Will Solstice bring chair hogging to a new level

dkjretired

I looked at the great photos of Solstice in the article by Cruise Critic. (See sticky above) A new feature around the pool will be cabana's and I was wondering who get them, are they reserved for someone or do you go out at 7:00A.M. and throw a couple of books in the cabana.

I looked at the great photos of Solstice in the article by Cruise Critic. (See sticky above) A new feature around the pool will be cabana's and I was wondering who get them, are they reserved for someone or do you go out at 7:00A.M. and throw a couple of books in the cabana.

this could bring some controversy here. be careful.

firstly, i am not sure which ones you're talking about...the "bed" type things enclosed by the tarps or just the chairs underneath these tarps around the top pool deck. i personally am not sure, but i would not be surprised if celebrity would have guests pay a premium for any of them. they are nice seats, but honestly not the kind i'm looking for. if everyone wants to argue for the seats in the shade, fine by me, i want the ones in the sun. however i saw some photos of some "bed" like things covered on another deck, they also may be reservable. i personally hope these are the seats everyone wants because i want the uncovered ones that will get sun from 8-5.

and as far as going at at 7 AM and "throwing a couple books in the cabana" -- you'll find many people here in which that would flare up an angry response. i would think if you want one of those and they're not reservable or you do not pay extra for them, you need to stake your claim early and really not leave it for more than a few minutes. it seems those seats are gaining early interest from cruisers and may actually be the ones more in demand, contrary to what i originally thought. if you want one and they're not extra cost, most likely if you leave it for more than a few minutes someone will come around saying they want that chair before one in the sun.

Where are all of the normal deck going to go? When you look at the pictures of the cabanas and the H2O zone, there doesn't seem to be that much room for chairs. I only see about 6-8 feet between the pool and the cabanas. That can't possibly be the space for chairs. This won't bring chair hogging to a new level since there will only be 50 chairs on the deck. Check out the pictures

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=746

Where are all of the normal deck going to go? When you look at the pictures of the cabanas and the H2O zone, there doesn't seem to be that much room for chairs. I only see about 6-8 feet between the pool and the cabanas. That can't possibly be the space for chairs. This won't bring chair hogging to a new level since there will only be 50 chairs on the deck. Check out the pictures

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=746

unfortunately i cannot go view the photos right now, but i am not sure if the ones you have posted are renderings are not. there has been concern that pool area of a ship this size will not be large enough to accommodate so many people but i am sure there will be more than 50 chairs on deck. there also will be another higher deck that will have more chairs on it. some may actually prefer them. "chair hogging" may be a problem but i'm sure celebrity will enforce a policy and have deck attendants around policing it. in essence, don't leave your chair for more than 30 minutes or it's gone.

as long as people show consideration for others and NOT try to save chairs and only use them when they are physically present there should not be a problem.. I was on the Constellation in March and watched a couple use 4 chairs, 2 in the sun and 2 which they put there personal stuff on in the shade and they kept alternating between them. This is where I draw the line on people being rude and obnoxious. going out to the deck at 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning and putting you stuff on the lounges and then not showing up for two hour later is selfish.

Don - There was information at one time that Celebrity was going to be providing Pavillion beds at a cost. I cannot locate this release, it was quite some time ago, but in looking at the photos, it looks like X might have solved the chair problem with this concept of pay for seating. Of course they have created a whole new set of issues too.:D

(P.S. I'll keep looking for the info....)

i'm not worried about it anymore. knowing me i'll get the spot i want. i'll scope it out when we first get on the ship and decide which spots will be best for me to sit. finished photos with deckchairs will also be a big help. i'll just have to get up early enough. don't mind it, i'll be at the gym anyway.

That's fine with me! It has been a huge PITA to try to even walk to put your feet into the pool with the cramming of the chairs.

Me too! I liked Galaxy and Mercury because of the deck space one deck up from the jogging track. It was always quiet up there and more breeze which suited me. Perhaps there'll be a secret spot like that on Solstice/Equinox. Otherwise it's the balcony for me. Never was a great lover of the pool deck.

Phil

HAL has cabanas on the pool deck of the new Eurodam and charges for them, on a daily or weekly basis. A lot of the HAL regulars on CC have been complaining about them as they take up valuable space on a ship with an extra deck of cabins from the older Vista ships and no additional common area (typical Carnival policy for the last 7 years.)

The Solstice holds 2800 pax vs 2400 for the E-dam and comes in at 122,000 GRT vs 88,000 or so GRT for the E-dam. So the X ship will be far more spacious.

Me too! I liked Galaxy and Mercury because of the deck space one deck up from the jogging track. It was always quiet up there and more breeze which suited me.

Phil

I love that upper deck for the same reason. Unfortunately, on the Solstice most of it seems covered by those large tarps. I am no Goddess of the Sun but I don't want shade all day either.

Perhaps Celebrity should put parking meters on the deck chairs. Your shipboard card will allow you to reserve the chair for 1-1 1/2 hours. Then the meter turns red and the pool cops come around and give tickets to those who have overstayed their allotted time. You want to stay longer, then pay your fine. Give everyone a chance to share the chairs. Why should grownup, civilized people fight over deck chairs? There must be more important things worth worrying about - disease in Africa, genocide in Darfur, poverty and lack of adequate health care in the US. The fines collected by the pool cops could be contributed to some worthy causes that help solve these problems.

Hey if a chair is empty and the people around it tell me, nobody has sit in it for over 30 or 35 minutes, I don't care if they have left a book or whatever in it, I will dump their stuff and take it.

:rolleyes:

I will let the staff deal with the argument if it comes to that.

Hey if a chair is empty and the people around it tell me, nobody has sit in it for over 30 or 35 minutes, I don't care if they have left a book or whatever in it, I will dump their stuff and take it.

:rolleyes:

I will let the staff deal with the argument if it comes to that.

Yeah but if that chair is a paid for chair, boy are YOU in trouble.;)

When will these cruise lines ever ask people what the pool decks should look like rather than asking for input on stateroom design?

The amount of free space around the main pools keeps disappearing. The Solstice seems to take it one step further by removing even the seating area on the floor above the pool where you go once there is no more room on the pool deck.

Those stupid cabanas will also shade what little sunbathing area there is on the pool deck.

Maybe Celebrity is trying to look out for all of us and keep us out of the sun by not providing any sunbathing areas.

I know that the ship is larger, but I don't want to have to venture to the far flung areas of the upper part of the ship to find sun and a chair. Oh, I forgot that they will tell us that we can't pull up a chair on the grass!

Archived