Disney Cruise Line Tip Thread

Host Mick

There is no Miss Manners for cruise passengers, but there are rules of etiquette that veteran cruisers should know and first-time cruisers should be aware of before stepping onboard a cruise ship.

Here are 10 ways to show you know proper cruise-ship etiquette.

1. Pay attention at the safety drill. Don't talk. Don't drink. Don't take photos. If there's a time to be serious on your cruise vacation, this is it.

2. Be spatially aware. You aren't the only one on the ship. If there is a line at the elevators and you can take the stairs, take them. If you're a slow walker, let the person behind you pass in the narrow cabin hallways. At the buffet, if you're alone at a table for six, consider sharing.

3. Avoid being a deck-chair hog. Reserving a deck chair for the whole day at the pool by leaving your stuff, even when you won't be there the whole time, is not considered courteous. Spend your time in the sun and then clear the space for someone else.

4. Don't save seats for your band of eight in the theater. Show up together to claim them en masse, or sit separately.

5. Make choices quickly at the buffet (it helps to take a look before you get in line). The buffet line is also not the time to lecture your child or quiz a chef about every ingredient in every dish. (If you have food allergies, you may be better off eating in the dining room where the crew can help track what you're served).

6. Check promptly that the luggage delivered to your room (or outside your door) is your own. You don't want to leave a fellow passenger panicking when you have their bag.

7. Keep your kids under control. Just because you are on a cruise ship doesn't mean you can stop parenting. The kids should not be running wild. Also, don't try to sneak youngsters into adults-only areas of the ship – such as the quiet pool, gym, hot tubs, or spa. Follow the age rules.

8. Talk quietly (no shouting) on cabin balconies and in cabin hallways. Your neighbors can hear you, including when you let your cabin door slam.

9. Arrive on time. When you are at an assigned table at a set time, it's uncool to keep your tablemates waiting. Even when you have your own reservation, being late throws the crew off their game. Arrive on time for shows, too.

10. Follow the dress code. Nothing gets the ire of fellow passengers more then when they follow the dress code – putting on a jacket or tie, for instance – and you blow it off, showing up in the dining room carefree in a Hawaiian shirt. If you want to go casual on a more formal night, head to the Lido buffet.

http://www.usatoday.com/experience/cruise/article/cruise-ship-etiquette-do-this-not-that/2936697/

• 2 weeks later...
Celebrated our 15 yr. Anniversary on the Fantasy West Caribbean Cruise. We are a young family couple with 2 daughters ages 9 and 5

It was actually a happy coincidence that the cruise line was also celebrating its 15years in business. What an amazing trip, the Disney service is beyond any type of service I have ever received and you definitely can tell that the crew members are well trained with an emphasis on fast, friendly service.

Even though we delighted in spending time with our daughters and created memories I will cherish for a lifetime, we also took advantage of the kids clubs and activities to give ourself time to enjoy the food and amenities for our Anniversary celebration. Starting with our first dinner at Remy a five star french inspired Restaurant it created the backdrop to what was going to be a truly magical week!

There were so many beautiful moments both on the ship and on our port adventures that I wanted capture it all. I love to film professional style footage of our family trips and make them look like great adventures through the eye of the lens. Even though I don't do this for a living I have created a small compilation with some great highlights of this amazing trip on the Fantasy. Hope you enjoy it, and look out for the Full version of the trip which also includes a day at Magic Kingdom.

Hope it gets you excited for your trip or makes you nostalgic like it makes me.

Enjoy!

Thats a pretty awesome video. What did you shoot it with?

• 2 weeks later...

We had a wonderful trip aboard the Dream from 10/20-10/24 EXCEPT for our wine/alcohol experience at Remy.

Long story short - the sommelier was rude and extremely inattentive. (It all started when we politely declined the pairings he suggested and wanted to order bottles and glasses of wine for each course.) In fact, my wife and I ended up having to share her glass of wine during our main course and it was in the middle of the next course before we requested him (again) and he finally made an appearance. Quite poor form all around.

Here's the advice: go to the bar situated between Remy and Palo the afternoon before your meal and request the wine menu and the evening menu. Make your bottle and glass selections and then enjoy your meal later! When the sommelier makes his grand entrance, let him know that you have pre-selected your wine choices. And if you need help - use the bar staff - they were far more helpful than the sommelier.

