my trip to st thomas/coki beach.

chenning

we arrived this past saturday i believe oct 4th in st thomas....when we arrived in port it was a bit gloomy, few drops of rain, but the rain quickly passed within 15 mins..so we go off the boat and you walk along a fence and then once you walk through the fence, you are in the "shopping" area....they didnt open i think until around prob 8, but im not sure because we went snorkeling only...we had no problem getting a cab right away we were basically the first couple people off the boat...we went right to coki beach, its 9$ p/person each way, so 18$ p/person round trip...our cab driver was very nice and very willing to give us alot of facts about the island....i have to say i was kinda of let down because i had invisioned it to be like all palm trees, white sand etc, and the areas i saw were quite the opposite...we traveled along rt 38 to coki beach took the better part of 20 mins(with NO traffic)...it was quite different to be driving on the opposite side of the road, i always felt like we were going to get into a accident....so along the drive we saw many poor run down shantys/homes along the way, it was a very VERY poor area...we arrived and coki beach and right away i was shocked how different it looks in person...the beach its self is absoluetly beautiful as long as your looking out at the water, if you turn around its like looking at a 3rd world country....all the "bars" and places to eat along the beach , are very run down shacks, 1 of which is like a old bread or as many people refer to as "grease truck" or "roach coach"...you could not pay me to eat any type of food from these places, the only thing we got was bottled water and soda because they came in their own bottles....nothing on the beach opened till about 830am ish...when we arrived we were the only "tourists" there, but there were alot of islanders in the water...we didnt feel to safe at first, and we felt very out of place...so we had to wait till like 815 for the snorkel guy to come so we could rent a locker...it costs 5$ and with that 5$ you also get 3 big dog bones to feed the fish with....the lockers are also very run down, rusted, and dirty...but out stuff was safe...there were a few chickens running around the beach, and some crabs so be careful...alot of people come around asking you if you want to rent chairs etc.....and me personally i would not rent the snorkel equiptment, because the man that had the shack didnt look that clean him self, but if your willing to risk your health by all means be my guest haha....so once it was all locked up we went snorkeling...the water was beautiful, nice and warm, very clear...TONS of fish, there was a massive school of fist, along with a bunch of angel fish, rainbow striped fish, blue fish, fish that blended in with the sand, as well as crabs that did the same, many coral and awesome sea shells...now they say its "illegal" to take sea shells from the islands..but i did and i had absolutley no problem, so help your self...there was another RCCL ship in port, and other guests didnt come around till like 9am...so we were the only ones, along with the islanders there for awhile..it did get quite busy....we had a great time and felt much more safe when other people came around besides us....we had no problem getting a cab back, but we hit a little traffic and even with a short cut it still took about 35 mins, so definetly give your self atleast 1 hour to get back before your ships due to leave, 1 and 1/2 if your smart....better to be early then to be without your ship...so on the way back one of the natives yelled to us from outside the cab calling saying " get out of here you ******g crackers"...i thought that was a pleasent hello considering they survive because we vacation there...anyways after we changed we went shopping rght in the ship port...there are 6 or 7 buildings of shoppings and i kid you not when i say 90% of the stores are nothing but jewelry,alcohol, perfume cologne and watches...thats it, a couple souviener stores and thats it....its kind of annoying all the stores are the same.. packs of cigerrettes were $3.50, and cartons were about maybe 1-2$ cheaper then on board...alcohol was a bit cheaper too but not a huge difference, just a few bucks and bigger variety....and also be prepared every 10 feet to get asked if you want a taxi, they really are a pain in the ass with this...one guy even called us cheap because we didnt want a taxi because we just were staying in the area near the port...very rude...now again i didnt get to see the "nice" parts or the nicer beaches, but i still would go back and give it a second chance, and definetly goto magens bay, or some of the other "resort" type beaches.....well i hope this would help answer peoples questions...the snorkeling was excellent, and the beach was beautiful...any other questions dont be afraid to ask...happy cruising

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciated you honest insights into the area around Coki beach and when you first arrived. I had read before that the area around Coki is rather shady.

Also, regarding the taking of shells. I respectfully disagree with your comments about this. The islands have made it illegal to take anything out of the water. There is a reason for this, they are trying to maintain the beauty and ecology of the sea. Ok..one shell is one thing, but with the number of visitors St. Thomas has, if everyone took a few, think of the result. The issue is not one of whether or not you will be caught, but respect for their laws and their desire to protect what they have. As visitors it is important that we respect that.

Not trying to give a lecture, just wanted to give you another perspective. I'm glad you had a wonderful time and I do appreciate your review of Coki since I have never been there.

We've been to Coki a couple of times. I found that going during the week is much different from the weekend. Back in 2004 there was not as much "commerical" activity at the beach, it was pretty much deserted. Things change not necessarily for the better.

