Do northerners enjoy their winter cruise more?

gargoyle999

Franu, we have no plans either to do a Caribbean cruise -- but wouldn't turn down a freebie. While working we'd do a one week resort holiday either on an island or in Mexico so have a sense of the flavour of that part of the world.

We've done the South Pacific and have had two long land adventures in Australia and a brief one in New Zealand. We've had a land adventure in Asia and covered most of the southern/warm-in-our-winter countries of real interest.

India is first on our list and would prefer to cruise as I suspect there'd be less risk of illness just dabbling with daily shore excursions.

Most trips thru' the Suez are just a small part of world voyages -- not an option on our budget. This would be another choice destination.

Ok...I've been thinking about this for awhile. I live in Minnesota and have a cruise booked on the Miracle for February. Now here in Dec, Jan, and Feb it gets very very cold and we have this crazy white stuff that falls from the sky and makes you have auto accidents and throw your back out trying to move it off the driveway and sidewalk so you don't fall and crack your skull.

One of the things I'm really looking forward to is the warmer weather and no snow! Here is what I'm thinking about: I think I'm going to enjoy my cruise more than southerners onboard because warm weather in Feb is no big deal for them. For me it's a huge part of the trip. So while we'll all enjoy all the other aspects of the cruise, I'm getting more for my money because I'm going to appreciate the nicer weather so much!

Anyway, I know I have too much free time to think about stupid things like this. But it's just been on my mind and I wanted to share. :)

We grew up in Michigan and New York, and have lived in South Carolina for 16 years. The winters were brutal, especially around February. The cloudy skies and no sunshine for months were worse than the snow. If we had cruised while we lived up north (we didn't), we would have become more "hooked" on cruising than we currently are.

DavidnSteph

We left from NYC the week before Thanksgiving, but the weather wasn't that cold. It was pretty neat to hear Christmas carols with a Reggae or Calypso beat, and see the little old ladies in colorful summer clothes standing next to Salvation Army kettles, ringing their handbells.:cool:

When we got BACK, however, there was a frosting of snow on our car and we kept wondering just WHY were we leaving the ship?:confused: After all it had taken us to such nice warm sunny places....

We looooooooooove cruising in the non-winter months. Living in Seattle, it's not about a quest to get away from the snow. It's about getting away from the overcast and drizzle that plagues us October through July! We will cruise or take a sunny land vacation anytime except the 4 weeks from mid-Aug to mid-Sept when we get decent weather in Seattle. :D

You have no idea how wonderful it is leaving the "frozen tundra" with a temperature of -35 degrees and landing in Ft Lauderdale later in the day to +82. We did that last February and it was like going to Heaven . . . stepping out of the airport in FLL to feel the heat and humidity was like going to a spa. I love going on cruises in the winter where the only time I have to think about ice is when I order my next froo froo drink. When I become Queen of the Universe, I'm going to be able to leave the "frozen tundra" any time I want to. :D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

darl, actually, hip fractures are vey rare in skiing. The most common skiing injury is a blown ACL (we took a class to learn how to avoid that) and second is gamekeepers' thumb (I've had that, but with OT, am back to normal). We're pretty good skiers (not experts) and usually know our limits--hopefully, that will also apply to knowing when it's time to quit for good.

Oceania is our cruiseline of choice, and we like cruises, but we'd also like to rent an apartment in a foreign city for a month at a time and get to know a place a little better.

We are from central prairie Canada where it can get bitterly cold. Last Jan-Feb we took our first cruise. It stormed while we were gone, roads were blocked, and school buses didn't run. We snorkelled in the Cayman Islands, shopped in Jamaica, toured Tulum, ....and had lots more adventures. My DH dry, itchy skin cleared up. You bet we loved our cruise...so much so that we have another cruise booked for the end of January 2009.:D

I know summer cruises are probably just as much fun, but for us, we really look forward to our winter cruise to miss as much of the freezing weather as possible.

Also, we live on a lake and summers are kind of like living at a resort anyway. We hardly ever vacation in summer just for that reason.

I doubt if we'll cruise in summer unless it's a family cruise that all our kids and grandkids are going on.

darl, actually, hip fractures are vey rare in skiing. The most common skiing injury is a blown ACL (we took a class to learn how to avoid that) and second is gamekeepers' thumb (I've had that, but with OT, am back to normal). We're pretty good skiers (not experts) and usually know our limits--hopefully, that will also apply to knowing when it's time to quit for good.

Oceania is our cruiseline of choice, and we like cruises, but we'd also like to rent an apartment in a foreign city for a month at a time and get to know a place a little better.

Glad to hear you are aware of your physical limitations. We have also rented villas in many parts of the world, and I must agree that can be a fun thing to do.

We live in Massachusetts and have become hooked on cruising in February. It is so nice to fly from Boston and look down at the frozen snow covered ground and arrive in warm sunny Florida. I just love sitting outside on our balcony and just enjoying the sun on my face. It is such an nice break from the cold snowy weather, even if it is only for a week.

We cruise within the first two weeks of December. Being from Colorado and a retired construction worker, I've never had a hankering to spend my weekends playing in the snow and slop. After we cook Thanksgiving dinner for the family of 12 and decorate for Xmas and the associated dinner for the gang, it's great to get out of town and into the sun for a few days before the next round of festivities. The real fun starts as soon as we get to the airport. I don't take winter wear on the cruise with me. You cant believe the reactions and comments when I stroll in to the terminal during a cold, snowy, blustery morning in an aloha shirt, shorts (a terrible sight at my age) and flip-flops. It's a chilly trip but worth it. Winter cruising is wonderful.

Archived