Nathan Fisk (nbfisk@gmail.com)

The ship's internet is unreliable (kicks you off!), S...L...O...W....and generally a pain.

If you are willing to take port time to be on line, may of the ports have free or low cost internet.

Examples--

St. Thomas...walk toward the chair lift entrance. Just before the ticket booth is an Asian restaurant. Unlimited, all day good internet is $3 without a purchase, free if you buy a meal.

Cozumel...Starbucks is right at the port. Buy anything and the internet code is on your receipt

St. Maarten--McDonald's has free interet

St. Croix--a 5 minute walk from port, the Budget car place/gift shop has 15 minutes free with a purchase, but there was no one else there and they let my daughter stay on as long as she wished. (yes, I know this is a once in a while port, but we went there on DCL)

Sorry, I know nothing about the internet locations in Nassau as we don't go there.

OK, so I had a teen who wanted to be on line; very different from someone needing to be on line for work or school, but I was not willing to pay the ship's charges! I watched our friend spend over $30 to check in with her airline 24 hours in advance. Made me glad that I'd asked my travel agent to do it for us!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We traveled with dd at 14 months, the week before Christmas, and again this year at 26 months, the week before Christmas, 6 and 7 night cruises.

We don't use the nursery. The staff was impressive, playful and nice, but it's not our thing. It's family vacation, time for daddy to spend with dd and time for us to spent together. We did go there for open house hours, my kid was crying cause we had to leave, the other were crying cause they were being left, lol (day 1). After that most kids had no issues going, and all seemed happy.

DD enjoyed the splash pad (magic and wonder) both years, the mickey pool this year (fully pt'd at 19 months-no swim diapers allowed).

We have plenty of time to relax! I suggest a balcony, but that's because I love them. This year, I put dd down for a nap in the 'princess bed' and dh would nap or play on the tablet while I explored, got coffee, looked at pictures, did whatever.

We go to MDR nightly for dinner, but only made the show the last night and that's because we rushed dinner and skipped dessert (they have two shows, but 830 is too late for our kid to be out like that). We tag team dinner, taking turns taking her during the waiting period, this is often when we'd do pictures!

Last year we had a diaper genie, this year we had a baby bojone (?) potty seat (LOVE IT-we even bought one for home now).

DD had a blast both years, while the first year she didn't remember anything, this year she's still talking about it (Go on my cruise ship mommy! or Daddy, another cruise peas!). She had a blast meeting the characters (we taught her who they were!)

They have toddler time and wake up with disney jr. Toddler time on the wonder was in the nursery. Wake up with Disney Jr. is singing/dancing. It's 9am or so on sea days only.

The open house hours were decent, but we rarely made them.

We do room service nightly-cheese and crackers plate, two mickey bars, whole milk, chocolate milk, warm cookies is standard, 2 nights I got the mac and cheese (my kid ate more than I did!). Dh and I take turns 'hiding' to eat the mickey bars and cookies (No, my 2 year old didn't get a mickey bar or cookie before bed). DD loved the different cheeses, her night time snack, and cow milk.

I suggest ordering some cereal and keeping a banana on hand for a 'need a snack NOW' moments and cereal is great to bring to ports for a snack.

The first year, I had LOTS of time to myself-I just didn't know how to relax, that's on me. I had time to go to quiet cove, order a coffee, read. I'd put dd to bed, dh would go watch a movie or whatever, I'd chill on the balcony with my Mickey bar. It was great.

This year, I had a 2 year old who felt rejected by me, so I didn't have as much time without her. But I did get to go see Frozen in 3d! Dh didn't get to see Thor since it wasn't playing the last two days, but he had the time.

We tag team dinner. and order fast. First year dh would take dd after dinner while I enjoyed dessert and coffee. so great. That only worked on the first night this year. On formal night (second night for us), we let dd have ice cream, thus she knew what was going on...opps.

We didn't use a pnp (dd never slept in one). We did use the 'princess bed' with a rail, though, I'll be honest the first year and this year dd just ended up in the bed with us.

I'm not brave enough to do the parks with a toddler/small child, too much work and planning and that really doesn't sound like fun to. The cruise was perfect! you can do or not whatever. You're room is right there if you need down time.

I suggest heading back to get ready for dinner early, let the little one just play or give quiet time. dd slept more and ate more on both cruises, though she was a bit more picky this year (she wasn't impressed with the food, we don't do 'kid' foods).