On another note, give me Long Beach Island (Jersey Shore) any day! No snorkeling, but beautiful, clean beaches.

I agree that the "shacks" that served food looked a little rundown, but I can honestly say that I got the best cheeseburger on my last cruise from one of them and their daquiris were good too. I kind of liked the place myself. The beach was very nice. Not bad for a beach day.

well i congradulate you on your burger , lol your alot more daring then i am haha...i do agree it does make a great beach day, i just wish that i had went and saw magens bay, or sapphire..eh always next time! happy cruising

I agree that the "shacks" that served food looked a little rundown, but I can honestly say that I got the best cheeseburger on my last cruise from one of them and their daquiris were good too. I kind of liked the place myself. The beach was very nice. Not bad for a beach day.

how was the price of the food, expensive?

when we were at Cokie Beach (a few years back) we had ordered a pizza from a lady that was walking around asking if we wanted drinks/food.........we ordered a large pizza and some beers which she delivered to us at our beach blanket - must say that the pizza was pretty good and don't recall it being terribly expensive. I thought the beach was beautiful :)

how was the price of the food, expensive?

Actually I can't remember what I paid, but don't think it was really high. My guess is probaly about $7 for the burger, which you order through and have delivered by the beach waiters. I think the frozen drinks were probaly about the same.

Even if the food is good and cheap, I don't want to eat it if the places and people making it look unsanitary. :(

The shacks were a little ramshackle but I never looked behind the counter to see how sanitary it looked. I was assured by the waiter that the food was safe and took a chance. I have a very sensitive stomach, but fortunately no problems. This is not what I'd call a ritzy beach by any means, but the beaches were clean and nice and the stands were operated by the locals that were not on the well off side.

When we are on a cruise ship with all the food we could ever want to eat, we don't usually think about eating on shore. Yes those shacks are run down and some folks may not look like they came off 5th avenue, but this is how they make a living. We like to experience other locations and respect and are grateful for what we have. Coki is a lovely beach with gentle snorkleing. Give it a try is you want to experience some of St. Thomas.

Bon Voyage

for a couple of hours, coki beach was fun.

i collected a ton of beach glass. :D

they gave us bags of dog food to feed the fish.

and there are thousands of fish that love dog food.:eek:

i too collected some sea glass, it was a mission i was sent on from my mom haha thats all she said to bring her was sea glass...i didnt find as much as i was hoping, i just found the usual brown and green, i did happen to stumble across a white piece, with some blue on it...but other then that, the finds were nothing above average.....and as far as prices go...again i did not order food, me and my friends ordered 2 cokes, and 1 bottle of water, and paid 6$ total for all 3 drinks, which isnt bad

The shacks were a little ramshackle but I never looked behind the counter to see how sanitary it looked. I was assured by the waiter that the food was safe and took a chance. I have a very sensitive stomach, but fortunately no problems. This is not what I'd call a ritzy beach by any means, but the beaches were clean and nice and the stands were operated by the locals that were not on the well off side.

Just a thought. Cruise ships sparkle and shine but 1000's come down with Noro Virus.;)

Did anyone here go to "Coral World" too?

We are planning to go to Coral World and also spend some time at Coki Beach (next door) too. How far of a walk is it? Should we go to the Beach first?? We'll be there on a Monday in Jan/09. Do they have lounges/umbrellas for rent?

Thanks in advance for any info/advise you can share with us.

Pat :)

Did anyone here go to "Coral World" too?

We are planning to go to Coral World and also spend some time at Coki Beach (next door) too. How far of a walk is it? Should we go to the Beach first?? We'll be there on a Monday in Jan/09. Do they have lounges/umbrellas for rent?

Thanks in advance for any info/advise you can share with us.

Pat :)

yes, there are chairs and things for rent on coki beach..i believe they r like 5 bucks, but im not 100% on the cost

Two notes...

All shells, coral, fish (unless harvested for food) and other marine life are protected in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Please respect the local laws and the islands' natural resources. Take away photos and memories but leave shells, coral, marine life where they belong.

Feeding fish & other marine life food not natural to there diet can be harmful to them. See: http://www.reefrelief.org/science_body4.html.

Thanks,

--Islander

Two notes...

All shells, coral, fish (unless harvested for food) and other marine life are protected in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Please respect the local laws and the islands' natural resources. Take away photos and memories but leave shells, coral, marine life where they belong.

Feeding fish & other marine life food not natural to there diet can be harmful to them. See: http://www.reefrelief.org/science_body4.html.

Thanks,

--Islander

Thank you for clarifying this. Is the law regarding taking away shells or coral pretty standard throughout the Caribbean?

I wish more people would think beyond the moment and realize the impact on the ecosystem and enviornment.

Archived