Passport/card for traveling closed loop ..

helicopter

recently someone asked the question on the board about needing a passport/card for same port (U.S., leaving and returning). People on the board replied that no the Homeland Security office had changed their requirements on closed loop cruise travel, I stated that I had called Carnival about this and had been told I needed a passport or card for ANY travel after June 1, 2009. Well after more replies on the board I called three more times (three different people) and they all said YES you will need one:confused: . I know they are best to have, but on the thread I was reading the lady didn't really want to get one for a one time trip (so please don't slam me about you should have one). Now I'm just curious about the truth. The lady at Carnival I was talking to went on line and read the gov. section with me and she says yes, and that is what they have been told.

recently someone asked the question on the board about needing a passport/card for same port (U.S., leaving and returning). People on the board replied that no the Homeland Security office had changed their requirements on closed loop cruise travel, I stated that I had called Carnival about this and had been told I needed a passport or card for ANY travel after June 1, 2009. Well after more replies on the board I called three more times (three different people) and they all said YES you will need one:confused: . I know they are best to have, but on the thread I was reading the lady didn't really want to get one for a one time trip (so please don't slam me about you should have one). Now I'm just curious about the truth. The lady at Carnival I was talking to went on line and read the gov. section with me and she says yes, and that is what they have been told.

Carnival contradictes themselves on there own website. From the FAQ's it says this:

What are the new passport requirements?

CRUISE TRAVEL

The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. To make sure you are prepared at your departure port, visit http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest and exact passport requirements

from this link: http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

But there website also says this:

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see http://www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

From this link: http://carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

The last link is the correct information according the all government websites. No idea why Carnival ppl keep saying this to ppl who call.

Here is another link that says the same thing from a government publication. Its on page 2 about have way down on the left side:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents

The link for this quote is from here(you will need adobe, I think :)) :http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

To add one more thing, Carival dude told me that as long as my cruise departed on or before May 31, 2008 all I would need is a BC and DL

A PC is good now or after June 1, 2009 for any cruise as long as you are returning to the US via Ship. PC is no good for Air travel into the US.

I thought that travel via cruise ship that began and ended in the same port only required a DL and BC. Am I incorrect?

Yes you are. We got the Passport card for the convenience of not having to haul around our BC, not to mention they are kinda cool looking.

Yes you are. We got the Passport card for the convenience of not having to haul around our BC, not to mention they are kinda cool looking.

no, cecrn is not incorrect. a drivers license and birth certificate is still accepted. and the passport card is not much better than that combo, because it is not valid for air travel, just like a BC, and intended for terrestrial crossing of borders, even if it looks cool.

BC and DL will still be good through summer 2009.

The lady at Carnival I was talking to went on line and read the gov. section with me and she says yes, and that is what they have been told.
Too bad the lady can't read. Apparently neither can her supervisors.

1. Here is the government website and here is the text on that site:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders#3

"Cruise Passengers. U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov."

2. AND, here is the actual Federal Regulation, 22 CFR 53.2 b(2):

From http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=8825c86e61d1917f634c36a3268c56fa;rgn=div2;view=text;node=20080403%3A1.24;idno=22;cc=ecfr;start=1;size=25

§ 53.2 Exceptions

(b) A U.S. citizen is not required to bear a valid U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States:

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

3. To repeat, here is Carnival's written policy from their website on this issue:

http://carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

"CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. "

Helicopter: If you want to hear a Carnival rep speak the truth and show knowledge, you are going to have a VERY long wait. :rolleyes: The facts are presented here--either read them for yourself or throw in the towel and get the passport. You could spend forever trying to educate the Carnival reps.

Lynyrd--Please note all the above. Did you perhaps misread INcorrect? A "Yes, we have no bananas" kind of thing?The passport cards do look kinda cool, but are not required by law for CECRN's cruise.

Archived