-that's really long, sorry.

• 1 month later...
I'm a seasoned RCCL/Celebrity cruiser, but 12/7 will be my first Disney cruise (Wonder, Miami, 5 Night Western Carrib stopping at CC and Cozumel), also my honeymoon.

Any tips?

Pack before your day at Castaway Cay.

By all means join a Roll Call and try to have a meeting as otherwise you won't meet any of the other passengers because Disney does not have different families eat together.

Pack before your day at Castaway Cay.

By all means join a Roll Call and try to have a meeting as otherwise you won't meet any of the other passengers because Disney does not have different families eat together.

Actually Disney will put other families together. You can request a table to yourselves though. They try to put you with similar families, like couples with couples and families with kids with other families with kids.

There were two of us - me and my granddaughter age 12

On two Disney cruises I had absolutely NO LUCK eating with other people. They wouldn't even seat us with other people at breakfast and lunch. The first cruise they did seat us with a family of five for dinner after I really insisted but the children were either a lot older (high school) or a lot younger (age 6). The second cruise they would not seat us with other people. She met no one of her age until we did the Roll Call meeting on the second cruise

She said the children's groups were either very young and she was ignored or the kids were all in cliques.

While a couple on their honeymoon wouldn't be that concerned with the children's groups, I think they might be surprised at not eating with a group at breakfast and lunch.

Edited by grandmaR

• 1 month later...

The worst thing about our cruise on the Disney Dream was waiting in line for the characters. You will need to bring your patience with you. The lines may not look terribly long, but we found that many people like to take more than their fair share of the characters' time. "Let little Bobby take a picture with Goofy. Now Bobby and Sally together. Now Grandma can join. Now one with just Grandma. Now one with Grandma and Grandpa.... and so on. We were surprised at the number of adults who got in line to greet the characters as well. In the Tinker Bell line, an adult woman in front of us spent about 10 minutes crying on Tinker Bell's shoulder (???) while young children cried and complained to exasperated parents that they were so tired of waiting. My daughter was also disappointed several times because she would see a character, then that character would leave before she could get a picture.

Disney is not good about moving people swiftly thru the character lines.

Sooo...

Find out when your kids' favorite characters are going to be somewhere and get there early.

Be patient.

Don't take up a lot of time when it is your turn. There are a lot of people who want to meet the characters, and young kids aren't known for their patience.

The worst thing about our cruise on the Disney Dream was waiting in line for the characters. You will need to bring your patience with you. The lines may not look terribly long, but we found that many people like to take more than their fair share of the characters' time. "Let little Bobby take a picture with Goofy. Now Bobby and Sally together. Now Grandma can join. Now one with just Grandma. Now one with Grandma and Grandpa.... and so on. We were surprised at the number of adults who got in line to greet the characters as well. In the Tinker Bell line, an adult woman in front of us spent about 10 minutes crying on Tinker Bell's shoulder (???) while young children cried and complained to exasperated parents that they were so tired of waiting. My daughter was also disappointed several times because she would see a character, then that character would leave before she could get a picture.

Disney is not good about moving people swiftly thru the character lines.

Sooo...

Find out when your kids' favorite characters are going to be somewhere and get there early.

Be patient.

Don't take up a lot of time when it is your turn. There are a lot of people who want to meet the characters, and young kids aren't known for their patience.

compared to the parks...the wait is very minimal on the ship in my opinion. And yes adults wait in line at the parks and on the ship. Characters are not just for kids.

One newer thing is you can no longer use the over the door show hanger. You will be fined if you use one.

What kind of tips are you looking for?

Hi jenseib I have followed your posting since the review you done on I think the Disney Dream ship and i must say it was excellent and very informative.

I have a question about this post if you don’t mind. I’m just wondering where you got your info on this. I have search Disney Web sight and have found nothing on it about this being a prohibit item. I know you post a lot and keep up with changes but this is a very useful item and I would hate to do a week without it on a cruise.

Can you tell me where to look to find this info. I was hoping to maybe hang it a different way because I know if it is hung wrong it can damage the top of doors.

Second what is this fine and do they say how much it is. If this is not showing up on their web sight how does people know they are not allowed now and will be fined if you use one. I wouldn't have known if not for this web sight.

Thanks for all the info you share on all sights.

