How is the Oasis selling ?

I think it sold very well when it opened ... the real test will be ... will sales be retained when it comes time for final payment. I think some people may start thinking twice, especially on the pricey early sailings, when that final bill comes due.

How many people are going to pony up $3000 for an inside closet?

And how popular will those high-end suites going for $10,000, $15,000 and more be? If I wanted to pay that much, there are more exclusive vacations we could do.

I think they are pricing themselves out of the market and will eventually have to lower prices because longer term (after the new-ness effect wears off), people are just not going to see the value in paying so much more for itineraries that are not unique, and an experience which is akin to a floating city. Most folks can get that by staying right at home.

I can go to the real Central Park any day of the week for the cost of subway fare.

Howard

I agree with you on the high end cabins but we went for the standard balcony, we ended up almost dead center and it was less then $1000 PP which I found very reasonable. I do believe some of the higher priced cabins like the junior suites are overpriced but never even looked at them since there is so much to see and do on Oasis we felt a standard balcony would be perfect for us.

I believe supply and demand will dictate pricing on those higher end cabins. I do believe the loft suites will always sell out but if I were going to spend that kind of money I much rather go to Italy and have one hell of a good time.

I find it interesting that on the inaugural sailing the inside cabins are more than the outsides and only $100 less than a balcony.

Yes I noticed that yesterday also. I think this only started happening in the last day or so. I am guessing the outsides arent selling as well as the insides. So perhaps later there will be some bargains to be had for those who like outside cabins.

Right now, it's new.. it's "cool" and exciting to have a cruise booked on the Oasis. Let's see what % of these end up going through with the final payments.

Personally, I would LOVE to be on the Oasis, but I'm goign to have to wait for pricing to come down. For less money, I get 1 more port of call on the Freedom of the Seas out of Canaveral (Western).

AS far as suite prices.. it's all about supply and demand. Heck anyone who pays for a GS, or OS, or higher on the existing ships probably doesn't care much about the money they are spending. I cannot understand the reasons, but I know that's just me. Why spend $10k on a Grand Suite when I can cruise twice in a JS, or Balcony for the same price.. again, that's just me. :cool:

And how popular will those high-end suites going for $10,000, $15,000 and more be? If I wanted to pay that much, there are more exclusive vacations we could do.

I think they are pricing themselves out of the market and will eventually have to lower prices because longer term (after the new-ness effect wears off), people are just not going to see the value in paying so much more for itineraries that are not unique, and an experience which is akin to a floating city. Most folks can get that by staying right at home.

I can go to the real Central Park any day of the week for the cost of subway fare.

Howard

That's exactly what I thought. I love cruising, but I don't go on a cruise in order to reflect a land based vacation with grass and trees. I don't mind some additional amenities to do while on board, but I think Oasis is over the top.

Actually when they first came out with this new class of ship, I was highly disappointed in the final results. If I wanted all of that stuff, I would just book a land based vacation. I think prices are bound to come down especially next year.

I do believe some of the higher priced cabins like the junior suites are overpriced but never even looked at them since there is so much to see and do on Oasis we felt a standard balcony would be perfect for us.

The JS price on the Oasis is sick. It would cost $7,800 for my fam of 4 to get one for our sailing and I am not even on the inaugural.

This is the first time in a while that I have refused to do a suite. So we'll see when those final payment come due...$7,800 is a hard pill to swallow...so let's see if the prices drop.

Actually pricing for October 2010 sailings are very good. lowest balcony on deck 8 is only $989. Try and find a balcony for that price on another RCI ship let alone it newest ship.

Right now, it's new.. it's "cool" and exciting to have a cruise booked on the Oasis. Let's see what % of these end up going through with the final payments.

Personally, I would LOVE to be on the Oasis, but I'm goign to have to wait for pricing to come down. For less money, I get 1 more port of call on the Freedom of the Seas out of Canaveral (Western).

AS far as suite prices.. it's all about supply and demand. Heck anyone who pays for a GS, or OS, or higher on the existing ships probably doesn't care much about the money they are spending. I cannot understand the reasons, but I know that's just me. Why spend $10k on a Grand Suite when I can cruise twice in a JS, or Balcony for the same price.. again, that's just me. :cool:

It's not just you. I totally agree with you.

Howard

The prices are high for the inaugural, not for every sailing. People who want to be on the first few sailings are willing to pay a lot more to do it. The prices start coming down with Jan 2010 cruises. It appears that all of the suites are sold out for two of the first three cruises so obviously they have not priced themselves out of the market.

Yes you can go to the real central park on the subway, I think Oasis will be a lot better than the NYC subway.

Howard

I agree, totally. What I wonder about is what happens during hurricane season if/when those specific islands are unreachable. It's not as if the Oasis can be diverted to an alternate port....and tendering 5200 people would be impossible.

I forsee a lot of 7-days at sea or 7-day cruises to nowhere.......and a lot of complaints........

Howard

Well I have a Boardwalk balconey for around $2500, but it is 4 weeks after the inaugural, so the prices depend on the season, not all are that bad. And considering we do book PR cabins often, the CP was something we considered.

Oasis will visit Labadee on it's Western route, so does that mean they will have a pier big enough for it there? As G'ma points out, tendering 5,000+ people will be (nearly) impossible.

RCI is building a new pier at Labadee that will be able to handle the Oasis and her sister. Also, the comment about hurricanes is no different than any other large ship. If a storm is approaching the eastern Caribbean then the ship simply switches to the western. Ships do it all the time including ships the size of Freedom OTS. I would also be willing to bet that almost any port would give Oasis and Allure priority docking over the smaller ships to get all of those passengers ashore. More folks to spend money. I see no issues at all but then I don't have an agenda like some that post about the Oasis who would rather see this ship fail. :rolleyes:

Archived