Disney Cruise Line Tip Thread

Host Mick

• 3 weeks later...

My child has no summer hand-me-downs so planning ahead for an April cruise for her size has been exciting. To others with the same situation, many of the stores are slashing prices on summer items now, and won't have them available in the early part of next year, so get the good stuff now! Happy cruising!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Thank you for all your wonderful tips!

My daughters and I will be cruising for the first time September 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder...I wonder if my 12 year old will be allowed to go to the teen zone?

Also any tips on swimming with the dolphins?

Much appreciated!

Lise:)

Hi all

Thank you for all your wonderful tips!

My daughters and I will be cruising for the first time September 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder...I wonder if my 12 year old will be allowed to go to the teen zone?

Also any tips on swimming with the dolphins?

Much appreciated!

Lise:)

If you post your questions on the main forum page ( same page this link was on) Not the tip thread site, hundreds will see it and you will be more likely to get answers. Basically people only go here to read tips people post.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are my tips:

- If you have a child check them into the club/ lab one night and don't pick them up until the club/ lab closes at 1am. You will be amazed at what a 'magical' memory this is for them!

- Even if you don't want to use the childrens programme sign them up, get them banded and get a pager. This means if your child gets lost - any staff member will be able to page you.

- If you have a 12-year-old you may think it is best for them to be put in the teen programme. 99.9% of time this doesn't work. You will find that the other teens will ignore them (of course teens are too cool), they will feel uncomfortable or they will general struggle. Plus - would you want your child hanging out with 17 year-olds. Many 13 year-olds opt to be put into the Lab for this reason.

- Don't trust your kids with the charge card feature! Ask guest services to remove this or you will have a very large arcade bill!

- Check your kids into Youth Programming and head to the Cove Cafe, or a hot tub at night with your other half. Ensure you have time to 'relight' the flames of romance...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One thing that I have always done is copy any credit cards, passports, license, confirmations, etc and scan them and email them to my gmail account. That way in case they were to be lost or stolen at least you could get online and print them out to get the info you need instead of trying to reach someone back home to get it. I do take the copies with me but "just in case".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

boys mom- what night was the "friendship" show and practice in Oceaneers Lab? I read the show was at an inconvienent time/day, but worth it.... what night is it? We are on Magic 7 day in April. thanks!

momx4 grandmax4, Is there a way i could email you direction questions about DCL? I am going on the disney dream with my 11 yr old son in july and have so many questions. i see you post a lot and seem to know your stuff. there has been lots of talk about fish something and decorating doors but i still dont understand and i have questions about shore excurstions, pirate night, etc.

momx4 grandmax4, Is there a way i could email you direction questions about DCL? I am going on the disney dream with my 11 yr old son in july and have so many questions. i see you post a lot and seem to know your stuff. there has been lots of talk about fish something and decorating doors but i still dont understand and i have questions about shore excurstions, pirate night, etc.

You sure can and I am happy to help with what I can.

my e-mail is sixtoedfrog@yahoo.com

Be sure and put something like DCL questions on the subject line so I dont delete you. I dont open anything that I dont recognise.

Kathy

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info.... my family will be staying Saturday nite. What hotel do you recommond to stay at???

We like the Radisson. Its an older hotel but clean, nice pool and live tropical music in the evening around the pool area. Nice italian restuarant next door with great pizza and McDonlads is right across the street as well as their own restaurant. Thye have a shuttle to take you to the port if needed. Make a reservation when you check in for the shuttle. 5 minutes drive to the port.

If you want a new place Country inn and suites is nice too. You can google either place to read up on them.

Thanks for the info.... my family will be staying Saturday nite. What hotel do you recommond to stay at???

We stayed at the Residence Inn and it was nice. You can also leave your car there while you cruise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to sail on Dream in a week and a half. Saw a post about taking a pillowcase and waterproof markers to guest services and the characters will sign it and it will be delivered to your cabin the last night. Does anyone know if this is done on the Dream? I would like to surprise my 2 kids but don't want to pack the stuff needed if they do not offer this service. Thank you for the awesome tip!

Planning to sail on Dream in a week and a half. Saw a post about taking a pillowcase and waterproof markers to guest services and the characters will sign it and it will be delivered to your cabin the last night. Does anyone know if this is done on the Dream? I would like to surprise my 2 kids but don't want to pack the stuff needed if they do not offer this service. Thank you for the awesome tip!

Yes, I did it on the Dream. you are allowed to items per stateroom to be signed. Fabric Markers work best.

We are headed for our first cruise in Feb 2012. Our kids will be 6, 5 and 3 at the time of sailing. Are there other options other then the 8:15pm assigned seating? Thanks!

Yes there is. The buffet turns into a small sit down restaurant from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. all but the first and last night. Many people with young kids go there because it is much faster and more relaxed atmosphere.

You can also use room service. Food is free, tip extra.

Lots of food options around the pool area too.

Plus when you check in they give you a welcoem aboard paper and it will say when and where to go and make dinner reservations for palos or Remy's depending on which ship. You can also request a change in your dinner times at that place. They will do there best to get you to an earlier dinner time. Just tell them you have 3 small kids so late dinner would be really hard on them. Lots of people try to change dining times and many succeed.

Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished our Med cruise on the Magic, told breakfast was 06:45am Topsiders buffet closed at 08:00am and we were to be off the ship by 09:30am, the attitude of the staff that morning was like they couldn't wait to get rid of us and we should go as quickly as possible. Definitely not the same attitude as the Baltic cruise the year before.

Your cruise is not over until you leave the ship. The final morning, why race to get off? You go when you want, so unless you have an early flight to catch, stay in your cabin, sleep (relatively) late, and relax. I head to the buffet, load up a tray and take it back for my family. We enjoy a relaxing breakfast on the balcony, no rush, and walk off when we're ready...or they toss us off. Howard

Don't plan on relaxing on your last day if doing a Mediteranean cruise, breakfast at 06:45, Topsiders buffet closes at 08:00am and you have to be off the ship by 09:30am.

• 3 weeks later...
I have searched DCL website and can't find this answer..what are their "military" requirements?? I know that other cruise lines is retired (at 20 years), disabled veteran, honorable discharge with at least 2 years active or 6 month war service. Is DCL the same policy?? DH served 12 years active army and served in 3 wars and I know he would have to present his DD214 , which we have, so wondering if we qualify. I know they aren't offering ANY military discounts at the moment but would like to know for future offers..thanks guys!

There currently are no military offers available, but here are the requirements:

Military Rates

Special military rates are offered for Active and Retired members of the US Armed Forces Personnel in the following branches.

Activated members of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders. Active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify.

• Air Force
  • Marines
  • Army (including Army National Guard)
  • Navy
  • Coast Guard
  • Reservists (for all branches listed above)
  • 100% Permanently Disabled Veterans
  • Department of Defense, which includes:
    • FBI
    • CIA
    • National Security Agency (this does not include Homeland Security)
    • Secret Service

[*]Family members classified as 'active deceased'

[*]NASA Kennedy Space Center

[*]NASA Johnson Space Center

[*]Department of Health and Human Services

The active or retired military personnel must travel in order to receive this offer.

Military and Florida Resident rates are not available.

Is this because regular cruisers get an opportunity to book excursions before the rest? Is there somewhere that I can look to see a list of excursions for various ports?

Regular cruisers only get the first opp for dinner reservations. You can go on line and book excursions in advance. It is first come, first serve.