Small Dog on Board Constellation Transatlantic

oshawa

Hi Larry

I saw the dog and only ever with the woman - I know they (service dogs!) come in all shapes and sizes but it definitely didn't look like a service dog just a small yappy type.

Ok I'm not a dog expert so folks please don't flame me!

Pat

I don't know how it is in England (which I love by the way) or other countries but all you have to do in the the US is get a doctor to sign off on it. I suppose you could get a service rat as long as it's signed by a doctor..

I don't know how it is in England (which I love by the way) or other countries but all you have to do in the the US is get a doctor to sign off on it. I suppose you could get a service rat as long as it's signed by a doctor..

Say no more! Or (as I think they say in your country) I hear ya!:rolleyes:

We were on the transatlantic also,and I actually asked the owner of this dog how this dog was allowed on ship;she said she is a hearing dog for her husband.I never did see the husband but she was a sweet little thing,(the dog).Owner was abit put out I asked about it,oh well just curious.

Hi All,

Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe the reason the owner was put out is that you are basically asking her what her disability is (in this case is was her husband). If they were in a wheelchair you wouldn't ask what was wrong because that would be rude and insensitive. By asking what the dog did, you were basically asking the same question.

Again, don’t take it the wrong way, you didn't know. It's just that no one thinks about that. My wife has a service dog and she gets some of those questions. She doesn't get upset because most people don't really know what they are asking. She just says it is a service dog. They don't need to know what it does.

Now, the person might have been upset because it wasn't a "true" service dog and they felt like they needed to defend it. I'm sure that happens.

And no, we do not take the dog on a cruise. Taking her would cause more stress and anxiety than not having her.

enjoy,

Duane

Only on the transatlantic crossings, and the animals must stay in the kennel area they have on the ship.

I have read this too, but it was my understanding that only in a kennel.

Geeze I wonder what the poor husband did while the "hearing dog" was with her.

Unfortunately people abuse the "dogs for disable".

Don't get me wrong I have a Chi/dachshund mix (Ms. CoCo Chanel) who weighs 6 pounds, she is a therapy dog and visits nursing homes and is involved in the local reading program at the library where children gain confindence in reading to a empathic anima.l I also have a rot. who is 6 years old and a very loving animal. I have two cats, Sophia and Jonah.

I trained drug detection dogs for 5 years, and have been a obedience trainer for 20 years. I hold obedience classes every 3 months with a waiting list.

I love em but I don't want any animal on a cruise, because some people just are not responsible for their pets and some people are highly allergic to dogs and other animals.

Plus in reality I feel it is not a comforable enviroment for dogs or any other animal.

I leave my animals in the loving care of a friend, or my children when I travel.

Hi All,

Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe the reason the owner was put out is that you are basically asking her what her disability is (in this case is was her husband). If they were in a wheelchair you wouldn't ask what was wrong because that would be rude and insensitive. By asking what the dog did, you were basically asking the same question.

Again, don’t take it the wrong way, you didn't know. It's just that no one thinks about that. My wife has a service dog and she gets some of those questions. She doesn't get upset because most people don't really know what they are asking. She just says it is a service dog. They don't need to know what it does.

Now, the person might have been upset because it wasn't a "true" service dog and they felt like they needed to defend it. I'm sure that happens.

And no, we do not take the dog on a cruise. Taking her would cause more stress and anxiety than not having her.

enjoy,

Duane

"basically asking her what her disability is (in this case is was her husband)"

I know it was inadvertent but you said her disability was her husband. I'm sure there are a lot of wives out there who would concur including mine...

But did he adhere to the dress code????:D

On my recent transatlantic cruise on the Constellation I was very surprised to see a very small dog as a cruise passenger. When I questioned Guest Relations re the Celebrity policy on dogs other than seeing eye dogs I was informed that there did not seem to be a policy. I was somewhat surprised when I saw the dog also on one of the transfer buses held by its owner and in response to a question from another passenger noticing that the dog was visibly upset, the owner responded ... he/she doesn't like sightseeing!

I kid you not this actually happened. Don't get me wrong I love dogs but didn't think they would be permitted as passengers! Is this a health concern on a confined vessel?

"basically asking her what her disability is (in this case is was her husband)"

I know it was inadvertent but you said her disability was her husband. I'm sure there are a lot of wives out there who would concur including mine...

Sorry no disrespect meant but I don't understand your last post.:confused:

What is the wife to concur too?

Sorry no disrespect meant but I don't understand your last post.:confused:

What is the wife to concur too?

That their husband's are their disabilities. When she wrote the post she forgot to put an apostrophy S on the word husband. This changed the meaning.

I think the woman was very lucky to bring her dog even if it was for her husband. I usually cruise with my mother and as she is getting older perhaps she will need a therapy dog someday. Since I live in FL I would love to take my dog on a cruise with me. He is nonallergenic and does not shed. He looks like the dog Freeway from "Hart to Hart" and is the same breed. I know a lot of people would rather leave the dog at home and enjoy their vacation but it is not easy to find good people to pet sit. I have paid over $1200 each time for petsitters for 2 - 3 weeks. Celebrity finally changed the smoking policy and added Aqua Class. I know it is low on the priority list but perhaps the definition of therapy dogs could be expanded on the ship. When I read about the new lawn club I thought how perfect! The Queen Mary has a kennel but they limit the amount of time (5 visits per day) you can spend there with your dog or cat.

