Diet needs/Heart healthy on HAL

azalice

My DH is normally using a "heart healthy" type of diet - meaning low fat,

low cholesterol, low sodium. It is easy to deal with some of the elements such as lower cholesterol and fats, but more difficult to figure out how much salt is being used in some recipes on cruise ships. In your experience, can HAL provide those types of meals and have them be delicious. He has to live with my cooking (which pretends to be cooking) daily, but might order such a diet from HAL if he thinks it will be good.

My DH is normally using a "heart healthy" type of diet - meaning low fat,

low cholesterol, low sodium. It is easy to deal with some of the elements such as lower cholesterol and fats, but more difficult to figure out how much salt is being used in some recipes on cruise ships. In your experience, can HAL provide those types of meals and have them be delicious. He has to live with my cooking (which pretends to be cooking) daily, but might order such a diet from HAL if he thinks it will be good.

Try to think of every little item you need, for example you would think a low fat salad dressing would be a no brainer, it is in fact such a problem that I grabbed the little packets I found of one of my favorites and will be bringing them on board. In the Neptune Lounge I have to request non-fat milk for my coffee since the standard there is cream or whole milk...

I'm diabetic so have to watch the carbs and fat and it can be a little difficult...

Their "normal" food is often very salty (too much for my taste!). And as you know, when you eat out, it's a risk--people just don't think it through. I have friends who are vegetarian, but they're often offered "vegetarian" options that have chicken stock (But it's not meat! is the response), gelatin, etc. And if something is listed as low-fat, it is likely very high in sodium and/or sugar, and vice versa. My big beef is the hidden sugars in things. It's amazing how little most of the world knows about nutrition. You would think that people in the food industry would be more knowledgeable.

On a related note, Splenda now has these little tablets (kind of like the old saccharin tablets). Much easier to take with you. (I think HAL just has the pink stuff).

HAL has the Splenda but it can be very, very hard to find! I always carry my own for just that reason...

Does anyone know if they have the little flavored coffee creamers? I never use them but had a client ask about them the other day...

HAL has the Splenda but it can be very, very hard to find! I always carry my own for just that reason...

Does anyone know if they have the little flavored coffee creamers? I never use them but had a client ask about them the other day...

No -- HAL does not have the little flavored coffee creamers.

I'm sure you mean low saturated fat diet, right? You know he should be having 'good fats'.

If he has olive oil and vinegar on his lunch salad, he will be eating heart healthy assuming he makes good choices at Lido salad bar. He knows cole slaw and mayonaise salads are high saturated fat and not heart healthy. But, canola, olive and peanut oil are healthful.

There is salmon offered every night on the dinner menu as well as grilled chicken breast and steak. Of course, he can order that salmon or chicken on evenings he is unsure about other menu choices.

HAL has a large selection of cold cereal choices but they have a few with relatively high fiber so he can choose Complete or All Bran , skim or soy milk, sliced banana and he had a sensible breakfast. They have egg beaters so an omellete with whichever veggies he likes is a good choice. Hot cooked oatmeal available every day.

My point is he doesn't need 'special help' or 'special menu' to eat heart healthy. He needs to make good choices. HAL offers an abundance of healthful foods. Lots of fresh fruits, plenty of veggies, good salad bar with ample good heart healthy choices. High fiber, low saturated fat, good grains/whole wheat, lots of fruit and veggies. It isn't difficult IMO

We cruise a lot of days each year and I eat a very heart healthy diet so I am well aware of what HAL offers and what I select from. I never have a problem.

In the case of heart healthy eating, I don't know what it is you would be requesting the ship should be expected to provide different than their regular menu. For celiacs, yes. For folks withs special allergies, they have to know if certain ingredients are in a given dish. For a lifelong heart healthy diet, you order the same appropriate foods you eat at home or order at restaurants at home, don't you? We know most soups on ships have a lot of salt. You don't order soup. You have a salad with olive oil and vinegar. You know something like macaroni and cheese is loaded with saturated fat. You don't order it. You have roast chicken. Right?

I have never had a need for 'special' anything in order to stay with my healthy way of eating on HAL ships. It's up to me to make good choices.

At least, that is how I look at it and I need a heart healthy diet for sure! ;)

Fake salt can add a lot of potassium.

