THIS IS IMPORTANT SO READ IT...carry on bag!!!!!

mikeblum

it kills me to see people boarding th ship on embarkation day and they are waiting around in long pants and heavy shirts or sweaters for their luggage to show up so they can change into something alot more comfortable...the all important cary on bag...you may not get you luggage delivered to your room for hrs after boarding...think and be smart...pack in a spearate carry on bag what you think you may need to enjoy the first 4 to 6 hrs onboard...ie...swim suit...hat...sun glasses...sun tan lotion...medications...camera...you waited along time to get a vacation of a life time going no need to wait any longer...pack smartly...and most important...ENJOY YOUR CRUISE... THIS IS INTENDED FOR ALOT OF THE NEWBIES...

I would also add, to make sure that all valuables, medicines, cameras, and anything else you would definitely need for a couple of days, in the event that the airlines lose or delay your luggage. On our cruise 2 weeks ago, we had 2 sea days at the start. When we arrived at our first port there was a van waiting for us that was unloading luggage for the ship. They had over a dozen bags, which I assume were for folks that did not get their luggage before sailing.

Hypo

Good advise, especially the medication! Even if you are flying into a port you can at the port, pull out a tote bag and pull from a suitcase some initial day essentials.

When we travel, we pack what we will need the first day in one bag, so it is easy to pull out once at the port to put in our carry on tote bag.

If we are driving, we just pack the carry on tote bag at home.

Wow wonder which port that was. In Texas I only remember seeing everyone in tee shirts and shorts and casual clothes. Dont remember folks wearing long heavy pants, maybe more travel further to ports like Florida than what you see in Texas.

No one would have to tell me this, its hot where I live too.

HYPO AND SAM good feedback...especially or those who have never cruised before...little feeback or input from some of the good timers really can help make those first couple of hrs onboard good or bad...it kills me to see folks flying down from the north on embarkation day dressed likes it going to be 25 degree's in miami...just be smart and try to think ahead...what will i need in the first 5 or 6 hrs before getting my luggage delivered to our cabin...

I just wear my bathing suit underneath my clothing that day and then bring along sunscreen, sunglasses, camera, magazines, etc in my carryon so I can relax at the pool after eating at the WJ!:D

Another related tip for newbies - if you want to swim before your room is available, there are very nice changing and shower facilities (also steam and sauna , separate for men and women) in the spa - all free, just walk right in.

I just want to clarify the need for the carry on.

We always pack a carry on when flying with all meds, extra change of clothes, basic needs (our suitcase was lost for 48 hrs once)

But this time we fly in the day ahead, will pack the usual carry on. Then when in the hotel, will put everything in the suitcase and use the carry on for pop and water. Then will use the beach bag for swimming suit, camera, sun screen and things needed on boarding day.

Does this sound ok?? Do we need to worry about the cruise lines losing our luggage??? Should we give them everything except beach bag (and of course valuables)

Does this sound ok?? Do we need to worry about the cruise lines losing our luggage??? Should we give them everything except beach bag (and of course valuables)

I keep everything I absolutely cannot get along without (meds, etc) in my possession at ALL times. Also all money, credit cards. passport. etc, and anything expensive like good camera's, etc,

Everything else (for me anyway) is ok in the checked luggage with the airline or cruise line.

Although everyone dresses casual the first night in the dining room, I always carry on clothes for dinner. Alot of people wear shorts into the dining room with the excuse that they haven't received their luggage. So besides the above suggestions we include, Dockers and a golf shirt for DH and capris and top for me. Nothing fancy, but we won't wear shorts in the dining room. We have had several cruises where we haven't received our luggage until after dinner.

So when they bring the luggage, they just sit it outside the door??? They don't put it in the room??

We will definetly give them the pop & water.

It could be late when your bags arrive. So once you get to your cabin and shut the door, then the bags sit outside your door.

All cruise lines do this. The people who deliver your bags don't have keys to each individual cabin.

Wow wonder which port that was. In Texas I only remember seeing everyone in tee shirts and shorts and casual clothes. Dont remember folks wearing long heavy pants, maybe more travel further to ports like Florida than what you see in Texas.

No one would have to tell me this, its hot where I live too.

I went to Disney World once over February vacation, with a family friend and her two kids. It was a group trip so it was a whole plane full of families. A huge -- HUGE -- blizzard started at about 6:00 a.m. the day we were supposed to fly out at 11:30 a.m. We went to the airport early and the flight actually took off 45 minutes early: the last plane out of PVD for a solid 24 hours.

But what that meant is that we hadn't been able to leave the snow boots and the winter coats in the car! We got to Orlando decked out for a full-on New England blizzard even though we'd meant to fly in jeans and T-shirts, haha.

My bags have always been put into my cabin! They've NEVER been just left outside my door!

once in 43 cruises my bags were in the stateroom........and I think it was

because it wasn't locked because we ate and wandered the ship first.

If your bags are locked, they are safe.....everyone is in the same boat.

I wouldn't bring valuables with me......electronics can disappear easily,

and surely you'd want to enjoy your cruise, not doing what you can do at

home.

I forgot.....we were fortunate to have a suite on QM2, and were asked if

we'd like our bags unpacked for us. That is the ultimate pampering...turned

it down mostly because of our less than stellar underwear.

I think the drill is that the people bringing the bags up from the dock, leave them by the door and your cabin steward puts them in the room since he/she has the master key. I don't think the people carrying the bags up from the dock have keys. I could be wrong, but that is what I think is happening.

have you ever been near the elevators on embarkation day around 3:30/4pm...there is a huge amt of luggage by the elevators and by the stair case...this luggage is put up on each floor by the cabin number on your tag thyat you put on the luggage...they have about 10 runners per floor with 2 wheeler hand carts that move it to the cabin door...yes your right the cabin steward is the only other person who has a master key card to your cabin besides you...so unless the cabin steward put your stuff in your cabin it's sitting there for you to do it...i think that's supposed to be another tipping moment for the cabin steward...wink wink nod nod...if you have ever gone up or down the stair case on the way to or from the fire muster drill you can see the luggage sitting there wating to be sorted out...these folks have this stuff down to a science...

We have been pretty lucky - knock on wood - our luggage is always there by muster or before and our cabin person normally brings it in the room for us

If flying - we always go the day before.

When boarding -if PC then wear our suits with coverups. If going out or Miami or SJ, then wear shorts and put suits/necessary sun stuff into our backpack that we carry on board. Anything valuable goes with. Never take clothes for evening. Worse case - IF the luggage did not make it by dinnertime, we would just go to WJ, but luckily have never had that problem.

For the most part we check everything. I see so many people lugging their stuff all over b/c they can't get into their rooms til 1. I don't want to do that. Take what I need, check the rest, and get to the pool and relax all afternoon until my luggage arrives.

I always pack a swimsuit and one set of extra clothes as well as a short list of essentials in my carry on which I take on the plane. Then take this with me at embarkation. I have never had my luggage lost by the airlines or the cruise lines (knock on wood) but I have read this board enough to know that it can happen. I figure with a suit and a change of clothes I can still be comfortable on vacation if my bags are lost. I would still have to do some laundry every day but I wouldn't be visiting the gift shop looking for something to wear.

Archived