Theris' Roatan Tours -- Comments?

GeniRich

• 2 months later...

We have used her twice now and love her - she is a wonderful lady and will custom a tour to what you want to do.

Both times she has been waiting for us as we got off the ship.

We had some of our friends use her and they said it was the best day of their whole trip.

You can not go wrong with her.

Moya

We have used her twice now and love her - she is a wonderful lady and will custom a tour to what you want to do.

Both times she has been waiting for us as we got off the ship.

We had some of our friends use her and they said it was the best day of their whole trip.

You can not go wrong with her.

Moya

Thank you! We still have not decided because I would like to go to a hotel but also go to the beach. Not really sure what to do yet.

• 5 weeks later...

We arranged a private tour through Theris Dixon. (Just Google her name, you get to her web site.) We were not disappointed. Theris was standing on the curb just outside the port wall waiting for us with a huge smile. We took a short walk down the road where we were introduced to our guide, Ali. Ali is a wonderful guy. As we got started driving, we asked where we might be able to purchase some bottled water. He pulled over to a store in brought us each a large bottle of water and would not except payment for them. We asked him about the local currency. He gave us two bills as souvenirs. (Each only worth about 5 cents U.S., he told us. But we thought it was a nice gesture on his part.)

Our first stop was Carambola Gardens. If you are a plant lover, this is the place. The entrance fee was six dollars each. Ali asked if we wanted him to go through the garden with us. We said yes, and were glad we did. He is very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna. He was able to point out to us some wild rabbits that are native to the area. We probably wouldn’t have noticed them, and even if we had, would not have thought they were rabbits. They have little resemblance to the rabbits in the U.S. Also, keep a look out for the “Monkey La La” lizard. He is too cool! Also available for your enjoyment are extremely colorful hummingbirds. I could have spent the whole day there! But we were on a tight schedule. (By my design. I hoped to experience as much of Roatan as possible with the little time we had.)

Our next stop was the Butterfly gardens. About five dollars each, I think. Besides the beautiful butterfly’s, they have a lot of tropical birds and other native animals to enjoy. We were told they were brought in injured and are treated and taken care of. This is the closest I have ever been to a toucan. Also, some of the parrots have quite a vocabulary. In Spanish, no less.

Next stop- Half Moon bay for snorkeling. This was the first time for both my wife and me snorkeling. It was AMAZING! I realize these reefs are puny compared to the big reefs off shore, but WOW! If we ever get the opportunity to go back to Roatan, I will definitely allocate more time for half-moon bay. We also enjoyed a coconut shrimp lunch on a deck on the bay. While we were relaxing after the meal, Theris showed up and we enjoyed a nice conversation with her about life on Roatan. She is a very nice person.

Out of the blue, I asked Ali about getting a view of the bay from an elevated location. He was kind enough to go out of his way to take us up a nearby mountain where I got some nice shots of the bay.

Then it was time to head back to the dock. He got there in time for us to do some shopping for about an hour. The local gift “shops” are lined up on the road near the dock. Most have very similar items at very similar prices. We had been warned about the children who try to bug you for money. Well, we got our own two ‘personal guides’ while shopping. These two kids were a riot! The little one kept saying, “If you want to give me a dollar, I need to buy school clothes.” And “You can buy me a soda here, if you want to.” All the while, his brother was warning us of all the obstacles in our path- “Be careful here maam. There is a rock in the way.” Watch our sir, the sidewalk is broken here.” Every few minutes they were suggesting ways in which it would be a good idea for us to give them some money. If the end, we couldn’t resist. We had to give them a little something, if nothing else, for their persistence.

We were sad to have to leave Roatan.

Theris Dixon is THE way to go!

• 2 years later...

I agree, Theris Dixon is the way to go on Roatan. Her English is great. She is a very nice women with a lot of information and loves her island. Her communication with us prior to the trip was quick and accurate. She was waiting for us as scheduled.

We were able to customize our tour as much as we wanted, she gave us some suggestions and they were great. When we were at the west end and west bay she stayed. She stayed at a local restaurant and we were able to snorkel, swim, explore, shop as long as we wanted, no rush.

We loved everything about Roatan and I give all the credit to Theris Dixon. You won't go wrong using her.

We booked with them when we were there in early January; we were with Enry (I'm pretty sure he is Theris' husband).

We were very pleased with them/him. He was born & raised on the island so knows it & its' history well. Very, very nice guy.

We know the island well - used to own a house there but sold it a couple of years ago. We were there with a big group that included my wife's family (parents, brother & his family); they'd never been to the island so it was nice to show it to them. The day with Enry & Theris' company could not have been any better.

Archived