Can you tell me about Flounders Reef?

megustamex

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old who I would like to take on a Disney cruise next year. The 1 year old (would be almost 2) would have to go in the Flounder's Reef nursery. What is this experience like? He refuses to be left at the gym daycare, but they don't do a lot of one-on-one to make the kids comfortable. Do the counselors interact with the kids a lot and get them involved, make them happy?

Flounder's Reef is UNLIKE the Oceaneer's Club/Lab in that there are no structured activities. It's essentially an open drop off/pick up day-care type setting. There are lots of toys all around the perimeter of the rooms, some cribs, a TV w/Disney movie playing.

The counselors are on a very low child-to-counselor ratio, so they have a lot of time to interact with your kids.

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

My DS LOVED Flounders! He was about 20 months on our cruise, and he would literally run when we got close to the door, right INTO the nursery.

The women working in there were just fantastic; really the right people for that job. I would go by for a sneak peek (there is a one way mirror) and they were never not sitting on the floor playing / interacting with the kids. If there was a fussy baby, he/she got plenty of love & cuddles (even saw one of the CMs rocking and singing to a baby).

My niece was about 5 months and did great in there too.

And as a side note, you can bring the younger one to play in the Oceaneers Club as long as you are with him. I also had a 3 year old, so it was nice that both could go play for a bit together (I was in the room, but just sort of left them to go play together).

You can make your 10 hours of reservations ahead of time, and after the first day you can pick up as many additional hours as you need. On our 7 day cruise, I rarely ran into trouble getting additional time when I needed / wanted it. Even if they said they were full, I would sometimes walk by to see if there were no-shows and many times there were.

And as a side note, you can bring the younger one to play in the Oceaneers Club as long as you are with him. I also had a 3 year old, so it was nice that both could go play for a bit together (I was in the room, but just sort of left them to go play together).

Are there certain hours of the day you can do this, or is it pretty much anytime? Carnival allowed us to do this on our last cruise from 12 - 2 on Sea Days Only.

Thanks!

Ok my memory is already a bit shaky on this, so don't take it for Gospel...

Meals - I think they served lunch on port days to the kids in Flounders. I don't remember about dinner though.

Oceaneers Club - I am pretty sure it was any time you could bring the little ones in at any time the club was open (though not sure about times they are at a meal...not sure if the club is open still?)

Archived