Skagway Train Question's

Jerseygirlinohio

Could someone please tell me what I would miss out on if I only took the roundtrip train to the summit verses the train that goes to Fraiser which crosses the canadian border and will cost me an extra 200.00 dollars for our passports? What is between the summit and fraiser? It sounds like just another six miles.

also has anyone traveled with the passport card successfully on the trip to Fraiser up by train back by coach trip? I know it is for travel by land and sea only not by air. It is half the cost and I don't intend to fly.

I think it is a always a good idea to travel with a passport. On an Alaska cruise in case of a medical emergency, I'd want to be able to seek medical attention in Canada if necessary! Plus, your passport is valid for 10 years, are your sure you won't want to leave the US anytime in the next 10 years!?

I can't really think of any reason to just get the card only. If you are going through the hassle of applying for a passport you might as well just get a real passport, imo.

Thank You Both for your answers.

Yukon, The link helped answer my biggest question. The pic's of the Klondike Highway looks awesome. Which leads me too another question. Do you recommend a certain tour/ company out of Skagway that will take the time to stop at the best places and absorb that beauty. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary, This trip was once only a dream we shared. We just want to make it perfect. Thanks again, Kym

Thank You Both for your answers.

Yukon, The link helped answer my biggest question. The pic's of the Klondike Highway looks awesome. Which leads me too another question. Do you recommend a certain tour/ company out of Skagway that will take the time to stop at the best places and absorb that beauty. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary, This trip was once only a dream we shared. We just want to make it perfect. Thanks again, Kym

Chikoot Tours gets rave reviews here for their train/bus combos in particular - http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/ (I know the owners fairly well and agree). Dream trips make great anniversary presents to each other - congratulations :)

Murray

Could someone please tell me what I would miss out on if I only took the roundtrip train to the summit verses the train that goes to Fraiser which crosses the canadian border and will cost me an extra 200.00 dollars for our passports? What is between the summit and fraiser? It sounds like just another six miles.

also has anyone traveled with the passport card successfully on the trip to Fraiser up by train back by coach trip? I know it is for travel by land and sea only not by air. It is half the cost and I don't intend to fly.

You could rent a car and drive yourself...We have done both and found driving was alot better..We could stop and explore at will..:)..We rented a Durango for just over 100 bucks plus gas..

Kelly

Archived