Driving in Alaska

lawahoo2001

Following up on my initial post to this board, I would like to ask some questions of those of you with experience driving in Alaska (and who suggested that it is better than taking the train and/or bus).

How is cell phone coverage on the roads? I am highly paranoid about breaking down and being stranded. When we were in Honolulu a few years back, our brand new rental car broke down and it took them 2 hours to send a new car (from the Honolulu airport to downtown - a distance of 10 miles). I couldn't imagine how long it would take in Alaska, assuming I had cell phone coverage in the boonies. We use Verizon Wireless, btw.

What are the REAL-time driving distances b/t: (1) Denali and Anchorage, and (2) Seward and Anchorage? I really don't like that the roads are 2-lane highways and that you can get stuck in an RV line.

What about road "hazards"? Are the roads bad? Are there major potholes? (I know that cold weather, even in VA where I live, causes bad potholes - couldn't even imagine what would happen in Alaska). Are moose and other wildlife potential issues when driving? Don't want to kill anything, including myself!

Some feedback would be wonderful - thanks everyone!:o

Following up on my initial post to this board, I would like to ask some questions of those of you with experience driving in Alaska (and who suggested that it is better than taking the train and/or bus).

How is cell phone coverage on the roads?

Depends on your phone. But you won't be anyplace there won't be plenty of people with phones willing to help you.

What are the REAL-time driving distances b/t:

http://www.alaska.net/~apl/drivingdistances.html

I always assume I'll only make 50 mph...that allows for traffic, road construction, wildlife/scenery sightings, coffee/outhouse breaks, etc.

I really don't like that the roads are 2-lane highways and that you can get stuck in an RV line. Law states if there are 5 vehicles behind an RV, it must pull over ASAP to let others pass

What about road "hazards"? Are the roads bad? Are there major potholes?

No, and no...not where you will be driving, and potholes will be marked if for some reason there are any.

Are moose and other wildlife potential issues when driving?

Yes, but not so much the time of year you'll be here. I've been driving here for 40 years...haven't hit or been hit by a moose yet. Knock on wood. Some guy in Anchorage hit a bear this fall, right downtown. That was extremely rare!

I really think you would enjoy driving more than bus and train.

I spent two weeks driving around Alaska and it's so easy that I don't understand why anyone would leave the driving to someone else. With a car you have so much freedom to stop where you want, stay where you want, leave when you want, etc. It made the trip a lot better for us.

My cell provider is associated with Verizon and I was pleasantly suprised by how often I had signal on our trip last June. We drove from Seward to Healy and back to Anchorage and every time we checked it we had signal. Not knowing what to expect on our first trip to Alaska and seeing the coverage we had I was very glad we got a car and drove. That being said I'm sure there are places with suspect coverage but hey, I've had dropped calls in my own driveway so don't let that be your sole determining factor. Have a great trip!:)

I really think you would enjoy driving more than bus and train.

Agree. 100%. I patrolled practically every highway up there for several years. Potential driving hazards unique to Alaska (moose, especially in winter, etc.) do exist but none justifying this concern IMO. Just drive the same in Alaska as you do where you live, work, commute, vacation, etc.

I would worry more about the drive from your home to the airport.

A former Alaska State trooper.

just don't get on that bridge to noooooooooooooooooowhere.

it's just like driving any rural roads. certainly less stress than urban driving.

though, re-reading your msg. if it's so stressful, don't do it. use other transportation that doesn't rely upon you.

sorry if this has a lack of compassion, but to take a vacation that you're having anxiety attacks about before you leave home??!!

You're probably looking at 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Anchorage to Denali and 2 1/2 hours from Anchorage to Seward. Several areas of the highways have a pullout lane. That's where the slower vehicle is suppose to get over in that lane so the faster vehicles can pass. As some else mentioned if you have 5 vehicles behind you, you're to move over or off the road so that they can pass.

Just let me say I'd much rather drive here then in the Lower 48 and I've been driving in this State for over 28 years.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Design and maintenance of highways in AK is excellent compared to what I'm used to in the Lower 48. I guess it's partly thanks to the state coffers, since the roads see a lot of severe weather and heavy loads. The roads are pretty straight with 65moh speed limits most of the time, wide shoulders, and good sightlines if you need to pass. There is a lot of truck and tour bus traffic up Parks Hwy and all sorts of interesting oil, construction, mining, and military stuff on flatbeds.

Our Verizon phones had good coverage in most places. Even if you did break down there is a fair amount of traffic (a vehicle every few minutes) so don't have visions of your car being buried in falling snow as wolves circle.... If you do break down it will probably be in front of Burger King or Target in Wasilla. :)

Archived