Canines I M H O are so much nicer than many passengers, staff and crew

too.

Most Cruise Lines allow Service Animals only . One Cunard which Carnival Corp. CCL CUK :NYSE : LSE owns has kennels aboard and even special food and bisquit preparations. It is also rather costly to have these traveling companions aboard to the passenger in fees. And they do not even get Frequent Cruiser Points...LoL..

We have interviewed the Master Chef, Kennel Master, Captain etc and still find a Wish many other Cruise Lines and ships would have facilities for them.

yes both Dogs and cats...

Our Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers were just filmed,. again, for Dogs 101 on Animal Planet. This breed is great and has hair like us humans..so people which have allergies are not allergic to them...

PS: on your last health concern... The passengers, staff and crew on Ships can and do carry Noro Virus. etc...etc....by ..lets say not providing themselves with adequate sanitary methods.. yes even simple washing of hands with hot water and soap after using the W.C.

Dogs and cats are much better in sanitary methods,,, and owners do take responsibility ! Again so much better than some Passengers, Staff and Crew do!

On my recent transatlantic cruise on the Constellation I was very surprised to see a very small dog as a cruise passenger. When I questioned Guest Relations re the Celebrity policy on dogs other than seeing eye dogs I was informed that there did not seem to be a policy. I was somewhat surprised when I saw the dog also on one of the transfer buses held by its owner and in response to a question from another passenger noticing that the dog was visibly upset, the owner responded ... he/she doesn't like sightseeing!

I kid you not this actually happened. Don't get me wrong I love dogs but didn't think they would be permitted as passengers! Is this a health concern on a confined vessel?

Canines I M H O are so much nicer than many passengers, staff and crew too.

Our Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers were just filmed,. again, for Dogs 101 on Animal Planet.

Oh, I agree...dogs are unconditional. ;)

I love Wheaten Terriers! Wow, congratulations on your TV stars! Very cool indeed! :D

Back on topic....there are service animals that run the gamut, including horses.

http://guidehorse.org/

http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

..Back on topic....there are service animals that run the gamut, including horses....

I don't want to sound insensitive to the disabled, but I think I'd have a problem if someone brought a horse on the ship, even if it was a "service horse".

Well, at least it ain't the pig that one woman claimed was her therapy pet. She won a court battle to allow her to bring her pig on flights.

As someone with allergies, having an animal on a confined space like a ship would be of concern. I mean, they are now discontinuing peanuts on flights and ships, so where is the thought behind this?

Allergies to smoking, allergies to animal, allergies to kids, what is next. I would sooner see a animal, even a pig ugh, than a bad behaved kid on board. I would love to take my cat, dog, horses with me if they wouldn't be too much trouble. My horses could keep the grass grazed on the lawn deck. Just think about it.:)

The day that they start lettting animals cruise is the day I will double my cruising;)

And as for the assigning of "human emotions" there's another example of humans barging in and claiming things that are not necessarily theirs to take for themselves exclusively. Emotions aren't exclusive to humans. If you watch those elephants grieve for their fallen babies or that poor gorilla who lost its kitten to the automobile wailing in her quarters - all by herself, with no coaching - you can't tell me that this is not real emotion. My animals sense loss in their own way - but it is real.

BC

I also saw (and heard) the little white dog - jumping from a chair to bed and barking as I walked by the open door on deck 6 - I WAS surprised and asked our Suite butler how she was allowed to have a dog onboard....he said something about being a "service" dog as well. Just thought it was interesting..I have 2 small dogs ;) Did anyone hear anything about the helicopter airlift pax on our cruise? (9/9/08)

And as for the assigning of "human emotions" there's another example of humans barging in and claiming things that are not necessarily theirs to take for themselves exclusively. Emotions aren't exclusive to humans. If you watch those elephants grieve for their fallen babies or that poor gorilla who lost its kitten to the automobile wailing in her quarters - all by herself, with no coaching - you can't tell me that this is not real emotion. My animals sense loss in their own way - but it is real.

BC

I agree 100% with you.

Some people must have a heart made of tin.

To qualify as a 'service' animal (by law) the animal must be necessary to the owner in order for the owner 'to perform the normal functions of everyday life'.

Unfortunately for those that tuly need an animal 'to perform the normal functions of everyday life', there are sevice animals and then there are 'service animals' (nudge, wink) hence scepticism arises.

Needless to say, a lot of service animals don't really qualify, but the cruise lines aren't in the business of challenging prospective passengers who come armored with 'certificates' and attitudes. Why bother separating the wheat from the chaff? Some people do need them. Historically, ships carried pets... C'mon folks, back when every nearly night was formal night (in first class); formal meant 'White Tie' and semiformal meant 'Black Tie'...

Don'tcha want cruising to be like the 'good old days'! :D

Archived