• 1 month later...
Alot of these tips seem outdated. I am traveling on November. Can anyone give me some updated tips???

This thread was started 5 years ago. Would it maybe be beneficial to start a new more up to date tips thread so that newcomers don't have to sort through outdated advice?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi jenseib I have followed your posting since the review you done on I think the Disney Dream ship and i must say it was excellent and very informative.

I have a question about this post if you don’t mind. I’m just wondering where you got your info on this. I have search Disney Web sight and have found nothing on it about this being a prohibit item. I know you post a lot and keep up with changes but this is a very useful item and I would hate to do a week without it on a cruise.

Can you tell me where to look to find this info. I was hoping to maybe hang it a different way because I know if it is hung wrong it can damage the top of doors.

Second what is this fine and do they say how much it is. If this is not showing up on their web sight how does people know they are not allowed now and will be fined if you use one. I wouldn't have known if not for this web sight.

Thanks for all the info you share on all sights.

Sorry. I just saw this. (been super busy and was on vacation actually when you posted this)

Disney sent out an email when the rule changed. I think it was sometime in 2013 if I remember right. I know I used it on my 2012 cruise.

I also don't remember the fine off the top of my head anymore, but I think it is around $100.

if you can hang it in the closet on a hanger, you are ok, but nothing is allowed over the door anymore. (and I have heard of people being fined already)

Aha..I found it on their site here.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/stateroom-doors-prohibited/

This also lists what is prohibitted.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

Extension cords

Surge Protectors

Really? When did THIS come in?

I see I'm going to be pestering them to supply them for me, then - for starters, traveling with a CPAP pretty well requires an extension cord. :(

THIS ISN"T NEW ... it's been on the Disney for quite a long time! Here is the total list!

What items are not permitted on board?

A: In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

• Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances
  • Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons
  • Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
  • Non prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
  • Hookah pipes
  • Power Tools and Tool boxes (except those tools of the trade utilized by vendors providing services)
  • Sporting equipment (i.e., baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment.)
  • SCUBA equipment (i.e., tanks, spears guns /slings, dive knives, pry bar, and underwater scooter)
  • Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons
  • Bicycles, Segways, skateboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels, (i.e. Heely's type shoes)
  • Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.
  • Candles & Incense
  • DVD, VCR, or Blu ray players or, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo Wii gaming systems are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs
  • Musical instruments
  • Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)
  • Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable food items plus any open snack containers
  • Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using thesedevices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity
  • Personal fireworks or pyrotechnics
  • Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings
  • Liquid oxygen
  • Extension cords
  • Surge Protectors

The following items are permitted but with the following restrictions:

• Walkie-talkies and two-way radios (e.g., Motorola, JVC). Please be aware that the amount of steel in the ship's infrastructure may cause some "dead zones" and the radios may not transmit in these areas.
  • A small portable fan. However, please contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve the use of your particular appliance in the stateroom.
  • Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and flotation sewn into the bathing suit for safety. However, recreational floating devices such as floats, rafts and fun noodles cannot be brought on board and are not permitted in the pools or on Castaway Cay.
  • Golf clubs, as long as they are stored in your stateroom.

I see I'm going to be pestering them to supply them for me, then - for starters, traveling with a CPAP pretty well requires an extension cord. :(

Those are pretty new. I used to always take a surge protector with me too. But I hear they are taking them away so I didn't bother bringing one in March.

Actually I heard most of the popular lines are starting to put this in effect and enforcing it.

Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Carnival do not allow surge protectors or extension cords. You can add irons to this list.

Irons have always been on the banned list - I think curling irons and hairdryers also.

If they give me outlets so that I can plug in my scooter to recharge it and can use my computer and recharge the camera batteries, I would be OK with that. But they don't. There are never enough outlets and they aren't in appropriate places.

I was on Royal Caribbean in November 2013 and they didn't say a word about either item. I do unplug and put away the surge protector and the computer whenever I leave the cabin and I don't think I needed the extension cord there because the cabins are so tiny that I can't get the scooter in unless we have twin beds. I haven't been on Celebrity recently, and I guess the last Carnival cruise was 2011.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can get an extension cord and distilled water on board for your Cpap. You just have to let them know on your reservation ahead of time and get the cord on board at guest services. We have the Cpap also.

Disney magic (2)

Disney wonder(1)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...