Small Dog on Board Constellation Transatlantic

oshawa

On my recent transatlantic cruise on the Constellation I was very surprised to see a very small dog as a cruise passenger. When I questioned Guest Relations re the Celebrity policy on dogs other than seeing eye dogs I was informed that there did not seem to be a policy. I was somewhat surprised when I saw the dog also on one of the transfer buses held by its owner and in response to a question from another passenger noticing that the dog was visibly upset, the owner responded ... he/she doesn't like sightseeing!

I kid you not this actually happened. Don't get me wrong I love dogs but didn't think they would be permitted as passengers! Is this a health concern on a confined vessel?

On my recent transatlantic cruise on the Constellation I was very surprised to see a very small dog as a cruise passenger. When I questioned Guest Relations re the Celebrity policy on dogs other than seeing eye dogs I was informed that there did not seem to be a policy. I was somewhat surprised when I saw the dog also on one of the transfer buses held by its owner and in response to a question from another passenger noticing that the dog was visibly upset, the owner responded ... he/she doesn't like sightseeing!

I kid you not this actually happened. Don't get me wrong I love dogs but didn't think they would be permitted as passengers! Is this a health concern on a confined vessel?

There have been quite a few threads on this board about dogs on board. Don't forget that it's not just "seeing" dogs, but others service dogs too. =X= aren't going to allow a dog on their ships unless there is a good reason and documentation to back it up. Go to the Disabled Cruise Travel board. There's lots of info there.

Phil

I'm not sure if this is still the case but it used be a recognised way of transporting pets across the Atlantic instead of flying them. As long as they are vaccinated I don't see a problem with it. I'd be more concerned about the welfare of the dog than the other passengers !

We were on the transatlantic also,and I actually asked the owner of this dog how this dog was allowed on ship;she said she is a hearing dog for her husband.I never did see the husband but she was a sweet little thing,(the dog).Owner was abit put out I asked about it,oh well just curious.

Well, at least it ain't the pig that one woman claimed was her therapy pet. She won a court battle to allow her to bring her pig on flights.

As someone with allergies, having an animal on a confined space like a ship would be of concern. I mean, they are now discontinuing peanuts on flights and ships, so where is the thought behind this?

Well, at least it ain't the pig that one woman claimed was her therapy pet. She won a court battle to allow her to bring her pig on flights.

As someone with allergies, having an animal on a confined space like a ship would be of concern. I mean, they are now discontinuing peanuts on flights and ships, so where is the thought behind this?

So there we have it....When Pigs Fly....:eek:

Worked in a supermarket a few years ago and a woman came in all the time with her service parakeet.. Service animals come in all shapes and sizes, just get a doctor to sign a form...

Hmmm....this gives me an idea:

How about an emotional therapy parrot that "stands up for" the passive and shouts "CHAIR HOG!" or "GET OUT OF THE HOT TUB, KIDDIES" or something along those lines at appropriate times? :D

I understand. As for myself, while I don't have a specific pet allergy, I have an ultra-keen sense of smell and am allergic to flea bites, so when I notice that a hotel states it is "pet friendly" and the hotel is, otherwise, a place I might like to stay, I call and make sure that it is "human friendly" too and has some of its desirable rooms set aside that are never occupied by pets.

... I actually asked the owner of this dog how this dog was allowed on ship;she said she is a hearing dog for her husband.I never did see the husband but she was a sweet little thing,(the dog).Owner was abit put out I asked about it,oh well just curious.

Hmmm....I saw this dog several times around the ship being carried by a woman. And you say it was supposed to be a service dog for the husband? And another poster said they saw the dog with the woman on a excursion?

Call me skeptical but something smells a little fishy about this dog.

I know there were a minimum of about 150 Cruise Critic posters on that cruise. Did any of you reading this see the dog? And if so did you see it with a man or a woman?

I'm not sure if this is still the case but it used be a recognised way of transporting pets across the Atlantic instead of flying them. As long as they are vaccinated I don't see a problem with it. I'd be more concerned about the welfare of the dog than the other passengers !

Why do you think they are putting grass lawns on their new ships? :D ;)

Hmmm....I saw this dog several times around the ship being carried by a woman. And you say it was supposed to be a service dog for the husband? And another poster said they saw the dog with the woman on a excursion?

Call me skeptical but something smells a little fishy about this dog

I tend to agree with you if the dog is supposed to be his service animal and yet it stayed with her. It sounds as if, in this case, the husband may be the one who was able to get a doctor to certify their pet (and I do mean pet) to be a service animal for him, but told his wife if she wants to bring their pet on vacation, it's up to her to be in charge of the pet.

I know there were a minimum of about 150 Cruise Critic posters on that cruise. Did any of you reading this see the dog? And if so did you see it with a man or a woman?

Hi Larry

I saw the dog and only ever with the woman - I know they (service dogs!) come in all shapes and sizes but it definitely didn't look like a service dog just a small yappy type.

Ok I'm not a dog expert so folks please don't flame me!

Pat

Hello,

Oshawa, are you from Oshawa? If so, I am your neighbor!

Yes, I live in downtown Oshawa in Parkwood Residences on Bond Street. Have you been on many cruises. As you can tell from my post we were on the Sept. transatlantic departing from Barcelona, this was our second transatlantic and we loved it.

By the way, the dog I was referring to on the post was a "tea cup" size dog.

This small dog was visible in all areas of the ship, and we only saw her with the woman. As a matter of fact, we never saw the husband at all. That doesn't mean he wasn't there, of course.

We were with Kimberly (Mylove) when the woman told her that the dog was a hearing dog for the husband.

Mary

Archived