Galveston Recovery

This is the beach area where my son is having his wedding in Feb...I took this about 3 weeks ago, and will take a new one of the progress when we go down next Sunday. This "new" ocean ON the beach is not a pretty site! But, Im having faith it will look much different in Feb! :D

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=71aa697d-359c-442b-b699-a864445b30b3&Aux=44|0|8CB10AB44476BB0|

photo.jpg

I can't see it either. What beach is it?

Wierd! LOL..I see the picture in your reply that you dont see it..I dont know what I did wrong. I took this picture on my iphone, and then emailed it to my email address and then copied it here...guess it only works for me to see.. sorry, I will try to figure out how to post it so that you CAN see. This is the beach area right down from Gaidos...

This is the beach area right down from Gaidos...

When I tried to view it from the link, it wanted a log in. Do you know how to use photobucket?

Anyways, have you looked at different beaches? I very rarely use beaches on the seawall because of aesthetics unless someone wants to get married on a jetty. The pictures of the bridal party walking down the isle always contain those weird painting things. There are a lot of secluded beaches that have drive up beach access that weather the storm well.

Wierd! LOL..I see the picture in your reply that you dont see it..I dont know what I did wrong. I took this picture on my iphone, and then emailed it to my email address and then copied it here...guess it only works for me to see.. sorry, I will try to figure out how to post it so that you CAN see. This is the beach area right down from Gaidos...

Perhaps the information in FAQ will help.

Click here: Attachments and Images

Hope this information will be satisfactory and wishing you lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Thanks Kat, but I uploaded this photo to my email (hotmail), and I cant figure out how to send from that. I have some photos in other areas, that Ive been able to post here by following those instuctions...so I will have to see if my hubby can figure it out for me, or maybe I can email it to someone that can do it for me.

This beach area may be Stewarts Beach. I know they have two areas that have the long walkway that has the white poles on each side leading down to the beach, with lots of parking. I want to say that there is some hotel kinda close to the second part. We are using Island Weddings, and its one of their main beaches for weddings. Its not ON the seawall, but further down. It WAS a beautiful beach area and kinda secluded. When we were there about 3 weeks ago, there was a group doing Yoga there. They are come out at sunrise..So, it was a very beautiful spot.

So, when I go down next Sunday, I hope to remember to take my camera so that I can upload it to my usual photo gallery.Maybe I can get some other shots as well. Dot

Where would you stay nearest the port for say under $150? We will be driving and would like free parking if it's available. We're cruising 1/18 on the Voyager and have never been to Galveston. Really looking forward to it. Sorry for all of the damage. We were in Katrina and Frederick so we know what you've been through. Thanks for all of the updates.

Thanks

You will have to stay on Seawall Blvd as no hotels are open downtown. Check out galveston.com for hotels.

The best hotels are the Galvez and San Luis, but there are 2 Holiday Inns and several others to choose from.

Hopefully most of the adjusters and emergency responders will be gone and more rooms will be available.

We just got back last Sunday (Nov 9). Before our cruise on the Conquest, we stayed overnight at the Guido's Seaside Inn on the seawall. We got a really fantastic rate, due to the hurricane I guess, they would have also keep our car for the cruise, though we had pre-paid with EZ cruise parking. We also had complimentary breakfast of pancakes, (yogurt, breakfast bars-pop tarts and juice was also offered).

We watched the Ecstasy leave @7:11 pm. that night, eager for our turn on the Conquest the next day!

I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised that our room was nice, on the second floor. They looked great all over, couldn't tell they had been through a hurricane. We had lunch at Casey's on Sat (yum!), then meet with fellow Cruise Critics (HI YA'LL!) at Shrimp & Stuff for lunch on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. You could see just a little bit of damage, but I had a great light lunch of salad & coleslaw and iced tea, before being allowed to board the ship that afternoon (I had chosen to eat light).

We could see much damage around town, piles of debris needing to be picked up, but looked better than I expected. It's good to see the progress they have made to get back to normal, though clearly that should take some time.

EZ Cruise Parking was ready for us, as well as the terminal.

We really enjoyed our stay in Galveston, and cruising the Conquest, especially. Had a GREAT time!!!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Where would you stay nearest the port for say under $150? We will be driving and would like free parking if it's available. We're cruising 1/18 on the Voyager and have never been to Galveston. Really looking forward to it. Sorry for all of the damage. We were in Katrina and Frederick so we know what you've been through. Thanks for all of the updates.

Thanks

We sometimes go to Galveston just for the weekend. We only live about 30 miles West of Galveston Island. We also like the Hotel Galvez, the San Luis, and the Hilton which is right next door to the San Luis. You will have to stay on the Seawall...all the downtown areas are still in recovery mode.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Resort for $129 they have free cruise parking and transportation to the cruise ship. We were originally going to stay at the Galvez but now they are charging for parking but they do have transportation as well.

Well, I finally did it. I could not makeup my mind on where to stay. I have a $100 off voucher from hotels.com but the Holiday Inns were not available when I went to book. I booked Moody Gardens. It is $149 plus free parking and shuttle and I have $100 back. So I think it worked out. I wanted to be on the beach but that's ok. Has anyone stayed at the Moody Gardens and did they like it?

Well, I finally did it. I could not makeup my mind on where to stay. I have a $100 off voucher from hotels.com but the Holiday Inns were not available when I went to book. I booked Moody Gardens. It is $149 plus free parking and shuttle and I have $100 back. So I think it worked out. I wanted to be on the beach but that's ok. Has anyone stayed at the Moody Gardens and did they like it?

You should not be dissapointed with Moody Gardens Hotel.

It is first class facility.

Go to Moody Gardens also:D while you are there.

see web site

The hotel is on the water and with good views all around.

Ask for higher up room.

It is 1 minute by car to Gulf beach.

The water bay side should be on north side of building

and the Gulf side on south side if i am correct.

When you check in ask to see rooms on both sides of the hotel. And enjoy. The resturant Shearns on top of Hotel is first class also.

Enjoy your stay!!!!!

Anybody know anything about the Howard Johnson Express on, I think it is Harbor Drive. I have reservations for February. Been calling the number, but have not gotten an answer. I have called the reservation number, but all they do is call the motel direct, with no answer. Big surprise. Am I calling the wrong people?

Galveston Cruiser,

I'm referring to the Holiday Inn Resort. DH and I have reservations for a pre-cruise stay at this Holiday Inn.

Is there any difference, pros/cons, between the two Holiday Inns on Seawall?

Thanks!

Anybody know anything about the Howard Johnson Express on, I think it is Harbor Drive. I have reservations for February. Been calling the number, but have not gotten an answer. I have called the reservation number, but all they do is call the motel direct, with no answer. Big surprise. Am I calling the wrong people?

NOT OPEN last time i went by there. That area was hit with high and hard storm surge. It has been a while though.

I will check it out. February you may be okay for a stay if it looks like they are making progress..

Im not sure which Holiday Inn, but our wedding planner says the one we were going to use in Feb still has too much damage, so she is getting us rooms at San Luis. Im not sure which one that was...

The San Luis is far nicer than HI Resort next door.

Promise you should be much happier there, especially with the special occasion. You will see when you get there. :D

Thanks Galveston Cruiser. Maybe you can help me with something else. We like to drag a trailer to the state park in September and November during the fish run. From what I can see on the satellite photos, the park looks bad. Do you think it will take long for it to get back up? Looks like a lot of beach erosion.

Thanks

Archived