Best line for 2, 3 year olds - and us!

megustamex

We have pretty much decided on a Disney cruise - but then we keep going over these other options (and some of them are decidedly less expensive) and are so confused! I have a soon to be 2 year old and a 3 (almost 4) year old , my husband and myself. Can anyone offer any advice?

Disney - great fun for all of us. We all love all things Disney. 3 year old can do kids club, 2 year old can do Flounder's Reef. I'm concerned that he might not have that much fun in the daycare environment of Flounders Reef vs. a kids club though. Expensive.

Carnival - not our style of boat - the party ship - but I like the idea of the 2 and 3 year old being together in the kids club. Just not sure what my husband and I will like about the ship. Also, if the kids hate the club what will we all do together (vs. Disney that has so many things we are interested in doing together?).

Celebrity - this is the ship we want to go on - especially the Solstice. But only my 3 year old could do the kids club. And there isn't even a pool for my 2 year old. Appears that there is nothing for us all to do together on the ship.

Help!

As you can see, I just made this same decision. As I posted... we went with NCL because of its new, expanded kids club. (and for you they take 2 year olds:))) We love disney, but did not want pay that much again! (And the kids did like the NCL star just as much) I think I would just go for a line that takes 2 year olds in there program....it will give you a much need break.

Disney is great for kids, and a favorite at our house. However, NCL is a great cruise line for famililes. Freestyle dining makes dining with kids so easy. The kids crews are great and seem so much less crowded. We felt our kids got more one on one interaction with the crew. On both the Dawn and Spirit the kids pool areas(which are awesome)were never crowded. I'm not bashing Disney, we have been Disney fans for many years, I just found the kids areas too crowded and the cruise seem less relaxing. Have a great cruise. Janice

• 2 weeks later...
As you can see, I just made this same decision. As I posted... we went with NCL because of its new, expanded kids club. (and for you they take 2 year olds:))) We love disney, but did not want pay that much again! (And the kids did like the NCL star just as much) I think I would just go for a line that takes 2 year olds in there program....it will give you a much need break.

We are going on the Star 2/09. DD is going to be 3.5. Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated! I am a bit nervous to be on a 7 day cruise with DD.

On the other hand, I really wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure the cruise line you go with has a program for kids your kids ages. The cruise lines as a whole do a great job with all the kids programs. Carnival does excel at this with Camp Carnival. Not all Carnival ships are "party" ships either. It depends on the length and time of year. Most of their party ships are 3-5 night cruises. We have also found that Royal, Celebrity,and Holland do a great job for kids as well...and I am sure Disney is fantastic. But with Disney, you are going to pay the price of 2-3 cruises with someone else, so keep that in mind.

Cruising is great everywhere, so don't stress too much about it.

If you have never done a Disney ship, it's nice to do once while the kids are little.

But it is chaotic at times on those ships. The pools during sea days, packed to overflowing. The Pirate Party, stay to the back with the little ones because there is just a crush of adults trying to get as close to the stage as possible. And the character lines - long. They move fast but they ARE long. Most of the time, my kids just said "No" and we moved on...lol.

I have said this before, we would not pay a premium to do Magic and Wonder again. The prices coming out for those ships are astronomical. We will wait till the new Disney ships comes out.

With that being said. Camp Carnival was fabulous for my youngest when she was 2 and 3. I didn't love the ships...but we were on the older Carnival ships.

Our favorite ships are now RCCL Freedom class. Which I'm sure will be replaced by Oasis class in 2010. :)

I am a member of the DisBoards and even the most loyal Disney cruiser is straying away from Disney ships with the release of the new prices.

But I guess if you are going to do it, now's the age to go.

We did the NCL Pearl with a 2, 4, and 6 yo. We loved NCL and the Pearl. My 2 yo did not take well to the kids club though and only went a couple of times. He is not use to being left (I stay home with him and he's not in preschool yet). I thought since his 4 yo brother was in the same age grouping that he'd do okay. The 4 and 6 yo loved the kids club.

We have pretty much decided on a Disney cruise - but then we keep going over these other options (and some of them are decidedly less expensive) and are so confused! I have a soon to be 2 year old and a 3 (almost 4) year old , my husband and myself. Can anyone offer any advice?

Disney - great fun for all of us. We all love all things Disney. 3 year old can do kids club, 2 year old can do Flounder's Reef. I'm concerned that he might not have that much fun in the daycare environment of Flounders Reef vs. a kids club though. Expensive.

Carnival - not our style of boat - the party ship - but I like the idea of the 2 and 3 year old being together in the kids club. Just not sure what my husband and I will like about the ship. Also, if the kids hate the club what will we all do together (vs. Disney that has so many things we are interested in doing together?).

Celebrity - this is the ship we want to go on - especially the Solstice. But only my 3 year old could do the kids club. And there isn't even a pool for my 2 year old. Appears that there is nothing for us all to do together on the ship.

