Goff's Caye- Belize

iluvdoxies

Anyone do this excursion in Belize? I know it's through the ship--and do you remember what time it was? Hoping not the crack of dawn---
It's one of the first excursions to depart the ship. The tour operators boats come to the ship to pick up the passengers on this tour, so you will not be part of the regular tendering process.

We did it. It was one of the first excursions leaving, but not at the crack of dawn! Great snorkeling, you can see our pictures at the link attached. However, I think the people doing the Shark Alley excursion had even better snorkeling than we did!

I did this excursion last year, and could not believe HOW tiny that island is!! I do believe Gilligan's Island was bigger!! The tender picked us up (around 9ish), and it took approx. 1/2 hour to arrive at the island. They hand out snorkleing gear, you find a good spot (they do not recommend under the trees.. falling coconuts!) They bring a pretty tasty lunch for us -- I remember it being surprisingly good! One of the tour guides found a lobster out in the ocean and brought it for us to see.. huge!! I just remember thinking if a storm came up.. there was no where to hide! It was peaceful, and quiet. Enjoy!

Karen

• 3 months later...

The tour through the ship doesn't offer lunch. We are doing this on our Glory cruise April 9th. There are two tours - one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Picks up and brings you back directly to the ship. No tendering into town. It's $59 per person. It's not cheap and probably you could do a full day tour at shark alley with the cruise line or an independent tour operator for $10-20 more. This, I think will work the best for us. We can get back to the ship for lunch and then take the tender into Belize and check out the shops. Goff's Caye has had excellent reviews on the Belize port of call board. Someone from RCCL even posted their photos. It looks great!

I only recall bottled water. On the Caye itself there is a covered pavilion where they sell cold beer and soda (at resonable prices). They also had a barbaque going and were selling burgers (I think they were burgers anyways:eek: ).

This is a real fun excursion, nice clear water, a lot of different fish species. I swam right next to a 6-foot great baracuda - one of my most memorable snokeling encouters ever.

I did this excursion off of the Glory in July 2003, so things have probably changed since then. However ....

There was a backup in tenders and tour operators, so we ended up sitting in the Amber Palace for at least 45 minutes after our assigned time, waiting for our tour group to be called (don't remember the time, but not too early). Once we got on the operator's boat, it was about a 30 minute trip to the Caye, where half of the passengers were let off on the beach, and the other half were taken out for snorkeling on the reef. These two groups were flip-flopped after a set amount of time. The caye itself is incredibly tiny, yet definately pretty, with quite a bit of shalllow water for wading. I seem to remember the beach as being pretty gritty with rocks and shells, but not too bad.

It is my most favorite place in the whole wide world. I am not a snorkle-er though, just wanted a beach day. We LOVED it. It is like your own little private island. I bought a t-shirt that says I'd Rather Be At Goffe's Caye. I have wore it out!!!

We did it. It was one of the first excursions leaving, but not at the crack of dawn! Great snorkeling, you can see our pictures at the link attached. However, I think the people doing the Shark Alley excursion had even better snorkeling than we did!

Yea shark/ray alley was some great snorkleing. We were the first ones to leave as soon as the ship dropped its anchor.

Archived