Tickets to the Colosseum

I'm interested in avoiding lines at the colosseum. I read somewhere on the CC board a while back about good places to get tickets there as well as online. I've searched and searched and cannot locate the original post.

So, trusty fellow CCs, where does one go about getting tix to the Colosseum?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

If you are talking about getting them onsite, it is the Palatine Hill ticket office that usually has no line. A ticket purchased here is good for the Colosseum, the Forum (formerly free) and Palatine Hill.

Here is detailed information from an earlier post on where this is located (a few steps from the Colosseum):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=832312&highlight=palatine+hill

We purchased our tickets through Tickitaly before we went to Rome last summer. It was perfect. We by-passed all the line-ups and went to a wicket for reservations and handed over the ticket confirmation. A good book to pick-up in Rome before viewing the Colosseum is called "Rome - Transparent Overlays of Archaeological Sites" cost 11E. It is excellent; showing the sites as they are today and then with the overlay you can see how they were when constructed.

Review and photos of our Med. cruise including 6 nights in Rome in the links below:

Here's the link:

http://www.ticketclic.it/

We just got back yesterday. I was SO glad that we did this. We walked right past all the long lines & straight in. It was awesome. I don't know why everyone on CC doesn't use this process. Especially for first timers. Everything was so confusing, I'll glad we weren't trying to find the Palatine ticket office. We were there, and I still don't know where it is, but this way we didn't even have to worry about it. We got inside & put on our MP3 player with my free Rick Steves audio tour I downloaded & off we went. It was perfect. Side note: we were here first thing in the morning. We went over to the Vatican about 1pm & there was no line.

Here's the link:

http://www.ticketclic.it/

We just got back yesterday. I was SO glad that we did this. We walked right past all the long lines & straight in. It was awesome. I don't know why everyone on CC doesn't use this process. Especially for first timers. Everything was so confusing, I'll glad we weren't trying to find the Palatine ticket office. We were there, and I still don't know where it is, but this way we didn't even have to worry about it. We got inside & put on our MP3 player with my free Rick Steves audio tour I downloaded & off we went. It was perfect. Side note: we were here first thing in the morning. We went over to the Vatican about 1pm & there was no line.

Glad it worked out for you. We intend to do this. I just thought I'd emphasize though (for those reading this thread) that the link you have given is not the same as tickitaly. The company you used charge an extra 1.50 euros service charge per ticket, whereas tickitaly ( http://www.tickitaly.com/tickets/colosseum-tickets.php ) charge an extra 4.50 euros per ticket, so be careful. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Rome on Sunday Oct. 26 and got tickets for all 3 sites at the entrance to the Hill. The ticket booth employees speak English so no problem communicating what we wanted. We finished up by the Forum, returned the audio guides and walked over to the Colloseum. Watch for the signs that are for previously purchased tickets, ticket holders & groups. Just walk in that line to the turnstile and insert your ticket. The line up to buy tickets was about 1 hour, according to the tour guides that you can hire outside the gate. We did not use a guide or rent an audio guide as there were many tours going on as it was crowded on Sunday so we just listened to the different tour guides shouting over the noise! The audio guides at the Hill had good info but the map that they give at the gate wasn't very easy to follow. We found that none of the different areas are physically marked so it was often hard to decide where we were!

I'm interested in avoiding lines at the colosseum. I read somewhere on the CC board a while back about good places to get tickets there as well as online. I've searched and searched and cannot locate the original post.

So, trusty fellow CCs, where does one go about getting tix to the Colosseum?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

The Palatine Hill archway entrance where you can buy combination tickets is on the right hand side of the street just a few hundred yards up the street south of the Arch of Constantine. Be sure to allow an hour or so to walk through Palantine Hill, which is located between the Roman Forum and the Circus Maximus, the stadium where chariot races were held in ancient times. From the south side of Palatine Hill you get a great overview of Circus Maximus. From the gardens in the northeast corner of Palatine Hill, you get a great overview of the Roman Forum and the Colosseum and can see see St. Peter's Basilica in the distance.

Leaving for Rome on Saturday for 4 nights before boarding cruise ship. Purchased online a Roma Pass at to be picked up at Fiumicino Airport when we arrive Sunday morning and I think our first big "freebie" will be entrance to the Colisseum. So, it's stick to the left of the entranceway for passes? I guess someone is there to validate the Roma Pass first time use?

If you are talking about getting them onsite, it is the Palatine Hill ticket office that usually has no line. A ticket purchased here is good for the Colosseum, the Forum (formerly free) and Palatine Hill.

That's what we did, quite by accident. I didn't care either way about going into the Colosseum, but we wanted to go to Palatine Hill and the Forum. There was no line at the ticket office, and the 12 euro ticket was good for the Colosseum too.

We purchased the Roma Pass across the street from the Forum. Used our two free admissions for the Forum and then two days later for the Colosseum. We didn't have to stand in a line either time. The Roma pass was then used during our 3 days for public transportation.

thank yoouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

I was having anxiety about finding all of these places for the first time and I have just avoided that stress by printing two tickets for access to the Colesseum this November....soon!

GRAZIE!

CIAO!

MICHELLE Y PETER

CANCUN, MEXICO

Archived