Help!

I love the Carnival cruises... I don't know what the "fun ship" difference is... but the kids programs are great, we leave in a week and I'm more excited for the kids than for me. They take them at 2. I am not a "party goer," nor am I much of a drinker. Carnival cruises are generally much less expensive -- when cruising with a family, that helps a lot, and I've read from several families who have cruised Disney and Carnival that the kids program at Carnival was better for them. I definitely want to do a Disney cruise with the kids, but not until they are much older... right now, the smaller groups on Carnival and the hands on staff will be much better for us. They are so careful with the kids they wouldn't even let me stick my head in the door on our last cruise on the Ecstacy to look around and see what it was like for when I DID bring my kids on another time. If you're not a parent, you are NOT getting in. I like that. :)

I don't think you're going to get that "party" atmosphere unless it's Spring Break or a "busy time." We cruise when it's NOT busy for that purpose... I don't care which line you're on... busier times are crazier. I like the quiet.

I love the Carnival cruises... I don't know what the "fun ship" difference is... but the kids programs are great, we leave in a week and I'm more excited for the kids than for me. They take them at 2. I am not a "party goer," nor am I much of a drinker. Carnival cruises are generally much less expensive -- when cruising with a family, that helps a lot, and I've read from several families who have cruised Disney and Carnival that the kids program at Carnival was better for them. I definitely want to do a Disney cruise with the kids, but not until they are much older... right now, the smaller groups on Carnival and the hands on staff will be much better for us. They are so careful with the kids they wouldn't even let me stick my head in the door on our last cruise on the Ecstacy to look around and see what it was like for when I DID bring my kids on another time. If you're not a parent, you are NOT getting in. I like that. :)

I don't think you're going to get that "party" atmosphere unless it's Spring Break or a "busy time." We cruise when it's NOT busy for that purpose... I don't care which line you're on... busier times are crazier. I like the quiet.

I agree with the above poster. I dont think you would be dissapointed with the newer Carnival ships or even some of the recently refurbished. We have sailed 6 times with DD who is 3. Once on RCCL and 5 times on Carnival. We have never experienced the "party" atmosphere although we take 5-7 day cruises only. I did have a friend who took her child on a 4 day and said it was very much party like. The newer ships for 7 day cruises are comparable to RCCL and the recently refurbished ones have the water parks for kids. We always have an enjoyable "family" vacation ad for the price you can sail 3x compared to Disney. We are going to do Disney but DD is still faraid of the characters up close so we will wait until she is older.

Julie

My 20 month old LOVED going to Flounders! The CMs working in there were definitely made for that job. They get down on the floor with the kids; I did see one CM rocking and swinging to a fussy baby...just gave me the warm and fuzzies about the place.

Oh, and if you want the kids to play together, as long as the 2 yo is supervised, he/she can play in the Oceaneer's Club too.

I agree with the above poster. I dont think you would be dissapointed with the newer Carnival ships or even some of the recently refurbished. We have sailed 6 times with DD who is 3. Once on RCCL and 5 times on Carnival. We have never experienced the "party" atmosphere although we take 5-7 day cruises only. I did have a friend who took her child on a 4 day and said it was very much party like. The newer ships for 7 day cruises are comparable to RCCL and the recently refurbished ones have the water parks for kids. We always have an enjoyable "family" vacation ad for the price you can sail 3x compared to Disney. We are going to do Disney but DD is still faraid of the characters up close so we will wait until she is older.

Julie

. . . we too, have not found our cruises on Carnival to be the "party boat" atmosphere some people speak of. I will say my very first cruise on CCL 16 years ago had more of that flavor. Things have come along way since then! We find it to be a very family friendly vacation!

our almost 3 yo has been on celebrity (our line of choice before DS changed our lives), NCL, and carnival, I have had a lot of friends who have been on both Disney and RCCL- the only one I would not reccommend actually was NCL- the attendant did not get us his crib (he was around 15 mo at that time) until very late the first night, and did not get us his lifejacket until the 4th day out at sea,- although celebrtiy (and I hear RCCL) do not have a formal program for <3yo's, they did have a room in their child area where there were a lot of age appropriate toys that we could go and play with him. they also had a "treasure chest" of little toys we could sign out and bring back to our room. the putting range on deck-(I don't thinkany one else used it) was a constant toy for DS & DH

things to consider- ? how much time away from your child did you want/need? How does your child do with various sizes of crowds/ programs? ( big- think Disney, and probably any cruise line when school is out) smaller groups- think celebrity and off season.

are you willing to do in room babysitting for a special night out? ( NCL does not have one) and (probably the most important to me)- is there an easy drive to port?-if you drive, you can pack.......

Best of luck-

I've had a great time!!!!!

I hope you do too !!!!!!!!!!

Archived