Stock Obc Not Combinable Anymore

jmezmom

I have read most but not all the pages of this thread. From what I've read no one has touched on the fact that some people buy the stock for the cruise they are doing now and get the OBC and then sell it! As always it is those greedy people who ruin it for the rest of the honest folks!

How is this dishonest and greedy, and how does this ruin it for the rest of the "honest" folks?!:confused: If someone sells the stock, that means someone else bought it. It's not sitting out there unsold. Plus, a one-time OBC does not pay for the price of the stock. If you bought the stock, used it for one cruise and then sold it, you would be far in the hole.

Maybe no one has touched on this because it makes no sense.

And, no, I am not a stockholder and never have been.

I have read most but not all the pages of this thread. From what I've read no one has touched on the fact that some people buy the stock for the cruise they are doing now and get the OBC and then sell it! As always it is those greedy people who ruin it for the rest of the honest folks!

Almost hate to do this but.....what can possibly be "dishonest", about buying a publically traded company, obtaining benefits openly offered to all owners of the stock (100 min. shares) and then selling at either a profit or loss at a time of the stock owners choosing? How is this any different than buying Phillip Morris or GE for the dividend and then selling after the dividend payment?

I fail to see any greed (same risks assumed with any stock purchase) or dishonesty at all. Comments??

Almost hate to do this but.....what can possibly be "dishonest", about buying a publically traded company, obtaining benefits openly offered to all owners of the stock (100 min. shares) and then selling at either a profit or loss at a time of the stock owners choosing? How is this any different than buying Phillip Morris or GE for the dividend and then selling after the dividend payment?

I fail to see any greed (same risks assumed with any stock purchase) or dishonesty at all. Comments??

Agreed, RCL has no idea who buys and sells the stock immediately just for the OBC and there is nothing dishonest about that (many people call it Day Trading!). I would hope people are financially wise about that though taking into consideration the commission paid to buy/sell the stock in addition to the stock value possibly declining. Some people buy stock and if the stock jumps because of some reason over a day or some weeks, they sell it to retain the change in stock value, it's really no different.

As an investor, I buy stock that I believe in and hold onto it for an investment over time, not just for an OBC. I am sure when RCL placed this policy in effect for the OBC, they were thinking that people would hold onto it like I do over time, not just buy it for the OBC and then sell it.

I cruise so much that I couldn't even justify doing something like that all of the time just for the OBC, and if you buy it just before the cruise, who is to say you're not buying at the high and selling at the low. The OBC might be negative when you consider all costs!

Hi

I've just read through this post and am disappointed to hear that the ability to stack the stock ownership OBC with other OBC/discount offers will not be allowed in the future.

Here is my question...

When do you normally fax/email your statement to shareholder services to receive the OBC?

I've historically faxed it in close to the sail date assuming they wanted a current statement.

Can I fax them in earlier? I'm not trying to get around a policy change but just trying to take care of all the paperwork as soon as possible so I don't have to worry about doing it closer to sailing.

Ex. I have a March 2009 cruise on the Mariner booked. The closest quarterly statement I will receive will be my 12/31/08 statement that I'll probably receive late January. Normally, that is the one I would fax over. Can I send an earlier one?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Noreen

I have all my Shareholder OBC's attached for all my cruises booked for 2009 and one in 2010. I usually email the info as soon after I book. Since I don't plan to sell the stock, never an issue, I always own it when I sail. They are very responsive, this time I had my confirmation back in less than 24 hours. Once I get the confirmation from Shareholder Credit, I wait a day or so, then call C&A and make sure it is applied and have them email me a new booking confirmation reflecting the Shareholder OBC.

So to answer your question, you can email the info any time you want.

How is this dishonest and greedy, and how does this ruin it for the rest of the "honest" folks?!:confused: If someone sells the stock, that means someone else bought it. It's not sitting out there unsold. Plus, a one-time OBC does not pay for the price of the stock. If you bought the stock, used it for one cruise and then sold it, you would be far in the hole.

Maybe no one has touched on this because it makes no sense.

And, no, I am not a stockholder and never have been.

Actually the the post made perfect sense which is why nobody touched on it until you.The OBC is for stockholders at time of sailing.If you accept stockholder credit that is for shareholders at time of sailing and you do not own the stock at time of sailing that is STEALING plain and simple

Actually the the post made perfect sense which is why nobody touched on it until you.The OBC is for stockholders at time of sailing.If you accept stockholder credit that is for shareholders at time of sailing and you do not own the stock at time of sailing that is STEALING plain and simple

The OBC is given when the stockholder requirements have been met.

Stealing? :rolleyes:

Great time to buy IMHO.

I had owned this stock off and on for over 3 years.

Earlier this year I bought in the $19 range sold when it got close to $30 an also used the Stockholders Credit , I have been told that they do check on the time of sailing to see if you still own it, that is why it doesn't show up till the second day of the cruise.

How is this dishonest and greedy, and how does this ruin it for the rest of the "honest" folks?!:confused: If someone sells the stock, that means someone else bought it.

It is dishonest. The reason being the Shareholder Benefit policy clearly states one must own the stock at the time of sailing to qualify for the benefit. RCL has no realistic way of checking to see if someone is still holding their stock at the time of the sailing, so people are on the "honor" system. Several people on these boards commented they bought the stock, immediately sent a copy of the purchase to Shareholder's e-mail, received confirmation back, and then sold the stock. While I do not agree that this is stealing, it certainly is dishonest and an abuse of the policy.

Great time to buy IMHO.