Perhaps that is okay for him but not for all heart patients.

He needs to eat cautiously IMO He knows the hidden traps where salt is sometimes heavily used. Soups should be avoided, I'm sure he doesn't eat sauces such as bernaise so it shouldn't be a problem, veggies can come plain steamed.....

I take personal responsibility and order carefully to avoid traps where I know high fat and salt can hide.

He may want that bolognese sauce on white pasta, but, can't have it if he wants to avoid salt. He has to say No thank you.

That is the way I manage my healthful eating.

The only help I need is for healthy foods to be available and offered and that is the case on all HAL ships.

This is a way of eating for the rest of my life. The choices and responsibilities are mine to make, in my view. I don't expect others to have to take responsibility for what I can do myself. I'm sorry to be so direct and blunt but that is the way I see it. I cannot fool around with maybe they'll do this or that for me. I do for myself and it works.

On a related note, Splenda now has these little tablets (kind of like the old saccharin tablets). Much easier to take with you. (I think HAL just has the pink stuff).

HAL offers more than "the pink stuff". Besides Sweet and Low, they also offer Equal and Splenda.

In real sugar they offer refined white, and brown Sugar in the Raw.

btw---Equal also has the tablets.

The only problem I see is with the salt. It would e good to know if he could get less salt or fake salt for his food. Sometimes they really overdo.

I walk in the grocery store most AMs for the exercise, & do much of the shopping. Since I am on a very mild 'keep the salt down' warning from my Dr., as well as not liking a salty taste, I have read a lot of labels.:cool: HORRORS!:eek: Cans that DW & I would consider 2 servings say "servings 3.5" and each serving contains 40% of the daily requirement of salt!

Some of the posters here have more disipline than I, but I'm trying.:)

I've read some disturbing things about the effects of artificial sweeteners, cutting down on real sugar isn't as difficult as changing some other habits.:cool:

I appreciate the responses. I agree that the responsibility of healthy eating is ours. But when some on the boards were talking about special diets, I thought I would ask whether heart healthy diets are often requested/experienced. I do think some so-called healthy diets miss the point on sodium however. They might have"healthy menus" but those menus really mess up with too much salt. Well, DH has now said to leave the subject alone. He will deal with the issue when the menu is in his hands.

I fully understand the sodium issue. What I am saying is you do not order dishes that you know HAS to have way too much salt. To order soup on a cruise ship is to guarantee you are ingesting more than a day's worth of sodium in that one cup of soup. You skip the soup and order salad.

Believe me, with my heart history, (about which I've written more than anyone wants to know :D ) I am very cognizant about keeping salt intake low! I use my common sense,

I stay away from all the obvious 'trap foods' which are many on a ship.

Order grilled salmon, chicken breast, salads...... There is plenty to choose from but certainly there are some things you will simply have to skip. Have tuna fish instead of a hot dog. Have steamed veggies instead of delmonico potatoes. I'm sure you know all this.

I signed up for the low salt diet a few years ago - it all depends on the chef's idea of what low salt is - I use no salt at all in cooking but substitute herbs instead. On HAL they took out the salt but put nothing in to replace it so the food was very bland and almost tasteless.

Because the steamed vegies were not fresh they had no taste unless I added butter.

Gave up on the low salt after a while and just chose what I knew would fit my diet. Giving up soups was hard but made a big difference.

I think that next time I cruise I will bring flax seed oil for the salads and

a package of mixed herbs to sprinkle on the steamed vegies.

azalice - when you do register for a low salt diet they bring you the next day's menu after dinner so that you can make your choices and they can prepare the dishes with low or not-salt. That can be helpful - if they would only add some herbs instead it would be perfect!

I appreciate the responses. I agree that the responsibility of healthy eating is ours. But when some on the boards were talking about special diets, I thought I would ask whether heart healthy diets are often requested/experienced. I do think some so-called healthy diets miss the point on sodium however. They might have"healthy menus" but those menus really mess up with too much salt. Well, DH has now said to leave the subject alone. He will deal with the issue when the menu is in his hands.

If we ever meet, I KNOW I will like your husband!:) I also would like almost anyone else that like Show Low, AZ, what a beautiful place!:D (At certain times of the year:cool: .)

Archived