/ you? Can you bring as much as you can carry? LOL

Are there places within walking distance, in Nassau, that you can even buy liquor at reasonable prices? I like rum and wines. Not much into beers or tequilas, etc. My question would be irrelevent if there were no places to buy it...

Thank you everyone!!! Everyone has been so kind and helpful here!!! :D

If you're flying home, take into consideration the additional weight of your "cheap" liquor! It could cost you more than buying it at home!

You're allowed to buy a certain dollar amount of anything--(go to the US customs website--I don't know what the limits are.) but the limit goes for ALL purchases--not just liquor.

Are there places within walking distance, in Nassau, that you can even buy liquor at reasonable prices? I like rum and wines. Not much into beers or tequilas, etc. My question would be irrelevent if there were no places to buy it...

You should be able to get some good deals on rum in the shop on the cruise ship.

I have looked it up, it looks to be $800 worth of items. I had no idea that it was customs, I thought it was the cruise line. See, I'm all new at this...

The amount of alcohol, correct me if I'm wrong, looks to be 2 liters... Anyone know this to be true?

Thanks

I believe 2 liters is correct. But I think it is 2 liters per person. We were in Nassau a couple of years ago. A lot of the prices were cheaper than here in the US, but we wanted to buy something you can't get here. I got Raspberry Rum!!! The BEST!! I mix it with Sprite! Anyway..it is a bit of a walk back to the ship, but not too bad (depends on where you are docked, we were almost to the end). The only thing we didn't think about was the weight, had to pay for a bag that was too heavy! :mad: Oh well, the rum was soo worth it! Since you are driving, you have nothing to worry about!!:p

Enjoy your trip!

2 liters sounds about right and it's all per person so you can double that if there are two of you. I have never had any hassles with customs and they have never asked me to open a suitcase yet. I have never brought back liquor so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

So do they confiscate your alcohol bought at ports when you check back onto the ship? I know they take it from you when you first get on, and I just assumed that they did it at the ports as well, so we've never bought anything off the ship like that.

Any clarification would be wonderful!

Stephanie :cool:

So do they confiscate your alcohol bought at ports when you check back onto the ship? I know they take it from you when you first get on, and I just assumed that they did it at the ports as well, so we've never bought anything off the ship like that.

Stephanie :cool:

Yes, there will be a table set up to take your purchases as you reboard and most of the time (but not all the time) you will be directed to the table to give up your bottle(s).

I believe you are only allowed one liter per person unless you have purchased in St. Thomas - we bought four liters of rum on our last cruise and had to pay duty on two of them.

Now I'm confused! I thought you only had to pay duty if you spend more than $800. I'm so lost! LOL

I barely know what duty is, taxes, right? I'm a complete newbie!!! Any help is appreciated!

I guess I would like to know how much is duty, when to pay it, etc. LOL I feel like a complete idiot. Ha ha

In Nassau you are allowed 2 bottles as long as one of them is made in the Bahamas. So your could bring back 2 Bahama brands and 2 of something else if there are 2 people.

Anything the ship sells will be at or lower than in port. However, the ship doesn't carry everything, so we end up going into port to get some stuff. There is a liquor store on the corner if you turn right once you are out of the "pass-through" building. CAn't remember the name, but they carry a lot of different stuff.

Archived