I have been told that they do check on the time of sailing to see if you still own it, that is why it doesn't show up till the second day of the cruise.

That is not true. Many times OBC takes a couple of days to post (even OBC's given to you by TA's). I do not know how they would be able to check and personally know of somebody who sold prior to sailing and informed me they received the OBC.

That is not true. Many times OBC takes a couple of days to post (even OBC's given to you by TA's). I do not know how they would be able to check and personally know of somebody who sold prior to sailing and informed me they received the OBC.

Not that hard to check to see if you currently own a stock.

Same way they check when they send out the dividend checks or annual reports.

Perhaps, but I think with major online brokeages (i.e. TD Amertrade, E-Trade etc.) the companies are notified by the brokerage how many annaul reports are needed, the total dividend amount and the online brokerage forwards them to the appropriate individual shareholders. I never receive anything directly from any of the companies whose stock I hold. While I am sure it is possible for RCL to determine who holds stock at the time of sailing, I do not think it is easy for them to do this. If it was easy there would be no need for people to submit proof of ownership in the first place - and certainly not to have to submit updated proof of ownership each time you use the OBC perk.

Perhaps, but I think with major online brokeages (i.e. TD Amertrade, E-Trade etc.) the companies are notified by the brokerage how many annaul reports are needed, the total dividend amount and the online brokerage forwards them to the appropriate individual shareholders. I never receive anything directly from any of the companies whose stock I hold. While I am sure it is possible for RCL to determine who holds stock at the time of sailing, I do not think it is easy for them to do this. If it was easy there would be no need for people to submit proof of ownership in the first place - and certainly not to have to submit updated proof of ownership each time you use the OBC perk.

I understand your point, I haven't dealt with any online brokers so all my holdings , (bought through Raymond James Inc. s) come direct from the companies I own stock in.

It is dishonest. The reason being the Shareholder Benefit policy clearly states one must own the stock at the time of sailing to qualify for the benefit. RCL has no realistic way of checking to see if someone is still holding their stock at the time of the sailing, so people are on the "honor" system. Several people on these boards commented they bought the stock, immediately sent a copy of the purchase to Shareholder's e-mail, received confirmation back, and then sold the stock. While I do not agree that this is stealing, it certainly is dishonest and an abuse of the policy.

Actually, if someone buys the stock, sends in the information to RCI for the OBC, and sells the stock immediately after receiving confirmation the OBC has posted, that could meet the legal definition of theft by deception. The reason for that would be the policy clearly stated that you had to own the stock at time of sailing.

As far as RCI checking on ownership through my broker, that would be a violation of privacy laws, and no broker worth their salt would provide that information without a subpeona or court order. That is why you have to voluntarily provide the information, and why you are on the honor system.

Other countries may have different rules or regulations.

Actually, if

As far as RCI checking on ownership through my broker, that would be a violation of privacy laws, and no broker worth their salt would provide that information without a subpeona or court order. That is why you have to voluntarily provide the information, and why you are on the honor system.

Other countries may have different rules or regulations.

That broker only buys the stock for you, the holdings are in your name not the broker who bought it for you. The broker charges you for the buy as well as the sale of your stock, you take all the ups and downs that goes with holding stocks.

Gonzo, maybe I misunderstood. I thought the implication was that people were purchasing the stock, obtaining the OBC, and then selling the stock AFTER they sailed. To me, there is no theft or dishonesty there.

That broker only buys the stock for you, the holdings are in your name not the broker who bought it for you. The broker charges you for the buy as well as the sale of your stock, you take all the ups and downs that goes with holding stocks.
Very true. But if RCI has access to the information, why do I have to send verification prior to every cruise ?

Great time to buy IMHO.

I had owned this stock off and on for over 3 years.

Earlier this year I bought in the $19 range sold when it got close to $30 an also used the Stockholders Credit , I have been told that they do check on the time of sailing to see if you still own it, that is why it doesn't show up till the second day of the cruise.

My stock is held by my brokerage company in street name, and I would bet that 90% or more of us have the same arrangement. That's why you have to send in proof of ownership. Otherwise Linda could just pull it up on her computer screen.

Miami doesn't send any OBC information to the ships until a day or three into the cruise, not just the shareholder OBC. I seriously doubt that they're busy trying to verify ownership of shares by each person who has OBC coming.

Gonzo, maybe I misunderstood. I thought the implication was that people were purchasing the stock, obtaining the OBC, and then selling the stock AFTER they sailed. To me, there is no theft or dishonesty there.

The people talking about dishonest behavior are referring to selling the stock before sailing. I don't think anybody is saying it is dishonest to use the OBC and then sell the stock after the sailing.

I still am not sure agree that selling before sailing constitutes theft. I certainly agree that it is dishonest and unethical, but I do not see how there is a legal obligation to inform RCL if you sell their stock after signing up for OBC. It is not a legally binding agreement so far as I can see.

I've been trying all morning to fax our proof to 305 539-4645. Is there a better/different fax number for RCL?

Thanks!

If you are able to send it via e-mail, myself and others generally have had success receiving back confirmation within 36 hours or less. Can you scan the document into a computer and e-mail it?

sorry but my diamond discount and stockholder credit combined barely make a dent in my seapass bill... :rolleyes: ...I am one of those customers they shouldn't want to lose. The coupon carrot they are dangling is nothing compared to the revenues generated (cocktails, wine, spa)...sad for my wallet but true nonetheless!

I have to say we fall into this category as well. A few hundred off the sea pass bill is nice but between excursions, the spa, wine, specialty dining etc...

YIKES :eek:

RA

Archived